Fire or no fire?

wiiawiwb

John Green has 61 reports near a camp. The SSR nearly 400. There's probably some overlaps but my impression in those reports is that BF does approach a camp whether there's a campfire or not. If they are going to, they will. Of course not all BF's would be comfortable at a camp with a fire going. Like anything else it probably depends on the individual. IMHO, an active area that has a lot of campsites scattered around probably has Sasquatch that are used to seeing/smelling a campfire. It may understand a controlled fire situation and equate it with Human presence, tents and other things, like children. Or am I giving the creature just too much credit here?  

Edited by hiflier

1 hour ago, hiflier said:

John Green has 61 reports near a camp. The SSR nearly 400. There's probably some overlaps but my impression in those reports is that BF does approach a camp whether there's a campfire or not. If they are going to, they will. Of course not all BF's would be comfortable at a camp with a fire going. Like anything else it probably depends on the individual. IMHO, an active area that has a lot of campsites scattered around probably has Sasquatch that are used to seeing/smelling a campfire. It may understand a controlled fire situation and equate it with Human presence, tents and other things, like children. Or am I giving the creature just too much credit here?  

I think they probably have a natural fear of it but I agree that adults would be able to tell the difference between a wild fire and a camp fire just like all animals can . They do live in areas where a lot of people hike that start camp fires all the time. They would be nervous wreaks  if it really scared or bothered them.

I also think it could make them curious to get close to your camp site to just watch you.

• Upvote 1

True enough :) Had deer and elk walk through campgrounds in both Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain National Park. Nothing new under the sun there. And yeah, there were campfires going. Animals get used to such things. Plenty of BF reports of then watching people in camps.

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron
17 hours ago, hiflier said:

There has been a long term camping bigfoot interaction situation going on in Northern Idaho for many years.   One group of several humans come and camp every summer.   From what they describe, the humans around the campfire talking and singing are nightly entertainment for the local bigfoot.    The bigfoot get on a ridge behind a bathroom and watch and have been seen several times.   They described one situation in which a camper not in their group parked his camper or trailer obstructing the view of the campfire circle from the bigfoot on the ridge.     According to the regular campers,    BF harassed the strange camper so much that night that they left the next morning,  because of the BF slapping the side of the camper all night.         The camper thought the humans there were the source of the harassment.    The local BF were known to wander the camp at night examining things left out.  

Edited by SWWASAS

Plenty of natural fires too. Sasquatch may watch a small fire at night to see if it is going to do what most natural fires do.....spread. If a natural fire goes one way the BF goes the other. A campfire may be a curiosity that plays a bit into the known behavior of fires based in a survival instinct. Getting into the mind of a creature like a BF may be an exercise in reducing things to the simpler basic instincts that any creature in the wild would have. Plus a camper isn't wandering around much except on known paths of travel. For an intelligent creature who may always have a purpose for what they do they may be in a quandary as to why Humans go camping. Especially since camping for the most part, in all of its aspects, is not a threatening, competitive activity directed at a Bigfoot's way of life.

1) observing an intruder

2) observing an intruder that isn't acting like a hunter

3) observing a sight and smell of a controlled fire

4) observing activities to see if any danger is presented

5) cooking noises and smells

6) laughter or music

7) the sound of juveniles

8 watching the handling of objects

9) a Bigfoot may not understand why Humans are even there

Edited by hiflier

BFF Patron
1 hour ago, hiflier said:

Plenty of natural fires too. Sasquatch may watch a small fire at night to see if it is going to do what most natural fires do.....spread. If a natural fire goes one way the BF goes the other. A campfire may be a curiosity that plays a bit into the known behavior of fires based in a survival instinct. Getting into the mind of a creature like a BF may be an exercise in reducing things to the simpler basic instincts that any creature in the wild would have. Plus a camper isn't wandering around much except on known paths of travel. For an intelligent creature who may always have a purpose for what they do they may be in a quandary as to why Humans go camping. Especially since camping for the most part, in all of its aspects, is not a threatening, competitive activity directed at a Bigfoot's way of life.

1) observing an intruder

2) observing an intruder that isn't acting like a hunter

3) observing a sight and smell of a controlled fire

4) observing activities to see if any danger is presented

5) cooking noises and smells

6) laughter or music

7) the sound of juveniles

8 watching the handling of objects

9) a Bigfoot may not understand why Humans are even there

Likewise your list is a list of human behavior that makes us easier to keep tabs on.     We kill our night vision and sense of smell with the fire, and obscure sounds around by many of the activities in your list.     Those activities make it very easy to be a safe distance away and monitor humans in the area.    Some very interesting things happen when humans have put out their fire, and get up unexpectedly during the night to do something like relieve themselves.  BF might not understand camping but may in a lot of situations resent human intrusion into their territory because of disruption to their game hunting.