Say you have a body. Now what?

NorthWind

8 hours ago, norseman said:

..........If that had been a bona fide Squatch carcass? Do you think you would have been in trouble?

Not initially, because there was little to nothing to indicate that I had killed the creature or hidden its carcass. But if they were giant bones with a human/gorilla type skull, and if I reacted negatively towards a government coverup of the find, yeah, I bet I'd have trouble aplenty.

Or if it was a fresh carcass, government found the shooter, and they wanted me to testify to a grand jury and courtroom, yeah, that's enough trouble to make me want to disappear.

Hell, Mrs. Huntster is giving me enough trouble to make me want to disappear. Government trouble is many times worse (I think.........). Government simply doesn't give me back any feeling of goodness after I do "the right thing" by them. In fact, after dealing with them, I always feel the need to take a nice hot shower.

BFF Patron
17 hours ago, Arvedis said:

I'm going to cut one's head off and put it on a pike. Then I'm going to clank rocks, wood knock, and woop really loudly, see what happens. 

I hope you statement was in jest because In my humble opinion if someone did what you said,   you would never be seen again.    Animal or ape,   they are dangerous, intelligent, and seem to protect their own.  

Edited by SWWASAS

BFF Patron
11 hours ago, norseman said:

Im glad yer home safe! Sorry about the wife and the pistol.

If that had been a bona fide Squatch carcass? Do you think you would have been in trouble?

I don't know if it was influence from Thom Powell's book or what,    but the days after I found what I still think was a BF grave I had some very vivid and strange dreams.    While I approached it, and photographed it,   I was very careful not to touch anything and had the strong sense I was being observed the whole time.      This sort of goes along with my theories of what BF do with the bodies of their dead.   First of all they are large and burying a body is not going to be easy without a backhoe.     This suspected grave was in a talus field of rock in the Lahar East of Mt St Helens.   Rocks were placed,   you could see some order to it,   in a rectangular stack about 4 by 12 feet.    At the West end of the "grave" was a delicately balanced headstone that resembled a bird with a beak that was facing East towards the rising sun.      There is no way that bird was natural because it was unstable and could not have survived the spring snow runoff.   The grave itself was just below the snowline.    So it was cold day and night.     That situation would give you a very controlled decomposition of a body without much smell,  and protected by all the rock from scavengers.    Perhaps they even station a centinel for a period of time to ensure that it is not bothered by scavengers.  Maybe I was being watched.    Humans pretty much do the same thing in many parts of the world.    In the days that followed I had a series of BF dreams and have not had any since. 

BFF Patron

I did post the photo and it may be in the archives in my field work thread.    If it is there I would like to know because my computer was hacked and I lost many of my pictures.    As a side note,   it was near the Ape Canyon trail and when I went back a year later,   the embankment above it had collapsed and either covered it up or disturbed it so much I could not find the location.   The spring run off could have washed it out too.    That is what causes the embankment to collapse very often.   It may even be why it was placed there.     BF may recognize the signs of an impending collapse because of the leaning trees and count on it.    .   

18 minutes ago, Twist said:

Have you posted said pics of the potential grave?

It would just look like a bunch of big rocks.

There is reports of strange anomalies in talus slides before. Such as large wells a man can stand in, excavated by something unknown and certainly not machines.

Dunno.

It is known that Grizzly Bears in Wyoming go after moths in talus slides.

BFF Patron

I am not sure the picture show it but it was obvious examining the pile that the rocks were not just dumped but seemed to be placed and fitted together.     An analogy would be dump a load of bricks and compare that with the same bricks placed there one at a time.     If someone finds the picture in the archives let me know.     The thread was closed many years ago.    

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:11 PM, Arvedis said:

So when you go out hunting the creature, you bring along a chainsaw or some device that can extract bone? Even in fantasy that seems very messy. Unless we are talking an unexpected find like a carcass that can be ripped apart more easily?

I was half kidding with a dolly. Would anyone really leave a carcass like that behind in favor of small bits of evidence like a tooth or anything that can be easily carried?

I'm curious, from an evidence gathering standpoint, what is in your saddle bag and have you checked with a paleo anthropologist what the correct procedures would be? Maybe this is documented somewhere already?

I recently finished a novel (fiction) that delves into this very thing.

1 hour ago, SWWASAS said:

I am not sure the picture show it but it was obvious examining the pile that the rocks were not just dumped but seemed to be placed and fitted together.     An analogy would be dump a load of bricks and compare that with the same bricks placed there one at a time.     If someone finds the picture in the archives let me know.     The thread was closed many years ago.    

I did "grave" and got 32 pages of results. You'll have to try and remember a little bit more about what may have set it (the thread) apart.

BFF Patron
1 hour ago, NatFoot said:

Moths seem like little calories for all the effort expended by a grizzly.

Before they identified the moths I figured it was picas and other small rodents in the rocks.    Joe Beelart theorizes that BF go through rock piles looking for them.  Indeed Silver Star Mountain has rock pits that the forest service claims were made by Native American Tribes but the tribes themselves claim no knowledge of the pits or their use.   One of my theories about BF are that larger animals like elk and deer are only caught by adult or near adult BF.   Perhaps only males.   If bears are the model,   the males probably don't share very well.   Juveniles and females may only get leftovers.    So smaller animals that are not as fast as deer may be the prey of juveniles and females.  Even primitive human hunters have a pecking order in which prey is shared.    Females traditionally have harvested roots and plants.  I would guess, and that is just a guess, that the Native American model of food gathering is very similar to BF.  

Here is a picture of the rock pits on Silverstar.   

IMG_0857.JPG

The grave picture was buried in my field notes during that time frame.   Without the picture date stamp I am not sure where to look.    At that point I was not very good about backing up my pictures.   I lost about a third of them when my computer was hacked.      The terraces in this picture had me interested for a while.    It looked like Mayan agricultural patches in the mountains.  But a forum member recalled that the forest Service used heavy equipment to till the slope for replanting after the Yacolt Burn.   You can see that some trees are growing in the till lines.    This kind of stuff can only be seen from the air.   If someone has an area of interest in SW WA that you cannot get to, give me the coordinates and I will check it out for you.

Edited by SWWASAS
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

.........the days after I found what I still think was a BF grave I had some very vivid and strange dreams.........

I should know by now that when I have dreams like that the night before going out into the field, I should simply postpone or cancel. Also, that persistent feeling of dread is a sure give away. But I've always just forged ahead, and though I've survived all subsequent near disasters, some have been life altering.

After first discovering the bones under the tarp, I realized I shouldn't touch anything again, and I continued waving the metal detector looking for the gun on that bench above the lake. The bad feelings came on fast and strong. It wasn't a feeling of being watched or of impending doom, but a realization that if the bones were human, they were those of a small woman or adolescent child. My emotional discomfort grew with that realization, but looking back at the event, I can say that there was not that old feeling of pure evil that I have felt before when evil was near, but more a feeling of dread.

I'm disappointed in my poor focus on my own perceptions, emotions, and my reactions to them. 

10 minutes ago, Huntster said:

I should know by now that when I have dreams like that the night before going out into the field, I should simply postpone or cancel. Also, that persistent feeling of dread is a sure give away. But I've always just forged ahead, and though I've survived all subsequent near disasters, some have been life altering.

After first discovering the bones under the tarp, I realized I shouldn't touch anything again, and I continued waving the metal detector looking for the gun on that bench above the lake. The bad feelings came on fast and strong. It wasn't a feeling of being watched or of impending doom, but a realization that if the bones were human, they were those of a small woman or adolescent child. My emotional discomfort grew with that realization, but looking back at the event, I can say that there was not that old feeling of pure evil that I have felt before when evil was near, but more a feeling of dread.

I'm disappointed in my poor focus on my own perceptions, emotions, and my reactions to them. 

Huntster,

I've been guilty of this too, as I am sure many people have.  I just wanted to let you know that there's a great book available about how and why to listen to your instincts. It's called The Gift of Fear, by Gavin de Becker, if you are a reading kinda guy. I recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/Gift-Fear-Survival-Signals-Violence/dp/0440226198/ref=asc_df_0440226198/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312142103956&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=296801871825249699&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1024453&hvtargid=pla-436387740663&psc=1

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NorthWind said:

It's called The Gift of Fear, by Gavin de Becker,

"Fear is never boring"...........bsruther, inactive BFF member

BFF Patron
21 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Before they identified the moths I figured it was picas and other small rodents in the rocks.    Joe Beelart theorizes that BF go through rock piles looking for them.  Indeed Silver Star Mountain has rock pits that the forest service claims were made by Native American Tribes but the tribes themselves claim no knowledge of the pits or their use.   One of my theories about BF are that larger animals like elk and deer are only caught by adult or near adult BF.   Perhaps only males.   If bears are the model,   the males probably don't share very well.   Juveniles and females may only get leftovers.    So smaller animals that are not as fast as deer may be the prey of juveniles and females.  Even primitive human hunters have a pecking order in which prey is shared.    Females traditionally have harvested roots and plants.  I would guess, and that is just a guess, that the Native American model of food gathering is very similar to BF.  

Here is a picture of the rock pits on Silverstar.   

IMG_0857.JPG

The grave picture was buried in my field notes during that time frame.   Without the picture date stamp I am not sure where to look.    At that point I was not very good about backing up my pictures.   I lost about a third of them when my computer was hacked.      The terraces in this picture had me interested for a while.    It looked like Mayan agricultural patches in the mountains.  But a forum member recalled that the forest Service used heavy equipment to till the slope for replanting after the Yacolt Burn.   You can see that some trees are growing in the till lines.    This kind of stuff can only be seen from the air.   If someone has an area of interest in SW WA that you cannot get to, give me the coordinates and I will check it out for you.

I think it would be rare that ground movement, sloughing or slide would occur with parallel lines but I notice minimal earthen cover over those rocks?  Could it be slide dynamics?   With the parallel trails it certainly seems like it is artificially made by some instrument. 

22 hours ago, NatFoot said:

Moths seem like little calories for all the effort expended by a grizzly.

Multiplied by thousands maybe not so much though, ever have a butterfly splat on your windshield, lots of good fat in them thar varmints.