Chevy Colorado ZR2 diesel

norseman

Front and rear lockers, progressive spool valve shocks and a baby Duramax diesel!

Admin

Not worth $50k  IMO.  You could buy a low mileage used full size and install the axles and suspension for a lot less.

firefox_2019-07-07_11-18-24.png

• Upvote 1

Admin

Meh, great innovation, but don't need all that...

2 minutes ago, gigantor said:

Meh, great innovation, but don't need all that...

Right, but if you were in the market for a new rig?

A mid size pickup with full lockers, super advanced suspension, 200 lbs of boron skid plates, a diesel that gets 32 mpg AND a warranty!???

Whats not to like?

Im building a old square body suburban. So I get it.... but I’ve bought new pickups in the past and may do so again.

No way would I put a diesel into a swamp/rock buggy. The diesels are the ticket for your highway rig; the one with the camper and pulling the trailer with the swamp buggy on it. A small block V-8 or industrial 300cu six cylinder gasoline engine provides plenty of torque for climbing in low range with much less weight. The best swamp buggies are still home built, and are now beaten out by side-by-side UTV's in every category but two: when crossing deeper, swifter rivers, or when the government bans ORV's except highway licensed vehicles. Even when the government does that, you're still usually restricted to already designated trails. 

23 minutes ago, Huntster said:

No way would I put a diesel into a swamp/rock buggy. The diesels are the ticket for your highway rig; the one with the camper and pulling the trailer with the swamp buggy on it. A small block V-8 or industrial 300cu six cylinder gasoline engine provides plenty of torque for climbing in low range with much less weight. The best swamp buggies are still home built, and are now beaten out by side-by-side UTV's in every category but two: when crossing deeper, swifter rivers, or when the government bans ORV's except highway licensed vehicles. Even when the government does that, you're still usually restricted to already designated trails. 

No. Your thinking of a full size 6 cylinder Cummins or a V8 Duramax or a V8 Powerstroke. That 2.8 Cummins is lighter than a small block.

I own a 4 banger Mahindra, it’s light, quiet, good torque and sips diesel. Mine being a UTV also burns off road fuel.

These little diesels are the hot ticket item. And Chevrolet is ahead of the curve in the US. This used 80s Toyota Hilux diesel sold for 30k.

https://jalopnik.com/well-heres-what-a-genuine-toyota-hilux-diesel-sells-fo-1690308118

50k for a brand new midsize diesel is a bargain.

Your never going to get 32 mpg with a 300 I6 or a small block.

9217BC29-D09D-4562-9248-E73261E68416.png

Edited by norseman

26 minutes ago, norseman said:

No. Your thinking of a full size 6 cylinder Cummins or a V8 Duramax or a V8 Powerstroke. That 2.8 Cummins is lighter than a small block.

I own a 4 banger Mahindra, it’s light, quiet, good torque and sips diesel. Mine being a UTV also burns off road fuel.........

Wow, I guess that's what you meant when you wrote "baby Duramax". I thought it was another Isuzu diesel. I had no idea Chevy was using a 4 cylinder Cummins. Good for them. Sounds like a great little engine. 

Funny, but I noticed that pic of you in your little Jeep in the slider and checked it out again the other day. I noticed you posted that it was a Mahindra diesel in it. I figured you got the engine out of a compact tractor and installed it yourself. 

...........These little diesels are the hot ticket item. And Chevrolet is ahead of the curve in the US. This used 80s Toyota Hilux diesel sold for 30k.

50k for a brand new midsize diesel is a bargain..........

Not to me. I'm cheap. I got Daddy's miser genes. The most I've ever paid for a vehicle in my life was $22K, and that was for Mrs. Huntster. Apparently that wasn't enough. She ran out and bought a new car while I was in California in May, and now demands that I sell my WRX to pay her back. Pissed me off............it still pisses me off..........

..........Your never going to get 32 mpg with a 300 I6 or a small block.

Fuel economy isn't much of a concern to me in an off road rig unless it burns excessive fuel. My Argo and snowmobiles only get @ 10 miles per gallon. Most boats do much worse. More important to me is its ability to go when the going gets rough, and its reliability.

40 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Wow, I guess that's what you meant when you wrote "baby Duramax". I thought it was another Isuzu diesel. I had no idea Chevy was using a 4 cylinder Cummins. Good for them. Sounds like a great little engine. 

Funny, but I noticed that pic of you in your little Jeep in the slider and checked it out again the other day. I noticed you posted that it was a Mahindra diesel in it. I figured you got the engine out of a compact tractor and installed it yourself. 

Not to me. I'm cheap. I got Daddy's miser genes. The most I've ever paid for a vehicle in my life was $22K, and that was for Mrs. Huntster. Apparently that wasn't enough. She ran out and bought a new car while I was in California in May, and now demands that I sell my WRX to pay her back. Pissed me off............it still pisses me off..........

Fuel economy isn't much of a concern to me in an off road rig unless it burns excessive fuel. My Argo and snowmobiles only get @ 10 miles per gallon. Most boats do much worse. More important to me is its ability to go when the going gets rough, and its reliability.

Yah! But no the Chevrolet has developed their own little I4. Sorry for the confusion. And yah the Mahindra Roxor runs diesel in stock form. The Cummins crate motor is targeting all older jeeps and 4x4 “overland” crowd.

Oh I understand. It’s just crazy when a 80’s Hilux Toyota (diesel) is selling for 30k. A new comparable one at 50k isn’t bad by comparison.

A lot of guys just trailer jeeps because of fuel economy. This trend which is global is using small fuel efficient turbo diesels to get you there and back plus all the trail work you need. In low range with my Roxor I just idle over logs, rocks and stumps. It’s a little torque monster!

I guess as a truck driver? I like diesels. They are reliable, fuel efficient and have gobs of torque, and they have longevity. 

Will be interesting to see how electric pickups stack up in the future.

Admin

I just don't like diesels, I understand they produce a lot more torque, last a lot longer, get better fuel mileage, etc. But I still don't like them, they are loud, they stink, smoke and are low revving.

What a lot of guys do on Jeeps to produce more torque is install a supercharger for about $6k. All the fun of a gas engine and all the torque of the diesel and save yourself about $15,000.

2 minutes ago, gigantor said:

I just don't like diesels, I understand they produce a lot more torque, last a lot longer, get better fuel mileage, etc. But I still don't like them, they are loud, they stink, smoke and are low revving.

What a lot of guys do on Jeeps to produce more torque is install a supercharger for about $6k. All the fun of a gas engine and all the torque of the diesel and save yourself about $15,000.

I think you have a lot of misconceptions. 

My Mahindra is 10x quieter than my Rubicon was. And modern diesels like the ZR2 burn DEF. So no stink or smoke. And low revving is an advantage! 

A 3.6 supercharged pentastar will never be a diesel. A diesel builds its torque down low and gets 32 mpg doing it. But I guess it’s all about what you want to do.

If going fast and kicking ass is your thing? Don’t buy a 2.8 diesel. If idling around on trails and getting 32 mpg on highway is? Buy the diesel.

Oh! The ZR2 does come with a gasser as well.

And I hated my Rubicon. Death wobble and that Pentastar was junk. If I was ever to buy another Jeep it will be the in-line 6, manual and leaf springs.

My dream research vehicle would be an older Grumman step van, P10 size, not the bigger dually models, converted to solid axle 4x4, with the Cummins 4BT diesel, or the new 2.8 crate engine. The box would be fitted out for 2 person camping comfort. Drive it to the end of the roughest logging road around, turn off the key, and you're camped. 

About 20 years ago, I had a fully camperized Ford E350 van, with 4x4 conversion. My wife and I had some great hunting adventures in it, but it eventually succumbed to terminal body rot. That truck would cost a fortune in fuel to operate these days. The smaller Grumman, which has aluminum bodywork, would not rust out like my old Ford, and the 4 cyl diesel would be cheap to run. I just need a small lottery win to make it happen!

1 hour ago, BC witness said:

My dream research vehicle would be an older Grumman step van, P10 size, not the bigger dually models, converted to solid axle 4x4, with the Cummins 4BT diesel, or the new 2.8 crate engine. The box would be fitted out for 2 person camping comfort. Drive it to the end of the roughest logging road around, turn off the key, and you're camped. 

About 20 years ago, I had a fully camperized Ford E350 van, with 4x4 conversion. My wife and I had some great hunting adventures in it, but it eventually succumbed to terminal body rot. That truck would cost a fortune in fuel to operate these days. The smaller Grumman, which has aluminum bodywork, would not rust out like my old Ford, and the 4 cyl diesel would be cheap to run. I just need a small lottery win to make it happen!

Buy the ZR2 and slap a pop up pickup camper in it?

BED35D44-A0CA-4F00-8315-FB363489F030.jpeg