Thermal Images

hiflier

Thought this would be a good place to start this. These images are from a FLIR TK Ocean which is the same device as a FLIR TK Scout but with a different body color. It FLIR's low end model which is next in line after the FLIR One which attaches to an iPhone. These are all daytime pics.

Three baby birds in a nest inside a shrub:

PIC_0001.JPG.dda98910b0db8f8bd502774ceda02985.JPG

People in canoe and kayak:

PIC_0011.JPG.6b31610aff32f8bd84bc654e8234bae8.JPG

Trees about 3/4 mile across a bay:

PIC_0007.JPG.ee35bc7de19e4b3cf9894798853beffb.JPG

My dog:

PIC_0008.JPG.c7c29be65c739e1c57adcb689c9e303e.JPG

Edited by hiflier

Nice Hiflier. Very clear, with details, and easy to see what you're dealing with. Thanks for sharing.

I'm a huge proponent of thermal imagers.  Even in daylight, the forest where I go is thick and it seems to be eternal darkness, All the more reason to have a thermal even in day light where a sasquatch, bear, or whatever is out there may be camouflaged behind bushes. The thermal may pickup heat coming from between leaves or branches letting you know something is there.

• Upvote 1

The flir tk model isn't bad is you're on a budget. Back when I got mine which was the 22nd one made as I had it preorder before they were released to the public. I did a few quick tests with it when I got it and found it's good enough to pick up flying bats in the middle of the night. They would fly in about 5 yards from me and then out to around 25 to 30 yards away from me in the air. Shows a rabbit next to one of our decks also at the end which was around 30 yards from me. It's weird also that you can see the moon in the TK also at night. I know quite a few researchers using the TK now and most doesn't know there is a little button wheel on the back side. It tightens up the picture so you can dial in a better outline. I found the middle position always worked best for me. The newer model TK could be better than the early version I got though but I have no clue.  I'll still plan on using the TK as a backup but recently I stepped up to a much more expensive thermal model from another brand that has left anything flir does in the rear view mirror. 

Here is the old TK thermal of the bats.

• 1 month later...

As I posted in another thread, I have the Scout TK arriving tomorrow. I was going to go with either a Leupold or drop some coin on the Scout II.  I went with the TK due to its ability to record images and video.  Down the road I may upgrade to a better thermal unit that can record video out to a separate piece of equipment.  However, for now I want to keep it simple.  We are in the Smokeys a lot at night, and I think that a thermal scope will be worth the expense.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

At this point I think a TK Scout (I have the "Ocean" model which has a different body color) is the minimum anyone should carry. If one can afford more then go for it. But I'm with you, BRB, recording video as well as single images is a must.

We had a chance to use it in the field this past weekend.  The simplicity of this unit cannot be overstated.  No 'video out' cables or separate recording units to fumble with in the dark.  The ability to capture images and video at the press of a button is great.  

Even if we step up to another unit with better resolution, we will keep the Scout TK in our arsenal.

• Upvote 1

I agree, the unit's simplicity is terrific. And light enough to use for extended periods too. If there was ever a reasonably priced PASSIVE device to carry into the field this is the baby to take. The 9hz refresh rate is a complaint that some have but for quick scanning I have no issues "reading between the lines" to quickly check a perimeter. ANYTHING warm blooded will stand out and once one gets used to seeing such things and realizing the contrast differences then scanning becomes a non issue IMHO. Don't think I properly welcomed you to the BFF so welcome! :) 

• Thanks 1

• gigantor featured this topic
23 hours ago, hiflier said:

I agree, the unit's simplicity is terrific. And light enough to use for extended periods too. If there was ever a reasonably priced PASSIVE device to carry into the field this is the baby to take. The 9hz refresh rate is a complaint that some have but for quick scanning I have no issues "reading between the lines" to quickly check a perimeter. ANYTHING warm blooded will stand out and once one gets used to seeing such things and realizing the contrast differences then scanning becomes a non issue IMHO. Don't think I properly welcomed you to the BFF so welcome! :) 

Thanks!  I enjoy participating in this forum, even though I do far more reading than posting.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Thanks!  I enjoy participating in this forum, even though I do far more reading than posting.

Something I should probably be doing myself LOL.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NorthWind said:

That's it.  I am officially saving up for one of these babies.

Used ones come up on eBay fairly frequently, although you will probably get one out of warranty.  I looked for awhile before finding a deal on a one.

The best regular price that I could find was through Scheels.  $499...free shipping and no sales tax.  They are out of stock now, but keep an eye out and I am sure that they will get it back in stock.

FLIR Scout

• Upvote 2

Got mine for the same deal through the GPS store. There in stock there:  https://www.thegpsstore.com/FLIR-Ocean-Scout-TK-P4773.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIya6ws4bv5AIVDF8NCh12ZAc2EAQYAyABEgIhQvD_BwE

I immediately went to FLIR and registered the product which is something I almost NEVER do but thought this was a special case. The chat room people were great at answering questions but the factory price there is 100 bucks more than the GPS Store.

BTW, Northwind, my technique with the device if to go 50 yds. or so stop and do a quick 360 degree scan then follow with another slower one. Then go another 50 yds. That varies with the density of the terrain but it's quick to scan pond and lake shorelines which seems to be part of your field work with Madison?

Edited by hiflier

2 hours ago, hiflier said:

... Northwind, my technique with the device if to go 50 yds. or so stop and do a quick 360 degree scan then follow with another slower one. Then go another 50 yds. That varies with the density of the terrain but it's quick to scan pond and lake shorelines which seems to be part of your field work with Madison?

It is... kind of. Personally, I prefer to go into the deeper darker parts of the woods where people don't tend to go, nor can they easily get to. That's where I tend to focus. I think this type of terrain at times may be a bit too difficult for Madison, but I hate speaking for her. Madison, I think (correct me if I am wrong, Madison!), prefers the easier routes often very close to water. But that's part of her theory and documentation that she is following. But here in Oregon, there is so much water everywhere that I don't think our quarry needs to stay so close to it all the time. There is usually a source of water in some form within a mile or two of almost everywhere.

The prints she finds may be from sasquatch, but they are small - within human range. She believes that nobody would let their kids play barefoot in an area with a fair bit of broken glass, fish hooks, and sharp rocks. But I try to remind her that many in today's generation eat frickin' Tide pods. But we enjoy going out anyway. And, a varied approach seems like a good idea to me.

I will keep saving for a FLIR. Appreciate the info, hiflier. and BlackRockBigfoot.

• Haha 1

My pleasure, NorthWind.

I am a gadget junky, so I am always on the lookout for deals on field equipment.  If I ever run across a great deal on the Scout TK, I will be sure to post it up here.

1 minute ago, NorthWind said:

A question I forgot to ask, does this use a micro SD card? If so what size, and does it come with the unit? If not, what does it record to?

It has internal memory.  Enough for about 4 hours of video and around 1000 photos.  You can then download the images via the included USB cable.  All in all, a very user friendly piece of equipment.

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic