The Curious Case of Ottie Cline Powell

WSA

What a sad story. Poor kiddo.

And, as a preschool teacher, 7 miles uphill is a long way for an almost-5 year old. We regularly walk at least a mile each day wirh our 4 year old kids. Yes, they aren't the more outdoorsy kids of yesteryear,  but still. Huh.

Edited by Madison5716

It is a weird, strange occurrence. After posting that I did some more research and found that Paulides had actually done an analysis of it in his "Missing 411" series. He found it as curious as we do, and linked it to a similar disappearance many years later, in the same area.  This is also typical of the cases where a child disappears quickly when just out of sight.

• 1 month later...

Years ago, my wife and I went looking for a Christmas Tree near Butte Falls, Oregon, and for the first time, being lost entered my mind. The land was flat and dark with huge Douglas Fir trees that were spaced 30' feet apart. The ground was partially covered with snow drifts and in parts, the dark ground with ferns and duff all began to blend in. My being lost fear welled up so I took our best guess as to where the car was parked. We went from snow drifts to snow drifts and passed many trees looking for the faint road winding through the forest. Thank God, the car was seen through the trees and we gladly left the area. Poor little Ottie Powell suffered and died. Bigfoot can't be blamed for the loss but the desire to see around the next bend can be to blame. Ottie probably had a strong will to explore that got the best of him. The poor teacher might have lived in agony as did Ottie's mother. We are left with many unexplained disappearances ...........  so how many can be attributed to bigfoot?

Of course, I don't know, but the possibility of somebody or something taking this boy can't be ruled out. A boy just making a spontaneous decision to make a  beeline for a mountain top and then dying is curious and extraordinary.  I suppose it could be nothing more than a child getting overcome by "peak fever", but the characteristics this shares with the entire body of Missing 411 stories is eerie.

On the other topic of your post, all I'll cop to is what D. Boone did as well: I've never been lost, but I was once bewildered for several days.