Bigfoot: Would You Shoot One?

Guest TooRisky

5 hours ago, gigantor said:

I think we need to separate rifles from sidearms, and also the situation: long range target shooting vs close range self-defense or opportunity kill shot.

Close range self-defense is the most interesting to me when I'm out in the woods. So I'm talking side arms.

Glocks seem to be the most reliable semi-autos with the striker design. WVFooter carries a 10mm Glock when we go out BFing. I carry my 1911 .45 ACP which I love, but it does jam every once in a while even though I maintain it religiously. It is very sensitive to temperature and very picky of the kind of ammo I feed it. I know it'll get the first round off no question. I know its mostly a psychological thing, it almost never jams, but it has on occasion and that bothers me.

My wife has an FNH 9mm "plastic" (hammer design) and I've pumped hundreds of rounds with all kinds of ammo and it has NEVER jammed, ever. They make a .45 ACP version which I like very much.

Yet, I'm now looking to get a 44 Magnum revolver as my preferred side arm when out in the field. There's just no substitute for total confidence in your last line of defense...

I agree that a side arm is preferred more so than a long gun.  I have a Glock 40 MOS which is a 10mm with a 6" barrel (KKM) and a reflex sight.  I love it and am more accurate with this than any other handgun.

When squatching, I carry my Ruger Toklat which is a 454 Casull. It has a 5" barrel which, for me, is perfectly balanced. The 7.5" barrel feels nose heavy while the Alaskan 2.5" barrel doesn't feel heavy enough. The Toklat is a fantastic revolver that you can shoot all day long at the range with 45 Colt. When you want the firepower of a 454 Casull you've got that too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll--DXOWPyA

Another option would be the S&W 450V in a 5" ported barrel. You could shoot 45 Colt, 454 Casull, or 460 S&W.

By the way, Ruger just introduced a new 10mm handgun in 1911 format.  I can't imagine the attraction of it compared to the Glock 40, especially when you can put a reflex sight atop the Glock.

P1020714.JPG

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

Some of us just don't like a Glock, reflex sight or not.  Nothing wrong with a Glock - just a personal thing/feel.

1 hour ago, FarArcher said:

Some of us just don't like a Glock, reflex sight or not.  Nothing wrong with a Glock - just a personal thing/feel.

You are absolutely correct. It is like a shoe...you need to wear what fits you properly.

Having said that, my Glock 40 MOS feels like a 2"x4" in my hand yet I shoot it the most accurate.  I also have a Dan Wesson 1911 that feels great in my hand yet I consistently have trouble with accuracy. Go figure,

In the interest of accuracy, the 460 S&W 5" ported-barrel model is a 460V not a 450V. Typo.  I've held it at a LGS and was very tempted to buy it on the spot but I already had the Toklat so I used the money elsewhere. 

The only drawback I could see is the weight. It is 60oz compared to 47oz for the Toklat.  If you're using it a base camp it's not an issue. If you are toting around for miles and miles, it will wear on you.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-460v-revolver-5

Edited by wiiawiwb

32 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

You are absolutely correct. It is like a shoe...you need to wear what fits you properly.

Having said that, my Glock 40 MOS feels like a 2"x4" in my hand yet I shoot it the most accurate.  I also have a Dan Wesson 1911 that feels great in my hand yet I consistently have trouble with accuracy. Go figure,

In the interest of accuracy, the 460 S&W 5" ported-barrel model is a 460V not a 450V. Typo.  I've held it at a LGS and was very tempted to buy it on the spot but I already had the Toklat so I used the money elsewhere. 

The only drawback I could see is the weight. It is 60oz compared to 47oz for the Toklat.  If you're using it a base camp it's not an issue. If you are toting around for miles and miles, it will wear on you.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-460v-revolver-5

I can tell you with great confidence - when/if one has a bad situation with one of these things - the 460 S&W - regardless of how heavy - will feel mighty small and possibly not up to the moment!

If I recollect off the top of my head, I think the 460 S&W puts out about the same energy as a .30-30.  I could be a bit off, but I seem to recall it hit me one time about that comparison.

And for the record - I wasn't the one talking about the 450 or 460's, regardless of barrel length.  

Yes, the 460V comment was directed to Gigantor. I posted it separately but the system merged the two posts unbeknownst to me.

I don't have any reservation that the 47oz Toklat will be too small much less the 460V.  I am fully confident a 360gr hard-cast, flat-nose 454 Casull round will take down anything that walks on North America.

A 190 gr Buffalo Bore round from a 30-30 produces 1,860 ft/lbs of energy at a velocity of 2,100 fps.

A 360 gr Buffalo Bore round from a 460 S&W produces 2,860 ft/lbs of energy at a velocity of 1,900 fps.

A 300 gr Buffalo Bore found from a 454 Casull produces  1,813 ft/lbs of energy at 1,650 fps.

A 430 gr Buffalo Bore round from a 45-70 levergun produces 3,537 ft/lbs energy at 1,925 fps.

I would pick a 45-70 if I wanted a long (brush) gun. The 460 S&W outshines the 30-30 while the 454 Casull is about equal. In the end, I'd take the other three over the 30-30 because they produce a substantially bigger hole.

• Upvote 1

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic