When family and friends have had sightings....

norseman

Remarkably, nobody in my family or friends where I grew up have had experiences. But, in what should be expected, my family (with the exception of my Dad, who grew up in the bayou) were all city folks from well south of good sasquatch habitat, and few were outdoors people. After living in southcentral Alaska for 45 years, I still have no friends with experiences, either, but now I think I'm north of prime sasquatch habitat. 

I did have an unusual discussion the other day while at fish camp. The beach was rather crowded with fishermen and families. People were doing whatever while waiting for a fishable tide. A pickup truck pulled up near my camp with a man driving and a woman passenger. They parked and were just watching the activities and looking out over the beach. I was walking by and said hi. We started talking about the fishing and whatever. We introduced ourselves. They were both Alaska Natives from Kenny Lake, but who now lived in the Kasilof area. The conversation included discussion about the village of Chitina, another popular salmon fishery area on the Copper River near Kenny Lake. 

Then, out of the blue, the woman asked me if I "believed in Bigfoot". That probably got a smile. They then tell me that they both saw one walking the river flats above the Chitina bridge over the Copper River. He went on about being a river float guiding operator on the Tonsina River for a number of years and how that river was rather spooky.

I thought that was rather interesting, especially after the fascinating story another Kenny Lake resident wrote about on the Alaska Outdoor Forums several years ago and which I pasted here on the forum here:

Apparently Kenny Lake (a very small village) is a bigfoot believing area..........

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I have a very good friend that believes once night while riding his bike home he had a BF pacing him just inside the tree line.  He never had a clear view of it because it was dark but he swears it was in thick brush and woods and the faster he went it had not problem keeping up.  He only saw a large shadow/outline of the thing for brief glimpses between the trees.   After a while it just stopped.

Another friend who has since passed away from cancer tell me stories of when he was working for a place, they would take smoke breaks out the back door.  Off the back door just a ways was the beginning of a pretty large stretch of woods.  He told me that for a few weeks he and other employees believed there were a few BF that were living in those woods.  At night when they went out to smoke they would hear growls and sounds they did not recognize just inside the tree lines and on multiple occasions they would throw sticks and rocks out at the smokers.  I believe he also said there were instances where they would shake trees and break branches.  Unfortunately I am unable to question him any longer on the details.  

Where both of these two friends had their respective encounters is about 15 miles apart.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Great thread. My daughter has found foot prints and heard interesting howls. She lives near the Patterson film site. .

A former co-worker now deceased told me of his sighting in the forests of North Florida by a river. When I told him he was obviously mistaken . He got angry and red faced.

Told me Buddy boy  I know what I saw . Foot prints and the subject was about 50 feet from him and crossed the shallow portion of the river and went into the woods. This occurred in the 1960s.

One other person told me of an encounter that his uncle had  in the same  area and the same time period. 

My grandmother was born in 1899 and told me  that the creature was observed by her and her siblings on their dense wooded property when she was  a child in the early 1900s..

Her older sister confirmed the story when I asked her separately.  

Edited by Patterson-Gimlin
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron

After I had my 7/8/07 sighting nearby my mtn home, I learned a direct neighbor years earlier had something with red eyes staring in her living room windows, not hanging on any vegetation and no trees involved.   My sighting involved green eyed bipeds.  *12th anniversary of my sighting tomorrow*

Edited by bipedalist
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

........My grandmother was born in 1899 and told me  that the creature was observed by her and her siblings on their dense wooded property when she was  a child in the early 1900s..

Her older sister confirmed the story when I asked her separately.  

Can I ask what part of the country this was at?

Norseman -

Good topic!   

As you know, I'm a knower.    One of the most challenging aspects of dealing with that has been my father's ridicule.   For a long time, because of his threats of what he'd do to me, I never told my story a second time.   It went .. badly.   So, ironically, a few years ago I was visiting him.  Some of his friends stopped by and the coffee, cigarettes, and yarns started.   He told a story I'd never heard.   His dad was one of the surveyors who surveyed the White Pass ski area.   Dad, though under age, accompanied grandpa.   He said they were heading towards work and he looked out the window through a gap in the trees into a snowy field and there was a big stump or rootwad which "looked exactly like bigfoot would have looked if it existed, which it doesn't."   He concluded the story by saying that the "stump" wasn't there on the way back.   "Huh".  

A second piece, ambiguous but intriguing to me, was my great grandfather.   That'd be dad's mom's dad.   He died when I was 13 or 14.  He lived next to us, a few hundred yards up the hill, and I spent a lot of time with him.   Grandpa was a very serious man and particularly touchy about his reputation.   He'd pulled himself up by his bootstraps and made something of himself putting his siblings through college as well along the way.    So why did he have 2 copies of George Haas' Bigfoot Bulletin on the porch essentially inviting people to ridicule him?   I suspect he'd seen or experienced something that overrode his cautious protection of his reputation. 

MIB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I've a family member who has picked on me for years. He's an excellent bowhunter, fisher, etc. A few years ago, he asked me if the BFs will trail one out of the bush and I said yes, reportedly. Turned out he had that happen with a black bear, BUT after thinking about it, he's had a couple classic suspicious events. Once, a foul smell that later disappeared, once, the hair-raising feeling of being watched on the way out in the dark. Brrr.

2 hours ago, Huntster said:

Can I ask what part of the country this was at?

Absolutely. North Florida. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

........when he got back into the rig, 50 feet ahead of him a 9-foot tall, totally ripped male bigfoot crossed the road, looked ight at him, and walked into the bush. The two truck driver said that the Bigfoot knew he was there, and deliberately did it, like it was a test of nerves.........

I've had a big grizzly and a big wolf do that exact same thing to me on two different occasions. The wolf really disgusted me. I had been sitting for hours watching a moose gutpile hoping fir another bear to show up (I had already shot a big black bear off that pile). I heard the guys coming to get me in the riverboat, so I started packing my stuff, then stood up. That's when this big wolf stepped out of the tall grass looking at me less than 50' away. He was gorgeous. Then he stepped forward into the grass again and disappeared. He had been waiting for me to leave.

• Upvote 3

Ive shared this before but my grandmother told me a story that her father relayed to their family.

He was walking down a holler late at night and was being paced along the side of the dirt road. He thought it was his brother messing with him. He called out, would stop and it would as well.

Then he felt something behind him let out a deep breathe and when he turned around it was directly behind him within a few feet. He was 6'3 and looking up at it. He cocked back his arm to throw a punch and it took off, sounding like a bull breaking brush.

Claimed it was like a man-monkey.

He was a drinker, but this was before PGF and knowledge of the BF nationally.

A girl from our neighborhood growing up saw one while driving in SW Colorado, a white one digging through a garbage bag on the side of the road. She was by herself but described her reaction as shock: "Tha- that's.. not... supposed to exist.."

A friend up in MN has a story from her dad that involved him going into BF territory as a teenager against his grandma's warnings and getting chased out by an alpha male, I don't remember the details too well though. They're Native, and she had perspective of bigfoot from older family as a known entity but the kind of thing you wouldn't talk about in polite company.

I've led friends and family to their first experiences, but nothing else I can think of as far as independent sightings.

8 hours ago, NatFoot said:

.........He was walking down a holler.........

Appalachia?

He was a drinker, but..........

Me, too, but.........my "maybe" experience was before I was a drinker. Now I drink and cuss because I've got good reasons to. 

At least I quit smoking.............

• Upvote 2