Does BF "bark"?

NorthWind

On 7/23/2019 at 7:57 AM, NorthWind said:

Yes, this was in Oregon. The Cascade range.  I am reasonably sure that we were alone up there. It's pretty "out there" where we were. Looking on Google Earth, there IS a road that goes down to the area we heard the sounds, and it IS a dead end, accessible from the same road we were on. We had seen no other vehicle up there all day. Now I suppose some folks could have been camping down there. In three different locations on the road. About a half mile to a mile apart, I would guess. With each camp having a dog that sounded just like the other two camps' dogs. And each camp not having a real "campground" but just a turnout on the side of the road. With no smoke at dinnertime. No access to the river. But that scenario, to me, while theoretically possible, seems nearly ridiculously unlikely.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Tw8HtTDsYZXMd_MHfgqiDQp3APq4V8L-

That's the audio file. Actually a bunch of them in order of recording. They are amplified in Audacity, and trimmed. Each recording is separated by a 440Hz tone. Many times in these, the "bark" comes at the beginning of the clip because the recorder I have has a "buffer" where I can hear a sound and then hit the button and it has still recorded. Saves battery life somewhat. Sorry there are some loud noises of knocks and yells on occasion. 

Northwind, I have heard those before. I also believe it was Explorer that posted similar audio a while back. Not sure which thread. I believe his was recorded in northern CA. Anyway, those are nighthawks. You can hear their peeps throughout the rest of your recording. They make that 'bark' when they dive chasing insects. It's also been called a growl noise. I don't have a link but look up nighthawk in the Macaulay library of sound audio files. They should have what you heard. I have various recordings of them but can't access them right now. 

On 7/22/2019 at 12:08 PM, Wood Wose said:

There's several recordings on a barking sasquatch on youtube.  I've heard barking on someone's audio files too but can't remember where?

You can just about hear tje bark in this video, crank up the volume.

Wood Wose, those are elk barking. Being an elk hunter, they do bark very loud and very much like a big dog. It has nothing to do with mating season. They use those barks as warning signals. So if we are in elk country, and the Mogollon Rim in AZ is, we can't rule out elk. 

I was elk hunting in September a couple years ago and heard something running and barking in the distance. I asked my hunting partner about it later and he actually saw it. For whatever reason a raven was following it and the cow elk seemed very distressed. Maybe something else was hunting the elk and spooked it and the raven was keeping tabs on it. ;)

I work with Chris Spencer who works with audio a lot. I'm friends with David Ellis of the Olympic Project as well. They both use the Macaulay Library of sound extensively. My suggestion to everyone in the woods is to get to know what the usual sounds in your area are before turning to bigfoot as the culprit. 

I also listened to those recordings from Mississippi. My opinion on that is it sounded like a fox barked and a lot of dogs answered. That's what happens where I live, in a rural area. I quit recording even though I would get some unusual sounds occasionally, the dogs would always start barking and drown everything else out. And yes I could hear the dogs up to a mile or more away at times. 

1 hour ago, NorthWind said:

Thanks, BTW! Mystery solved, I think!

You're welcome. But as to your original question 'Does BF bark?', who knows. Unless we were to record one doing that, we sure couldn't say no. We can bark, so I don't see why BF couldn't imitate that as well. 

It's just a good practice to eliminate the known first. As I can tell you were trying to do here. 

Exack-a-dackly. I'm just looking for truth.  

I spent the night up there a week ago. It was quite spooky. I didn't get anything in the way of audio recordings, because it was raining pretty hard the whole time I was there. All I would have recorded would have been the sounds of rain. But I did hear some unusual sounds coming from the tree tops on several sides of my camp. It sounded like a loud stomach growling noise, from time to time. Makes ya go, "Hmm?" I still do not know what it was. Some people might think owl, but I have never heard an owl make that sound.  Also heard twice a sound that almost sounded human from the woods there that sounded like someone saying, "Whah?" in a fairly low-pitched voice. No idea there, either. 

• Upvote 2

BFF Patron

My first encounter the two adult BF were whooping at each other as they moved through the woods.  That whoop could be construed as a bark I suppose but it was more like what a human could produce by vocalizing "whooop".    The "P" was definitely pronounced.    

• Upvote 1

Interesting sound clips. I wouldn't describe what I'm hearing as a bark. It's more like a short howl to me.

2 hours ago, NorthWind said:

..........I spent the night up there a week ago. It was quite spooky. I didn't get anything in the way of audio recordings, because it was raining pretty hard the whole time I was there........

Just out of curiosity, were you in a tent, under a tarp, in an RV, or what? 

Edited by Huntster

8 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Interesting sound clips. I wouldn't describe what I'm hearing as a bark. It's more like a short howl to me.

Just out of curiosity, were you in a tent, under a tarp, in an RV, or what? 

They may have been nighthawks in the recording. Then again, who knows?

I slept in the back of my pickup. It has a hard canopy. I also had a 10x10 pop-up over the back part of the truck, so I would have a dry place to get out in the middle of the night. I lost my entire colon fifteen years or so ago to ulcerative colitis and I have to get up several times a night to take care of business, so I need it to be as easy as possible. TMI, I know. The funny part is that the rain would collect on the roof part of the pop up. Of course, while I was lying in the back of the truck listening, and imagining a 9 foot tall creature outside, it decided to dump that water load on top of the canopy in one large whoosh! Scared the bejeepers out of me. LOL Then it would wait until I was almost asleep and do it again, and again. I have had better nights' sleep, believe me. Still, it was fun, and always nice to get out in the woods. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I got stuck in my tent last week for @ 36 hours to rain. I had two tents; one for sleeping, and one @ 50 yards away for cooking, eating, and food storage. Caribou meat was bagged and under a tarp next to a cool babbling brook near the food tent. 

I hate getting weathered like that, especially in a tent I can't see out of. I did get up, get dressed, and walked over to the food tent a couple of times that day for morning coffee then dinner, but it still felt like prison.

• 7 months later...
BFF Patron

Any wolves out there?    Sounds more like a short howl to me too with some barking off in the distance.     Related to the barking, I encountered a pack of wild dogs once.    They can be most anyplace.        This pack came after me and I barely made it back to my truck before they caught up with me.     They were a hell of a lot more scary than coyotes I have encountered.   They had absolutely no fear and seemed intent on running me down.    I would carry a gun in this area just because of them.  

I have experienced  4 vocal sounds out of bigfoot.     Twice heard the BFRO "Ohio Howl".     Once in Washington and once in Oregon.   Both were about 2 AM.    Bother were distant but had to have been very loud.      Another sound was a growl when I tried to get one to break cover.    The third was back and forth whooping as two moved through the woods abeam each other.  They would whoop at each other every 20 or 30 seconds.      And the forth was what sounded like a child speaking Chinese.     There must be many more sounds they make but these four are all I have heard.    

Edited by SWWASAS
  • Upvote 1

Vocalizations I have heard that I associated with sasquatchs was; yells every summer for a while that reminded me of a peacocks cadence only drawn out and not the actual sound of a peacock, but like one urraaaaaaahhh about 5 seconds long repeated every 10 min to half hour for hours. Super growly samurai chatter, girls speaking Chinese and whispering the same language, knocks, and extremely loud resonating African lion roars that were impossibly loud like hurt your ears and resonate in your chest loud and they were coming from at least 1/2 mile or more away. No barks though.

• Upvote 1

SSR Team
On 7/23/2019 at 1:17 AM, MIB said:

Sometimes a dog bark is just a dog bark (with apologies to Freud :)) but if bigfoots are as good at mimicking various animals as lore suggests, then a bark being in their repertoire is a given.   The question becomes one of absolutely eliminating regular dogs as the source of what you heard as well as eliminating all "normal" animal possibilities.    Note that bears can give a sort of bark or woof/huff, but that's unlikely if it was coming from many locations since bears are not pack/herd animals.   Elk will also "bark" .. and as I imagine the setting described, I think that is a real serious possibility.  

MIB

There's your answer..;)

• 3 weeks later...