Bigfoot & the Vietnam War

Show Me Bigfoot

Here's an interesting article a friend sent me titled "Rock Apes: The Yetis That Plagued GI’s in The Vietnam War" which I posted on my Facebook page.  There's a link to it on the Home page of the Show Me Bigfoot site.  If you make it there and you don't mind give me a Like.

A coworker whom was an infantry marine in Vietnam told me that the local rock apes would throw rocks at them quite regular. 

Thanks for sharing. 

The biggest take-away from this topic is the lack of a body. If these animals did exist during US operations in-country, the  best question to ask is how they could throw rocks with impunity at armed-to-the-teeth troops in a free fire zone and not even one gets greased? Or the fact that Charlie couldn't wing one either?  What does this say about the probabilities of any civilian hunter getting a realistic chance? To believe these accounts is to believe that the animal eluded the most well trained, well armed and  most experienced and ruthless group of jungle fighters the world has probably ever seen.  IF that is true, it makes a pretty dismal prediction for the success of the pro-kill contingent, am I right?  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, WSA said:

The biggest take-away from this topic is the lack of a body. If these animals did exist during US operations in-country, the  best question to ask is how they could throw rocks with impunity at armed-to-the-teeth troops in a free fire zone and not even one gets greased? Or the fact that Charlie couldn't wing one either?  What does this say about the probabilities of any civilian hunter getting a realistic chance? To believe these accounts is to believe that the animal eluded the most well trained, well armed and  most experienced and ruthless group of jungle fighters the world has probably ever seen.  IF that is true, it makes a pretty dismal prediction for the success of the pro-kill contingent, am I right?  

My friend said it was accepted and not considered a threat. More things to worry about than rocks. 

Such as the enemy. I of course just think it was more than likely that the rock throwers were local humans. 

My assumption is that troops on patrol in the hostile boonies would tend to shoot first at anything they saw on two legs not obviously a friendly. Those I know/have known who survived that experience were very clear that they saw their best chance of surviving depended on them shooting at whatever moved...especially in the late years of the war when troop discipline was seriously in decline. This led to some tragedies of mistaken identity. Why a Rock Ape wouldn't been part of that collateral damage, from either side, is curious.     

PG....I don't know about you, but  I would predict if I were on a combat patrol in hostile country, saw something on two legs toss something heavy towards me, which landed with a "thud", the last thing I'm thinking is "Oh, that's just a Rock Ape , it's harmless". Umm no. The first thing I'm likely to think is "GRENADE!!!", which is what I will likely scream as I hit the dirt, possibly as I squeeze off a burst in its general direction.  As a general rule, I'm guessing it is not advisable to toss heavy objects randomly at armed and jittery young men who are expecting trouble at any minute.  This is why I'm just conducting this little thought experiment....not sure how, if true, we avoided killing a Rock Ape for a VC or an NVA .  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, WSA said:

My assumption is that troops on patrol in the hostile boonies would tend to shoot first at anything they saw on two legs not obviously a friendly..........

My friend opened up on a phuck-u lizard with an M-60 when it jumped out in front of him.

Haven't heard of that variety, or at least by that name Huntster. When I spent five months at NAS Cubi Point in Subic Bay on detached duty from the air wing on Enterprise we frequently encountered Monitor Lizards. They could get up to five feet or so and sometimes blocked traffic when sunning themselves on the pavement. Our transient barracks were a bunch of Quonset huts with the road on one side and jungle on the other, next door to the JEST (Jungle Escape Survival Training) Camp. Just looked at Google Earth imagery from April of this year and it's all still there though the jungle has encroached a bit more and the JEST Camp has a little pine tree symbol that usually denotes a park.

The plus side was the newest EM club on base was diagonally across the road about a hundred yards away. We had one guy with us for a couple of weeks that was a suit short of a full deck and a terrible bigot who managed to alienate a sizable portion of the African Americans on the Big "E"; they took him off the ship for his own safety and he was on his way Stateside for out processing, likely with a general discharge. He returned to the hut one night white as a sheet after taking a drunken "shortcut" through the jungle from the club across the street. We finally got out of him that an evidently large Monitor reared up on hind legs and hissed at him (probably stepped on its tail) and he was sure it was going to eat him. We all kind of pitied the guy and it was hard to imagine how he even made it into boot camp let alone graduated. The thought of him armed with anything more than a cap gun would have been sufficient to make your blood run cold. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/28/2019 at 9:56 AM, NatFoot said:

Link to article?

Sorry! Its on the Show Me Bigfoot Facebook page which you can find a few links to on my https://showmebigfoot.com/ website.  You can find the Vietnam Rock Ape post at https://www.facebook.com/ShowMeBigfoot as well as a new post showing two different media spins on the recent Mammoth Cave Bigfoot sighting/shooting incident.

• Downvote 2