I'm kind of a gun guy and was curious if all you guys carry a firearm in the field

I've kinda been looking at that Rowland kit that Norseman got, too. Would be nice to have lots of money (sigh) for all the stuff I want. Oh well. One thing at a time. Next up, FLIR. 

• Like 1

Also been thinking about a Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag, but  I am left handed and I don't think revolvers are made for lefties. Strange I shoot a rifle right handed, but handguns leftie. Makes for strange sighting with a right eye dominance.

2 hours ago, NorthWind said:

I've kinda been looking at that Rowland kit that Norseman got, too. Would be nice to have lots of money (sigh) for all the stuff I want. Oh well. One thing at a time. Next up, FLIR. 

The good thing about that is at least it's not overly expensive  but I agree since you already have firearms night vision or thermal should be the next thing to purchase .

I went kind of cheap with mine and now I wish I had spent a little more to get something better . I bought a ATN  OTS

It's okay and the thermal works fine( got it on sale for $1600  but I wish I had spent another grand for something  better now after using a friends thermal .

Edited by 7.62
  • Upvote 1

Great thread, 7.62. I spent 30 years behind retail gunstore counters. This is dear to my heart.

When "in the field," a .45acp Colt 1911 stainless Commander, condition 1, on my hip.

These days I find my "field" more likely to be suburban. Since I was intricately familiar with a 1911, I most often carry the 9mm Sig 938, a smaller 1911 clone.

I also often opt for my S&W 638 .38 "humpback" snubbie.

Edit to add, licensed concealed carrier, in my state. Enjoying onset of cooler weather, generally carry heavier caliber as conditions allow.

Edited by Incorrigible1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Great thread, 7.62. I spent 30 years behind retail gunstore counters. This is dear to my heart.

When "in the field," a .45acp Colt 1911 stainless Commander, condition 1, on my hip.

These days I find my "field" more likely to be suburban. Since I was intricately familiar with a 1911, I most often carry the 9mm Sig 938, a smaller 1911 clone.

I also often opt for my S&W 638 .38 "humpback" snubbie.

Edit to add, licensed concealed carrier, in my state. Enjoying onset of cooler weather, generally carry heavier caliber as conditions allow.

I love the 1911 platform but I don't carry them that often even though I should . I have a SA operator ,  two Kimber series  1 when they first were released  both CDP's and a  Colt 1911 in carbona blue . I'm also what you could consider I guess an HK guy . I do own a lot of those models , the tactical , P7M8 , Mark 23 , USP's  and a  rifle

Edited by 7.62

I open carry a Glock 20 or a Ruger SRH in .454 Casull when out in the woods, but more recently i've been going exclusively with a Glock 20.

Edited by RedHawk454

In Alaska, my outdoors sidearm has evolved to the current Glock 20, and I love it. My rifle carry depends on the activity I'm doing. In open country when actively hunting, I carry a Tikka T-3 in 300 WinMag with Shepherd 3x10 scope. In forested terrain when actively hunting I might opt for the Browning Stainkess Stalker in 338 WinMag with 2x7 Burris Scout Scope. If not actively hunting, I might opt for the 450 Marlin with ghost ring sights.

In the lower 48, my outdoors carry might be a Glock 21, or a S&W M&P 9mm (loaded with Underwood ball or snake shot, depending on the time of year and precise location). My long gun carry might vary from the Remington 870 12 gauge, Marlin 336 30-30 16" barrel with ghost ring sights, customized Mini-14 with 2x7 Burris Scout Scope, or customized Mauser 30-06 with 2x7 Burris Scout Scope, depending on what I might be hunting for. The Lower 48 includes a myriad of carry laws. I've learned that a non-resident hunting license and wild pig tag legally justifies a rifle and sidearm in the trunk. It's cheap legal insurance.

Norseman

That's nice and all and it is well ported ,not bad. I have a few guns that I take with me when I go out into the field. It all depends on the day and the place I will be going to which gun I will be taking. The one gun I usually carry with me is my Kimber .45 but this is a single action and not good in case I need it in a emergency. So now I might carry a S&W .45 Shield striker which is a lot lighter and more concealable. My other good action gun that I like that has good penetration is my sig 2022 .40 cal double action. My next choice that I use which I mostly carry is my taurus .9 cal since it is so easy to handle and shoot and you can place your shots right on target.

My shotguns I only carry them when I go hunting and the same goes with my rifles. Also I have always wanted a lever action rifle and some time in the near future plan on buying a 45/70 gov. I have always wanted a nice brush gun and some of these big deer here in Michigan like to hide in this rough stuff.. Plus you never know if that big guy ever decides to make his move on me I just want to be well prepared since my legs are not that great at running. I sure as heck plan on holding my ground if it ever come down to that with these big guys. I would like to also pick up a Benelli M4 Tactical Semiautomatic Shotgun just to be on a safe side of things with these guys though. But I do not see my self as a gun guy. It is all self defense for me and that is all.

I carry a Gen 4 Glock 20 with an Olight Baldr Pro since my of my woods time is at night nowadays.  I keep a mixture of Underwood 140 grain Xtreme Penetrator and 200 grain hardcast rounds.

I will usually keep a long arm in the truck if I will be out for several nights.  

Well I'm pretty jealous of you American fellas who can carry pistols in the bush. No such luck for us subjugated Canadians - though there are RARE circumstances to be allowed to carry in the bush (some trappers, prospectors, etc.). Even New Hampshire has granted me permission to carry in their state (and other states with reciprocity agreements for non-resident license holders). I don't know if I'll ever travel to NH but it's still nice to have, just on principle.

I have several USGI 1911's but I'd probably buy a G20 SF for the bush. I love the idea of my AR-10 as the rifle option, just not the 11+ lbs it weighs. Usually just take an 870 with me, sometimes an 18.5" M1A.

• gigantor featured this topic
2 hours ago, langfordbc said:

Well I'm pretty jealous of you American fellas who can carry pistols in the bush. No such luck for us subjugated Canadians - though there are RARE circumstances to be allowed to carry in the bush (some trappers, prospectors, etc.). Even New Hampshire has granted me permission to carry in their state (and other states with reciprocity agreements for non-resident license holders). I don't know if I'll ever travel to NH but it's still nice to have, just on principle.

I have several USGI 1911's but I'd probably buy a G20 SF for the bush. I love the idea of my AR-10 as the rifle option, just not the 11+ lbs it weighs. Usually just take an 870 with me, sometimes an 18.5" M1A.

No worries.... how does 7.3 lbs sound?

Edited by norseman

10 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

Norseman

That's nice and all and it is well ported ,not bad. I have a few guns that I take with me when I go out into the field. It all depends on the day and the place I will be going to which gun I will be taking. The one gun I usually carry with me is my Kimber .45 but this is a single action and not good in case I need it in a emergency. So now I might carry a S&W .45 Shield striker which is a lot lighter and more concealable. My other good action gun that I like that has good penetration is my sig 2022 .40 cal double action. My next choice that I use which I mostly carry is my taurus .9 cal since it is so easy to handle and shoot and you can place your shots right on target.

My shotguns I only carry them when I go hunting and the same goes with my rifles. Also I have always wanted a lever action rifle and some time in the near future plan on buying a 45/70 gov. I have always wanted a nice brush gun and some of these big deer here in Michigan like to hide in this rough stuff.. Plus you never know if that big guy ever decides to make his move on me I just want to be well prepared since my legs are not that great at running. I sure as heck plan on holding my ground if it ever come down to that with these big guys. I would like to also pick up a Benelli M4 Tactical Semiautomatic Shotgun just to be on a safe side of things with these guys though. But I do not see my self as a gun guy. It is all self defense for me and that is all.

It takes some getting used to but they perfectly safe to carry in condition one if that's what you mean

• gigantor unfeatured this topic