Does BF "bark"?

NorthWind

Was out this weekend. Heard a single "bark" from the woods. I shrugged it off. Later that same day I was up on a ridge overlooking a canyon not far from where we found the stacked bones I posted a couple months ago. Maybe a mile. But it was miles from where we heard the first bark. My partner did a yell into the canyon (he does that :) ), and twenty or thirty seconds later, there was a bark to our west. Then there was another one from the southwest. Then there was another from the northwest. We heard over a dozen single barks, from three areas, all of them sounded the same, like a St. Bernard. Just single barks. It was quite odd.  Each spaced out maybe a minute or two or three apart.

Are there any accounts that you have heard of of a BF barking like that? I really cannot believe it would have been a dog. Certainly not three of them. Single barks, not woof woof woof. Anyway, Google Earth shows that canyon with a stream at the bottom, no campgrounds at all for miles. The stream itself looks like it may have caves to the southwest. Something we will have to check out another day.

• Upvote 1

There's several recordings on a barking sasquatch on youtube.  I've heard barking on someone's audio files too but can't remember where?

You can just about hear tje bark in this video, crank up the volume.

• Upvote 2

I know this is pretty "out there" , but these audio clips are from overnight recordings at a habituation site that had lots of BF activity. They swore up and down there were no dogs within several miles and no feral dogs were ever seen. We had dozens of these recordings and sometimes there were wood knocks along with the barks.

Enjoy.

Dec168pm5h09m_barkvox.mp3

Dec168pm5h09m_barkvoxEQ.mp3

Jan4_1h45m_barkvoxEQ.mp3

The squeaking is from a mechanical deer yard decoration.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That sounds like a pack of dogs, with something extra thrown in.

Very eerie, especially as you say there were no dogs in the area.

Nice work.

Thank you both. I will give everything a listen later this evening, and see if it aligns with what I heard. 

I actually recorded it, but they are a bit faint. I just need to amplify it a little. If I can figure that out, maybe I can post the sounds here. Truthfully, I have no idea what it could have been. Very strange. Coyotes just don't sound like that. From the wolves I have heard in Northern British Columbia, it doesn't sound like that either. The wolves I have heard "talk" more, like huskies do, or just howl. I wonder if it was a way of sasquatch telling others of their kind that it was a man that made the call initially. Vocalizing a mimicked human related call -in this case a dog - to warn others that the original call was human, if that makes any sense. Or, maybe I am just losing my marbles. LOL. 

Admin
17 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

If I can figure that out, maybe I can post the sounds here.

@Redbone is our resident sound analyst... I'm sure he would help.

Perhaps  ,just perhaps it could explain dogmen reports. 

I agree Redbone has some interesting sounds he has analyzed. 

Anyway, thanks for sharing. 

Edited by Patterson-Gimlin

Yes, coyotes can do a single bark.  Dogs can do a single bark.  Humans can do a single bark.  Seals can do a single bark.  I suspect other animals can do a single bark.  But importantly here Sasquatch can do a single bark - and my experience is that they frequently do - a single sharp bark only loud enough to catch the target human's attention.

Sometimes a dog bark is just a dog bark (with apologies to Freud :)) but if bigfoots are as good at mimicking various animals as lore suggests, then a bark being in their repertoire is a given.   The question becomes one of absolutely eliminating regular dogs as the source of what you heard as well as eliminating all "normal" animal possibilities.    Note that bears can give a sort of bark or woof/huff, but that's unlikely if it was coming from many locations since bears are not pack/herd animals.   Elk will also "bark" .. and as I imagine the setting described, I think that is a real serious possibility.  

MIB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do audio recording on a reservation. When I hear a bark I mostly assume it's canine, either dog or coyotes. I also have howls that I've dismissed because I know dogs are in the area. Some of my 'dog sounds' are deep in the woods, far from people. Mostly if I have one bark, I have many more before or after. Rez dogs don't bark only once.

That said, I also have heard an encounter account from the reservation where three people had a long encounter with an adult and juvenile bigfoot, and the juvenile was seen and heard making dog barking sounds.The juvenile followed them after they drove to a nearby house.

Besides dogs, foxes, and coyotes, raccoons can make some very strange and disturbing noises.

This is raccoons:  https://soundcloud.com/rezsr/060418-157am-angry-animal-exchange-new-editor

2 hours ago, NorthWind said:

Thank you both. I will give everything a listen later this evening, and see if it aligns with what I heard. 

I actually recorded it, but they are a bit faint. I just need to amplify it a little. If I can figure that out, maybe I can post the sounds here

If you can post a clip of the original sounds, I can make it less faint. Adobe Audition is a very powerful tool.

Had a grey fox bark once at me and my dog one night and then again only once but softer two nights later. My dog just looked at it, sat down, and then the fox sat down (across a two lane street) and they just watched each other for a few seconds. Then the grey fox got up, turned, and went into the woods.

4 minutes ago, Redbone said:

Adobe Audition is a very powerful tool.

"Audacity" is as well which is a free open source program.

Edited by hiflier

How can anyone know whether there are dogs or not within several miles?

Edited by Incorrigible1