Thermal Images

hiflier

It also has an internal display viewed through the eyepiece so that images and videos can be seen and played back within the device for reviewing while in the field.

Here are two videos shot with my Pulsar Helion. I prefer using black hot but this particular night I decided to use red hot and it captured chipmunks running and climbing. If it can pick up something that small, it will capture a sasquatch with no problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLtaIbiS9qM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbca0qjPIFY

Thermal imagers provide the opportunity for us to be more active and productive at night in the woods which is when I think we have the best chance of getting a sighting. 

• Upvote 1

I also have the Scout TK. It's a great little unit. The only drawback to it is that I have to keep charging the internal battery. For some reason (and this is a common complaint with these devices) it loses its charge when left unattended for a while. If I don't go out for a week, I have to charge the battery the day before I go because it will lose its charge just sitting on my desk (yes, the power is always off when not in use).

• gigantor unfeatured this topic

I have the FLIR H-Series 324 Command with a 16gb sd card. I can record at least 2 full nights with the help of a fully charged spare car battery, an inverter, extension cord, wall charger, and turn the FLIR's standby switch to the off position. Then I mount the FLIR on a tripod either in a blind, tent, or in the back of the truck with an open window. I also setup two or three trail cams to cover the other sides the FLIR can't see.

855346651_FLIRSetup.thumb.JPG.2be8f9ae27e31784324607c0a51e76f2.JPG

• Upvote 3

On 9/26/2019 at 10:53 AM, hiflier said:

That varies with the density of the terrain but it's quick to scan pond and lake shorelines which seems to be part of your field work with Madison?

Sometimes our forests are incredibly dense and you can't see 10 feet into it. A FLIR would have been awesome when I was hearing steps in the forest behind an impenetrable screen of bushes snd bramble at the Meadow, and then my bigfooting buddy saw something duck into the woods. We could have busted it bigtime. 

Save up, NorthWind!

20191006_101600.jpg

• Upvote 1

Where it go the forest is dense too which is one of the reasons why a thermal imager is helpful. Under the canopy of trees,  even during daytime, the forest is darkened and a thermal imager helps to see something the naked eye might have trouble seeing much less identifying.

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2019 at 6:15 PM, NorthWind said:

Awesome, BRB...thank you!

Flir Scout TK on eBay

NorthWind

Not sure if you are in the market for a Flir, but there is a pretty good deal on eBay right now for a used one.  $338.

It's eBay, so if you took a chance on it and it had any issues you would be able to return it with no problems.

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

Manufacturers often require retailers to advertise thermal imagers at MSRP.  They are free to sell them at a lower price, but that has to be negotiated between buyer and seller.  When I was looking to buy my Pulsar,  it was a waste of time to look at advertised price at various websites. You had to do your own gumshoeing and call them. Yeah, it takes a little time but the savings were real.

I would encourage anyone looking to buy a thermal imager to look at hunting websites such as Texashuntingforum.com and Rokslide.com and look at advertisers, sponsors, or other retailers mentioned by those who post there. That's how I found small retailers who would be very competitive in pricing and willing to negotiate.

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/42/1/optics

If there are specific issues you have technical questions about regarding thermal imagers, such as the interplay of field of vision and base magnification,  the best forum I've found is in the UK. You may have to register there but you'll have access to a wealth of knowledge and in my opinion, they are the smartest of the smart.

https://www.nightvisionforumuk.com/

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Flir Scout TK on eBay

NorthWind

Not sure if you are in the market for a Flir, but there is a pretty good deal on eBay right now for a used one.  $338.

It's eBay, so if you took a chance on it and it had any issues you would be able to return it with no problems.

Thank you. I am still saving. It's a slow process and my camera just died, too. Will consider it when I have the funds.

BFF Patron
On 9/26/2019 at 2:01 PM, NorthWind said:

It is... kind of. Personally, I prefer to go into the deeper darker parts of the woods where people don't tend to go, nor can they easily get to. That's where I tend to focus. I think this type of terrain at times may be a bit too difficult for Madison, but I hate speaking for her. Madison, I think (correct me if I am wrong, Madison!), prefers the easier routes often very close to water. But that's part of her theory and documentation that she is following. But here in Oregon, there is so much water everywhere that I don't think our quarry needs to stay so close to it all the time. There is usually a sI ource of water in some form within a mile or two of almost everywhere.

The prints she finds may be from sasquatch, but they are small - within human range. She believes that nobody would let their kids play barefoot in an area with a fair bit of broken glass, fish hooks, and sharp rocks. But I try to remind her that many in today's generation eat frickin' Tide pods. But we enjoy going out anyway. And, a varied approach seems like a good idea to me.

I will keep saving for a FLIR. Appreciate the info, hiflier. and BlackRockBigfoot.

I have to agree with Madison.      I have been within a half mile of water for most footprint finds and interactions.    I'm sure they are away from water a lot but then again, they do have to drink, especially during the hot months.   So they have to make frequent trips to water sources.      I could not figure why they seem to be attracted to one patch of woods.    I would find a footprint in or near there every few months.    Then I figured out a depression in the area was a collapsed lava tube.   I followed it and discovered an artesian spring bubbling out of the lava tube.    Even though there is a year round creek within a half mile,   I think they recognized how pure the artesian water was and came there to drink when in the area.    They were making a bee line for the location  when I nearly got run over that time.  

I just had a thought.    No one has ever reported seeing a BF carry a bowl or jug and the woods are full of them.     There are so many illegal garbage dumps that finding a 5 gallon bucket or gallon container would be easy.    Their brains must not comprehend that they can fill a bucket or jug and not make so many trips for water.     I think that says a lot about their brain if true.   

Edited by SWWASAS

Maybe they think that carrying around a water bucket could compromise their location or be easily seen. Why introduce a human-related item when they're getting along just fine making trips to nature's water cooler?

BFF Patron

It seems to me that their lack of building skills means their brains word different than ours.    Maybe they cannot visualize something and construct it?   Or perhaps they think in two dimensions and cannot imagine a container holding water?   I just think it strange.   You could be right too.   There are a lot of possible reasons for what they do or don't do.