What's Your Ride?

Guest Bigfoot Hunter

Oh here's the AWD minivan... 

zl5gs5.jpg

So far, in below freezing temperatures, on winter gas, with some city crawling in mushy slush and 4" fresh snow etc, I've got 19mpg US average, still learning it's tricks, I see 26-27 US steady on the instant gauge on highway though. I might be able to get 30mpg out of it on highway in summer with synth oil etc.

Got a 2" receiver on back, and I already have a 2" mount bike rack that's made out of tube steel and looks like you could hang a harley on it. In the short term, I can take mountain bikes, in the long term, I might see if I can pick up something like a CT-90 for offroad use, it's on the regular roads my wife doesn't want me riding motorcycles. Which I think could be hung on back. 

Edit: BTW, think it will be great with an air mattress in back for overnighting and weekender camping with just wife. May make a removable platform so there's storage under. Also may look into roof tent idea.... also may think of a "hang on the bike rack" kitchen.

Edited by Flashman2.0

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Admin
On 1/4/2017 at 8:19 PM, spacemonkeymafia said:

Here's mine. 2006 TJ Unlimited. 

Nice, old school.

Below is my 2013 JK:

jeep-fl-3.png

• 3 months later...
Admin

Nice!

My wife has a Grand Cherokee and I thought it was just a mall crawler, but we took it to WV to deploy cameras on some pretty iffy muddy forest service roads (I was worried because it was in the middle of nowhere) but it performed really well. That all-wheel-drive with the traction-control on all 4's works almost like having lockers.

Jeep means it when they claim "trail rated".

• Upvote 1

On 1/9/2017 at 2:06 AM, gigantor said:

Nice, old school.

Below is my 2013 JK:

jeep-fl-3.png

Gigantor.....that is one sweet ride. I love the tires. Which ones are they?

I was looking this past week at new vehicles and looked at a Wrangler.  I almost pulled the trigger on one but practicality was the ultimate victor and I got a Subaru Outback. I'll put some skid plates on it and maybe 1" lifters. It'll never be the dream off-road vehicle like your Wrangler but I'll make it work. Enjoy it!

Jeeps?  :)  "Real jeeps are built, not bought."   

This, the first build, used a 2" suspension lift, 1" body lift, and 1" taller motor mounts instead of a transfer case drop so it didn't cut into my clearance.  This jeep came with a factory option Dana 44 which I had a local shop put 4.10s in, a Detroit locker in back, and a TruTrac gear driven limited slip up front.   Y' see it here with the original style 33x12.50 BFG MTs.

tj98_first_buildup.jpg

I did a few minor things to it ... swapped bumpers 'cause I bent the cheesy factory sheet metal.   (The tree won.)   I rammed a stob through a sidewall and wound up replacing the BFGs with Interco's radial TSL .. still 33x.12.50s ... siped.   That was a snow eating beast ... nearly unstoppable.

Later on I added a little more lift and went with 35x12.50 Interco SSRs.  I swapped the gearing again for 4.56s.

Finally I swapped the 4.10s for 4.56s, upgraded to a 4" suspension lift, went with adjustable control arms (Rubicon Express), SYE conversion with a Tom Woods drive shaft, a 6-gear planetary 4:1 set from Teraflex instead of factory, plus a 2WD low range conversion.    It came out like this:

DSCN0980.JPG

I wheeled the crap out of it on weekends just saving enough time to fix anything I broke, then drove it to work all week.  "Wash, rinse, repeat." 

I sold it at 85K miles.  It was just. plain. done.   :)   I miss it though. 

MIB

• Upvote 1

Admin

^^^ sweet!  You're a true wheeler I see.

I put the 33" x 12.5 Goodyear Wranglers with a 1.5 leveling kit. I love the setup.

You had to build up those older little Jeeps, the new ones are bigger and come mostly pre-done. The addition of the 3.6 variable valve direct injected 290 HP V6, coil springs all around and traction control on all 4s is unbelievable. Plenty of power, suspension flex and the computer applies the brake on each wheel independently, so you don't really need lockers unless you're extreme rock crawling, which I don't. I do have a manual transmission though, as any real jeep should have.

It's my work truck. I took out the back seat and installed a custom made toolbox, so I can have the top down and nobody can steal my tools. I have to say, it's the most fun vehicle I've ever owned. Here in the DC burbs, we have all the lawyer types with their 3 series bimmers and I can keep up with them stop light to stop light. It's funny watching their surprised faces when they try to pull away only to see the brush bar on their ass all the way to 60 (it helps that they can't drive worth a damn). :)

My next mod is a Ripp blower, will put me at 370HP at the rear wheels, can't wait!

Admin

We were mostly rock crawling or running deep mud.    I ran with two groups.   One was seriously into rocks.   I wasn't able to make the trips because of work conflicts but they did the Rubicon a couple times, Dusy-Ersham and Fordyce once each.   Now those who are still doing it go over to Goldendale, WA a lot.   The other group was more into mud.   

I know what you mean about fun.   After my '98 TJ, I bought an '05 Unlimited ... longer wheel based TJ, but still a 2 door, which was only made for 2004-2006.  My dream is to find another at a price low enough I can buy it and still afford to build it to do the things I want.   I got rid of the "LJ" in about 2007 or 2008.   

The first couple years of the JK weren't that great ... sideways mini-van engine.  I've heard good things about that new 3.6.   The 4.0L I6 in my '98 only made 181 HP.   That was boosted to 192 by '05.  

I'm pondering "what's next."   JK is on the list.   The jeeps have gotten a little too big for my trails ... too wide to fit between the trees.   Political changes ... some of those trails aren't legal anymore anyway, so that moves the target in addition to changing what we're aiming at it with.   I haven't figured it out yet.   I know I'm not real happy with my 2014 Tacoma.  (Saying that out loud will make Toyota owners' heads spin clear around.  :))

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-4-28 at 7:48 PM, beerhunter said:

2017 KL Trailhawk  Cherokee

hqdefault.jpg

I have a 2016 black Trailhawk. I love it.

On 2017-4-30 at 4:25 AM, gigantor said:

Nice!

My wife has a Grand Cherokee and I thought it was just a mall crawler, but we took it to WV to deploy cameras on some pretty iffy muddy forest service roads (I was worried because it was in the middle of nowhere) but it performed really well. That all-wheel-drive with the traction-control on all 4's works almost like having lockers.

Jeep means it when they claim "trail rated".

The trailhawk how 4 low and a rear locker. It holds up well when I go out with my off road group.

Admin

• gigantor unlocked this topic