Bigfoot Gumbo

Where is the original PGF?

Twist

Good perspective Inc.   Easy to dismiss it as just $15 measly dollars today. Certainly not the case at the time.   

Backdoc
6 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

For a little perspective, I graduated HS in 1972, and that summer, before starting college, worked a construction job at  $2/hour.

Once school started, I took a part-time, evening job at minimum-wage, $1.65/hr.

Bought my second car, a one-owner '69 Plymouth Sport Satellite convertible in '72, with 18k miles for $1800.

$15 was no small amount in 1967.

$15 would buy an OUNCE of green, leafy, smokable substance in 1973. Concert tickets for major acts were $4.95 to $6.95.

(... adding to the shock that Bob Heironimus would be offer  $1,000 (!) in 1967 to wear an ape suit.  Then, staying silent when he wasn't paid this sum while others were cashing in big.)

As far as the film goes, it would seem to me the second reel was not considered 'valuable' at the time by anyone including Roger and Bob other than to show or verify their story.  If a film had Bigfoot on it, that's the focus.  In 1967 Reel #2 would only be supportive of Reel #1.   If Reel #1 was rejected or 'too blurry' in the opinion of others Reel #2 isn't changing that.   Today with our tech we might take Reel #2 and tell exactly how far Patty walked by Tree 1, Tree 2, and so on.    Those many details would answer even more Q now.

It doesn't surprise me reel #2 might not have been a high priority around the 1960's/1970s.  What does not make much sense to me is why they didn't seem to pay for a couple of copies early on.   If the BBC or whomever was wanting footage from Reel #2 for some TV show or documentary I find it hard to imagine Roger would give them the original #2 without copies being made first.  Even then, maybe you just loan out the copy.  If others reported seeing some footage from Reel #2 in some presentations of the PGF, there is no way this was footage from the original Reel #2.  It had to be a copy. Thus, reel #2 had to be copied at some point.  This means copy or copies existed.

It makes the most sense to me Reel #1 and Reel #2 were lost at the same time.  I don't know if reported history matches this guess on my part though.  If Reel #1 is in the hands of Rene' family then I would not be surprised Reel #2 is with it.  It is hard to imagine Reel #1 being lost in one way and Reel #2 being lost at another time another way.  Further, once Reel #1 was not returned, I doubt they loan out an original Reel #2 to anyone.  They would say, "I'd like to but we have had a hard time getting stuff we loan out returned to us"

Edited by Backdoc

Backdoc

Al DeAtley:

With the recent death of Al DeAtley is it possible Al might have a copy of Reel #1 or #2 or even the original of Reel #1 or #2 in a safe somewhere?  I know some of this might have been proposed before and could tell me why this is not the case. All I am saying is we don't know what he might have-if anything-and he or his people might not even know/remember what he might have in a shoebox somehwere.   The timing seems right for the right person/people to try to find out with his recent death.

Maybe there would be a possibility for some quality, well credentialed, (and Not Crazy) individual examine any such potential?  My example of this would be when Bill Munns was able to examine a copy of the PGF on a Discovery/ Nat Geo-type show from Mrs. Patterson.

Maybe Al has some partial Reel#2 footage which survived used in the early promotion of the PGF.  Even a less than complete reel might be more than we have today or better quality imaging if it is repeat material.

Many who think of Al think of this Suit Story.   Just as important might be his possible possession of Reel #1 or Reel #2 material.  Just thinking out loud the Suit Story might be missing the target on the value of what Al might actually have.

ThinkAboutPools

Al DeAtley has a son and daughter and some grandkids. Have they ever spoken about the PGF? There's got to be a boy in that family that asked Dad/Grandpa for some 411 on the PGF.

Backdoc
12 hours ago, ThinkAboutPools said:

Al DeAtley has a son and daughter and some grandkids. Have they ever spoken about the PGF? There's got to be a boy in that family that asked Dad/Grandpa for some 411 on the PGF.

Think,

I don't really think Al would have the original Reel #1 or #2 but he might have bigfoot advertising materials, clippings, or even a copy from Reel #2, or part of a copy.   Others more knowledgeable about the actual Reel #1 have it traced to some individuals who made prints from it and then the trail as I understand it goes cold.  Some think the Reel #1 was purchased at Auction when the film company who was known to have barrowed the film went bankrupt.  All of this is outlined by good people who have posted here on this thread.

I was proposing mostly that Al might have Reel #2 copy in full or in part.   There was a past poster on the BFF who had a wild story about he saw a video feed from some cell phone where a family spy was said to have snuck in to Al DeAtley's house study.  (Al was an In-Law of Roger Patterson).  There, it was said by the poster a Glass Case was there in the study.  Inside that glass case was a suit that looked like Patty.  The story further went the suit was played off as a replica but in reality it was THE Patty suit used in the film (<---under the hoax theory).  In my opinion and the opinion of others, this story fell apart in a hurry.  (For more on this go to the thread Kit's Patty Suit or words like it).

Since Al was involved in the early promotion of the film I think it is at least possible he has a copy or parts of a copy from Reel #2.  In additional all kinds of promotion materials and so on might be in some shoe box somewhere.  

Al died recently. Just before he died a knowledgeable poster actually contacted Al and had a conversation/ interview with him.  (For more on that see the thread about Al DeAtley here on the BFF).   The problem with contacting family members or players in this type of historical events come down to the best way to do it. Let's admit there are some real goofballs out there who would be crazy, impolite, or a bother to those they want to talk to.  It would be nice if a respectful and well credentialed person could interview Al.  This is what happened and the info is posted in the more recent thread here on the BFF.  I imagine Al had been contacted over the years by all kinds of goof balls and people who were not up to the task and he didn't wish to talk to them about it.  

Now that Al had died it is my understanding many things are going to be auctioned.  This is were there might be the opportunity for the right kind of person to contact the family and ask if there is any chance some bigfoot material exists from those 1960's bigfoot days?  We might find there are some film reels and even some promotional ads and things from the days of the early promotion of the PGF.  The film is what we all want.  Maybe he had some Reel #2 stuff.  Maybe there is some great mystery receipt in some box somewhere Dated 10/21/19 showing where the film was developed.  Ok, now I am really dreaming.

Who knows?

Edited by Backdoc
  • Upvote 1

Backdoc

(Oops, such a receipt would need to be October 1967 not 2019.   Sorry)