What's Your Ride?

Guest Bigfoot Hunter

I had to shuffle my fleet about 6 months ago, as my old 1,250,000 km work truck could not pass DoT inspection without   a huge injection of cash. I trashed the old workhorse, made my personal '04 GMC K3500 the worktruck, and went shopping for a group friendly 4x4 with reasonable economy and 5-6000 lb tow capacity. After looking at a lot of over-priced, high mile Jeep Rubicons, Cherokees, Highlanders, 4Runners, XTerras, and H3s, I stumbled across a slightly tatty looking, but low mile '05 Chev TrailBlazer EXT, which wasn't even on my wishlist radar. After a surprizing test drive, I went back to the dealer every week for a month. Each time it was still there, and each time, I made a lower offer. They finally caved in to get rid of me, and the "white elephant", so I'm now hitting the trails in this: It rides like a luxury sedan on the highway, yet hauls 4 less than dainty researchers up rough logging roads with ease. It does need a tad more ground clearance, and slightly taller, more aggressive tires, which are coming as budget allows.

post-23759-0-12173000-1422252485_thumb.j

post-23759-0-04554000-1422252535.jpg

post-23759-0-82043300-1422252766_thumb.j

if you're looking for parts give these folks a try  http://www.rockauto.com/

Yah, those guys are good, and there's car-part.com and eBay, but I'm up in Canada here and everything takes 2-3 weeks to get here. Not too many times you can predict what you'll need, and avoid having the car sitting most of a month waiting for it.

BCWitness, yah those Trailblazers are pretty nice. If I skewed my requirement slightly more heavy on the towing side, they'd make the cut for sure. the Straight 6 has almost as much grunt as the V8s.

Edited by Flashman2.0

Yeah, Flashman2.0, that was the first surprize when I did the test drive, that 4.2 I6 puts out 275HP, and 250 ft/lbs of torque, and is butter smooth. Off road, that torque is very managable, and has astonished some hardcore Jeepers that I've taken out on the trails. I already have the parts for a 2.5" lift, and upgraded rear springs and shocks, it's just a matter of getting those installed. Then the rubber will get swapped from all-seasons, to 2" larger all-terrains, about the biggest size I can go without regearing.

ETA: I've checked fuel mileage on 3 different tankfulls, and found the overall average has been 22 mpg (Imperial), or 17.6 mpg (US), for combined city, hwy, and some logging road runs, which is WAAAY better than the K3500 gets.

Edited by BC witness

Flashman,

I'm sure you've looked at subaru, they can be tight in the back seats for adults depending on year but meet other requirements well. 8.1" clearance for 2006 forester, 27 mpg hwy and good aftermarket support for the likes of skid plates/underbody protection, mild lift kit and suspension should you require it. 

I agree about going a non hybrid route, unless the thing near doubles the mileage of it's gas counterpart, the dual tech isn't worth it in the used market, unless batteries have been replaced recently.

good luck with the search.

Gotta agree on the Suby's, Kiwakwe. We have an '08 Tribeca with the 258 hp six cylinder boxer engine. Comfortable with five adults or fold the rear seats if you need more cargo room. Nice thing with those boxer engines is they are naturally counter balanced, no harmonic balancer required and they run forever; the low center of gravity they contribute to allows near car like handling with minimal body roll compared to other high profile rigs. We put Toyo AT/2 10 ply tires on last year and the performance is astounding in all conditions, dry road, rain, snow, ice, never driven anything like it. The only problem is convincing the local Subaru techs to ignore the 33 psi label in the door frame as these will get mushy under 40 psi. They've discontinued the Tribeca which is a shame so we have to take very good care of this one.

Local market for Subarus is whacky, first off I guess is that we only just got a local dealer so there's not been enough around to form a competetive used market, so 10 year old ones can be seen for 10k still, and even then I read the ads and they be like "No rust apart from in the usual Subaru  places... " ewwww.

Been thinking about Volvo XC70s also, but they're a similar kettle of fish to the Subarus, and may be horrendously unreliable if even breathed on by a non-Volvo mechanic.

Got a lemon-aid used car guide from the library, apparently everything is going to kill me if it doesn't die an expensive death first. They keep pointing me toward Hyundai SUVs but, one, they don't tow worth crap, two the gas mileage against anything similar sized seems bad (At least in the few year old ones) and three, there's been some Kias and Hyundais in the family that seem perfectly reliable out to about 7 years then everything goes bad fast. Fourthly, everyone I've known with the FWD Tucsons etc, have hated how they handle on snow, so not sure if they are going to be particularly competent with AWD.

Edit: On the towing thing, I don't necessarily take the figures advertised as gospel, since they are massaged for marketing and other reasons. I figure the chassis can handle as much as the top motor can, in the 80s/90s there were trucks with anemic 120HP V6s and 175HP V8s they gave 5000 and 10000 tow ratings to. I tend to look at Australian and European ratings also, they figure them a bit different, but sometimes you'll see they rate something 1000lb here because they're trying to sell "tow rig" trucks at 3 times the price, but it's rated at 2000kg, or approx 4400lb in Australia.

Edited by Flashman2.0

Then there is this, meets all criteria, full time 4wd, center diff lock, 32mpg hwy. stupid simple, EMP proof mechanical diesel. The top speed of 60 may be an issue but if BF is going to be found he/she should be found from this:) http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/,25,/63949/Land_Rover.htm. This side of the pond for about $2200 Don't look at the pictures too long, you'll start thinking irrationally, then running the idea by your wife, then nothing else will matter, you may realize you won't be complete till you have one. You'll spend all surplus and not so surplus funds on upgrades.

Subarus are everywhere here and they're still expensive used, everybody wants the awd for the Winters.

Airdale: I like those Tribecas, didn't know they are out of production now. Hit yours with the fluid film!

Edited by Kiwakwe

I know right, all sorts of nice diesl powered stuff in Europe that we can't have... with the plus side on those old perkins that by the time you make your way up the winding logging road, he won't be able to hear you crashing through to brush toward him, then it's just a hard left jab under the chin, throw a chain round his legs, stick her in low range and drag out.

I can just about find those here, and pay money you'd laugh at... then actually there has been some availability of fresh from Japan, Suzuki mini-trucks AWD, 50mpg diesels, and also seen the odd Hilux/Landcruise platform diesel... and I get tempted, then slap my self round the face yelling, parts, parts, parts. Great things for toys, ungood for daily drivers.

• 4 weeks later...

2nd vehicle need got more urgent, got myself a minivan.... an AWD minivan, lowish miles, factory tow package. So that can get me and a small travel trailer to interesting places at least.

It's definitely not a rock crawler, but I would contend it's a better softroader than a hell of a lot of the crossovers (Maybe even than some of the "me too" full on SUVs of yore) . I've seen youtube vids of these things being beat on, and it's impressive what they'll go through, not what you'd do to your daily driver normally though. Also saw vids of tug'o'war contests between one of these vans and both a Ford Explorer, and a Chevy 1500 4WD.... pulled the Explorer around on mud... Chevy 1500 struggled to move it, the fatter tires seemed to finally win out and pulled it backwards... seems amazing that it even had a lick of trouble though, I think the **** thing was on well used all seasons too!

Anyway, not going to really offroad it, and gotta watch clearance, but would not be afraid to take it down some slimy looking roads. It could probably just about handle where that Trailblazer is in pic above, but you'd have to go to far left or far right of available space and come at an angle.

What I like the idea of, with a minivan though, is pulling one of the front captains out, and having space to put camera and spotting scope on a tripod, pointed out side door, and sit there nice and comfy surveying woodlines, with those and mics etc.

Looking forward to getting out an about in it at least.

Oh forgot about my other new ride that I haven't tried out yet.

It's basically a Sea Eagle 9 , https://www.seaeagle.com/MotormountBoats#SE9that they made for Stansport, and I got a killer surplus deal on it.

Should float on wet grass, hoping to find some likely creeks to try some twilight floatdowns come spring.

Flashman how much is a killer surplus deal?

I was looking at these as a replacement for my sevylor.

They are easy boats to transport as everything fits on the quad.

It's starting to not hold the air (cant find an actual leak).

The Sea Eagles appear to be a little better quality.

post-22169-0-62141300-1425014383_thumb.jpost-22169-0-04865600-1425014531_thumb.j

Flashman how much is a killer surplus deal?

I was looking at these as a replacement for my sevylor.

$70, but the store/chain was also closing down, got the last one at my location, they've been completely out of business 6+ months now.*

(* Yah I had it all last summer but didn't get it wet, things was "crazy" two extended family deaths, another serious illness, a wedding... also despite being surrounded by water here, I hadn't found a good place for maiden voyage, due to it all being big lakes and creeks with current, and I was a bit chicken to take it on those until I got the feel for handling it on calm water, found a couple of spots now though.)

edit: btw, sometimes there's some amazon stores have sea eagles "on sale" below $200.

It's starting to not hold the air (cant find an actual leak).

You know the dish soap trick right? makes more of a film that water, bubbles last long enough to see.

Edited by Flashman2.0

Oh ya that was a steal. Good for you.

I'd be looking at 1000.00 by the time I got it shipped to me.

The sevylor was pretty good. The air is seeping out from the seems. My fault though for over inflating it.

Oh well. I can get them local for around 300. 2 or 3 seasons for that is good enough.

You'll love it once you start using it. They're really nice when you have a floor and comfortable seat in them.

Right, I was gonna make my own hard seat and floor, they don't look like much more than the right shaped plank. I have been trying since I got it to snag a motor mount cheap, but have missed half a dozen deals by a hair. I've got an old 1.5 HP Evinrude in the garage I could hang on it. Fully kitted out you've got something like a "poor man's Zodiac" as it were.

Exact model I have is a Stansport Kenai, apparently Walmart and Sears, and some outdoors stores have had them in from time to time, so it's possible that if you hit up any of those in passing, they might have one left on clearance. 

Otherwise, things like this look like a decent deal... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMBJ1VE/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687662&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002R3HXB2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1WA989HY078F108TVH7M

• gigantor unlocked this topic