Chevy Colorado ZR2 diesel

norseman

Have any pics of the square body you are working on Norse? 

edit: I'm a sucker for square bodies but here in Michigan they are almost all rusted out or overpriced if brought from out of state.

Edited by Twist

27 minutes ago, Twist said:

Have any pics of the square body you are working on Norse? 

edit: I'm a sucker for square bodies but here in Michigan they are almost all rusted out or overpriced if brought from out of state.

Red one is my goal.

825B608B-51AF-44E4-8F44-C797894AE3F2.jpeg

394456AC-D4F3-4EA7-B8F2-9B68D0696DC7.jpeg

213A3119-CE04-431A-8B13-57F6142B811A.jpeg

D2398E91-2E4E-4AE7-8CD0-E6EBEB48D10D.jpeg

Admin
6 hours ago, norseman said:

9217BC29-D09D-4562-9248-E73261E68416.png

A Jeep 3.6 V6 with a Sprintex supercharger produces 307 lb-ft of torque vs 310 for the little diesel. It costs $5k and its a bolt-on. Notice that the specs are measured at the Rear Wheels, unlike the crank specs listed for the diesel...  just saying.

firefox_2019-07-07_21-26-37.png

That’s a nice project.   We rarely get to see those old square bodies around MI with decent rockers.  

13 minutes ago, gigantor said:

A Jeep 3.6 V6 with a Sprintex supercharger produces 307 lb-ft of torque vs 310 for the little diesel. It costs $5k and its a bolt-on. Notice that the specs are measured at the Rear Wheels, unlike the crank specs listed for the diesel...  just saying.

firefox_2019-07-07_21-26-37.png

Sure. But at what RPM is it producing peak torque? The blower needs to be spun up in order to force more air into the intake? The little diesel uses a turbo too, but a diesels low end torque comes from high compression ratios as diesel fires on compression and not a spark plug.

As I said earlier I owned that V-6 and had nothing but problems with it. I would not have any warm and fuzzy feelings putting a blower on top of it and expecting any kind of reliability out of it. And does the blower void the Chrysler warranty? Barton Jeep in Spokane nickel and dimed me ($5000) and never fixed the death wobble. And they got out of the engine warranty because it was used when I bought it. The Cummins comes with a warranty as does the Chevrolet.

And what’s the fuel mileage when you bolt on the blower? My Rubicon got about 20 MPG.....

With that said? I have heard nothing but good things about the older Jeep in-line 6 cylinders. If I was going to buy another Jeep? I would stay old school. And leaf springs do not death wobble.

10 minutes ago, Twist said:

That’s a nice project.   We rarely get to see those old square bodies around MI with decent rockers.  

Thanks. It’s got a bit of cancer. But we get snow and deicer here too ...... so I don’t know why this one is in such good shape.

3 hours ago, Twist said:

...........We rarely get to see those old square bodies around MI with decent rockers.  

I went to a snow removal management seminar in Madison, WI sometime in the mid-90's. I was astounded at the amount of calcium chloride those people use back there. The majority of the people at the seminar were chemical salesmen. They looked at me like I was a freshly bbq'd ribeye steak. Everybody wanted to sell me tons upon tons of salt.

There's no way I'm going to dump salt like that on our roads, then let it drain into our salmon streams. I never went back to one of those seminars again. They had nothing useful to teach me.

8 hours ago, Huntster said:

I went to a snow removal management seminar in Madison, WI sometime in the mid-90's. I was astounded at the amount of calcium chloride those people use back there. The majority of the people at the seminar were chemical salesmen. They looked at me like I was a freshly bbq'd ribeye steak. Everybody wanted to sell me tons upon tons of salt.

There's no way I'm going to dump salt like that on our roads, then let it drain into our salmon streams. I never went back to one of those seminars again. They had nothing useful to teach me.

So it’s just the amount? Because we use it too right? Or are we using something else? Do they use sand back there?

Admin
11 hours ago, norseman said:

As I said earlier I owned that V-6 and had nothing but problems with it.

I have 90k miles on mine and zero problems. No death wobble either with 33" tires.

What year was your jeep?  if it was 2012 or earlier, you had the 3.8L V6. In 2013 they upgraded to a 3.6 with variable valve timing which has no issues.

11 hours ago, norseman said:

But at what RPM is it producing peak torque?

It does over 250 lb-ft at 2k rpms and remember, that is measured at the rear wheels, not the crank. Lets see the diesel dyno test please. I'm sure the torque will be really nice at low rpm, but the boosted V6 is plenty. Don't need a $50k mid size truck.

Acrobat_2019-07-08_09-43-45.png

12 minutes ago, gigantor said:

I have 90k miles on mine and zero problems. No death wobble either with 33" tires.

What year was your jeep?  if it was 2012 or earlier, you had the 3.8L V6. In 2013 they upgraded to a 3.6 with variable valve timing which has no issues.

It does over 250 lb-ft at 2k rpms and remember, that is measured at the rear wheels, not the crank. Lets see the diesel dyno test please. I'm sure the torque will be really nice at low rpm, but the boosted V6 is plenty. Don't need a $50k mid size truck.

Acrobat_2019-07-08_09-43-45.png

It was a 2008. I’m glad your having good luck with your Jeep. I loved taking the top off and the doors off in the woods. And the lockers made it a goat.

The Cummins is a crate motor you understand? So the “rear wheels” dyno would depend entirely on the application.

But back to the Chevrolet. (Which is the same displacement)

http://duramaxtuner.com/2-8lduramax/2-8l-duramax-colorado-canyon-spade.html

It looks like in stock form it’s producing at rear wheels.

180HP

384 Ft/lbs

@2500 RPM

With the performance tune (no supercharger needed)

231 HP

459 Ft/lbs

@2900/2400 RPM

If you were to start replacing components on these little baby duramax? Like injectors, turbo, intercooler, etc? You would be probably making a lot more. But at the risk of reliability and loss of warranty.

E511B01C-56A9-47AB-BFD5-7A74D3EA92DF.png

With a borg Warner turbo and some work?

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/parts-accessories/1708-little-giant-sdps-compound-turbos-make-loads-of-power-while-lowering-egts/

305 HP

542 ft/lbs

Also, these diesels have been around. Used they are like 35k in the ZR2 pkg. Not 50k

https://spokane.craigslist.org/ctd/d/hayden-2018-chevrolet-colorado-4x4-4wd/6911978362.html

Sorry wrong one...gasser.

https://spokane.craigslist.org/ctd/d/federal-way-2018-chevrolet-colorado-zr2/6914323115.html

Edited by norseman

Admin
38 minutes ago, norseman said:

The Cummins is a crate motor you understand?

Wait...  I thought it comes in the Chevy Colorado and it has a turbo?

1 minute ago, gigantor said:

Wait...  I thought it comes in the Chevy Colorado and it has a turbo?

No. Chevy makes their own. 2.8 liter Duramax.

I used the Cummins crate motor as an example of how popular the small diesel market is. Chevrolet is ahead of the curve and developed their own. People have been doing Cummins 4BT swaps for years. So Cummins came out with its own kit for Jeep owners, Toyota owners, etc.

Huntster thought the same thing several posts back... sorry for the confusion.