Does BF "bark"?

NorthWind

Yes, this was in Oregon. The Cascade range.  I am reasonably sure that we were alone up there. It's pretty "out there" where we were. Looking on Google Earth, there IS a road that goes down to the area we heard the sounds, and it IS a dead end, accessible from the same road we were on. We had seen no other vehicle up there all day. Now I suppose some folks could have been camping down there. In three different locations on the road. About a half mile to a mile apart, I would guess. With each camp having a dog that sounded just like the other two camps' dogs. And each camp not having a real "campground" but just a turnout on the side of the road. With no smoke at dinnertime. No access to the river. But that scenario, to me, while theoretically possible, seems nearly ridiculously unlikely.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Tw8HtTDsYZXMd_MHfgqiDQp3APq4V8L-

That's the audio file. Actually a bunch of them in order of recording. They are amplified in Audacity, and trimmed. Each recording is separated by a 440Hz tone. Many times in these, the "bark" comes at the beginning of the clip because the recorder I have has a "buffer" where I can hear a sound and then hit the button and it has still recorded. Saves battery life somewhat. Sorry there are some loud noises of knocks and yells on occasion. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I've been to this location and it's definitely out in the woods. It's not a popular destination road. It basically goes nowhere.

NorthWind, does the road there continue on down into that valley? How accessible is it? 

Huffing and chuffing can sound like barks, too.

• Upvote 1

This is the first sound pulled from Northwind's audio, from about 46 seconds. Doesn't sound like a bark to me. I'll be able to give this clip more attention when I get home from PA. There is some very low frequency noise that follows. I left that in there.

First Sound.mp3

• Upvote 2

Redbone, thanks for giving it an ear. Not sure what the sounds were up there that night, but they sure sounded like barks to me. Or really short deep yells. I don't know. And I don't know what the heck made them. I checked out MIB's idea of elk barking, and to my ears it didn't sound anything similar at all. But the three different directions thing really confrustrates (it's a word now!) things for me at least.

Anyway, I appreciate you taking time to do that. Have a safe journey.

Northwind

Not sure what you heard could have been a bark. I can say that I have heard some strange noises in the area that I have researched but I have never heard barks. I can confirm that being that they were just single barks and not more barks in that single night they were not dogs or coyotes. This is just some thing that dogs do not do when they are agitated or upset. so you can discount dogs or coyotes which leaves you with more questions.  Dogs are not going to just bark once unless they are trained on command to do so. So what are the chances to have three dogs that are well trained to bark once on command in three different area's of direction. There is just no chance to do so. Why would anyone want to hoax you with a single dog bark in three different directions. This just does not make sense.

You have already looked at the obvious  and have found that this could not be. You may have even found signs but refuse to believe that you are in a spot where you know deep with in your self that you are encountering these creatures. It is hard to process what is happening in the area that you are researching. The hairs on the back of your neck probably  stand up in that area but think nothing of it since it does not fit what with what you are perceived to believe these creatures are. (apes) BS.  Start going and looking  in a different direction and take that chance. See what happens if you dare.  The worst that will happen is that you will disprove a lot of us and make a lot skeptics happy. You want to know want made those noises then do the opposite and go to the woo side .  You have nothing to loose. Go Jetti and use the force Luke. :D 

15 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

...Start going and looking  in a different direction and take that chance. See what happens if you dare.  The worst that will happen is that you will disprove a lot of us and make a lot skeptics happy. You want to know want made those noises then do the opposite and go to the woo side .  You have nothing to loose. Go Jetti and use the force Luke. :D 

Hi, ShadowBorn!

Not sure what you are suggesting. I don't understand how "woo" fits in with barks. Yes, we heard over a dozen "barks" from three directions. Yes, we found prints up there with a 42" stride. But how this fits in with the metaphysical, I don't follow. I am a flesh and blood kind of guy for the most part, at least when it comes to Bigfootery. An "agnostic" when it comes to woo. Not an "atheist" though. That said, I am also open minded enough to try something else. What did you have in mind? we're headed back up there this weekend to go check out the possible "caves" that seem to be indicated on Google Earth. They may be too hard to get to, I don't know. But that is one of the three directions that we heard the sounds coming from. We also want to see if there are any new prints up there that can be cast, as it sounds like one of those "barks" was getting closer to us before we had to boogie.

• Upvote 2

On 7/22/2019 at 11:22 AM, NorthWind said:

Was out this weekend. Heard a single "bark" from the woods. I shrugged it off. Later that same day I was up on a ridge overlooking a canyon not far from where we found the stacked bones I posted a couple months ago. Maybe a mile. But it was miles from where we heard the first bark. My partner did a yell into the canyon (he does that :) ), and twenty or thirty seconds later, there was a bark to our west. Then there was another one from the southwest. Then there was another from the northwest. We heard over a dozen single barks, from three areas, all of them sounded the same, like a St. Bernard. Just single barks. It was quite odd.  Each spaced out maybe a minute or two or three apart.

Are there any accounts that you have heard of of a BF barking like that? I really cannot believe it would have been a dog. Certainly not three of them. Single barks, not woof woof woof. Anyway, Google Earth shows that canyon with a stream at the bottom, no campgrounds at all for miles. The stream itself looks like it may have caves to the southwest. Something we will have to check out another day.

NorthWind, that was interesting. Here's something that came to my mind when reading the bolded portion. What is intriguing to me is how none of the sources that responded to your partners yell ever barked at the same time or even a few seconds apart. You mention a bark from three different directions but all spaced one to three minutes apart. It's hard to imagine three dogs or maybe three coyotes, or three somethings, each located in three different directions from you and all bark only a single time in response and never right together; always spaced out. Is this how a dog would react to hearing a human sound? That's not how it is when the two dogs across the street from me react when they merely hear me outside. ;) 

When you look at the whole picture; Three dogs or maybe three coyotes, just happened to be in your general area and located in three different directions from you right at the same time you and your cohort were out there. And when your cohort made a yell, all three of whatever you heard all reacted identically; all three made single barks only and never right together.

I am curious; Did the barks seem very far from you? Did they sound far enough away that it would take something of a large size to make a bark you could hear? Or were the barks close enough that they could have come from something of a smallish size?

9 minutes ago, OkieFoot said:

NorthWind, that was interesting. Here's something that came to my mind when reading the bolded portion. What is intriguing to me is how none of the sources that responded to your partners yell ever barked at the same time or even a few seconds apart. You mention a bark from three different directions but all spaced one to three minutes apart. It's hard to imagine three dogs or maybe three coyotes, or three somethings, each located in three different directions from you and all bark only a single time in response and never right together; always spaced out. Is this how a dog would react to hearing a human sound? That's not how it is when the two dogs across the street from me react when they merely hear me outside. ;) 

When you look at the whole picture; Three dogs or maybe three coyotes, just happened to be in your general area and located in three different directions from you right at the same time you and your cohort were out there. And when your cohort made a yell, all three of whatever you heard all reacted identically; all three made single barks only and never right together.

I am curious; Did the barks seem very far from you? Did they sound far enough away that it would take something of a large size to make a bark you could hear? Or were the barks close enough that they could have come from something of a smallish size?

It is difficult to say exactly how far away they were. They were distant, as you can hear in the audio. If I had to venture a guess, I would say 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile away at least. But that is just a guesstimate. But it was a pretty open space in that area. Possibly further. I just don't know for sure. 

Thanks!

Definitely sounds like a dog. If you were out there and didn't think BF was real, you'd never even think twice about that.

It has been said before a couple of pages back, but black bears also bark.  It is a deep 'huff' that sounds a lot like a large dog.  When bear hunting, it's the alarm sound they make when they 'wind' you.  Right before they run away.  :)

17x7

• Upvote 1

On 7/28/2019 at 7:58 AM, NatFoot said:

Thanks!

Definitely sounds like a dog. If you were out there and didn't think BF was real, you'd never even think twice about that.

They do sound like dog barks. But I honestly don't believe they were. They were too far apart in frequency, and distance. The file that Redbone made is cut together with just the barks, so it sounds like they were made all close together chronologically, but they were a couple of minutes apart. And from 3 directions. 

Bear huffs just don't sound like that. Nor do elk, cougar, or even coyote.

Now the "Illinois Barker" sounds are the closest sounds I have heard yet. 

We went down into that canyon yesterday to explore. There is no way to get a vehicle in there due to rockslides across the road, and we would also tell from the dadndelion-like heads on the weeds that nobody had been down there for quite some time. We had to park and walk in about a mile or so. We were on the only road in there, and it dead ends.

We were hoping to get down to the possible caves that look to be down there on Google Earth, but there was no safe way in and we decided against it. Maybe next time we could try following the creek itself. I was with Madison and my squatching partner. We did find, though, that there is water flowing at the bottom of the canyon. There certainly are no campgrounds, nor are there signs of any recent human or dog activity.

I am about out of logical explanations for this, save one.

Oh, the Illinois Barker gives me the creeps! Stan Courtney has some awesome.  Listen to the one running over the bridge and you'll hear how they can haul ass on all fours. 

Awesome audio clean up, Redbone! Could you pick out my forest footsteos on my video if you ever have some time?

4 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Oh, the Illinois Barker gives me the creeps! Stan Courtney has some awesome.  Listen to the one running over the bridge and you'll hear how they can haul ass on all fours. 

Awesome audio clean up, Redbone! Could you pick out my forest footsteos on my video if you ever have some time?

yes, but can you save me some searching? send me a link to the video and tell me at what time the footsteps happen.