I'm kind of a gun guy and was curious if all you guys carry a firearm in the field

Just now, 7.62 said:

It takes some getting used to but they perfectly safe to carry in condition one if that's what you mean

Absolutely this.

When I carried my Colt Officer's Model 1911 in the woods, it was always condition one.  Trust in the mechanics of the gun, do your part as far as obeying the rules of firearm safety, and you will be ok.

On 10/14/2019 at 2:21 PM, norseman said:

It’s the ticket for Bears, Bigfoot and T-Rex!

This is my T-Rex rifle :D Barrett 50 BMG

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

Edited by 7.62

52 minutes ago, 7.62 said:

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

If Trex is attacking the bunker your in? :D

7 hours ago, 7.62 said:

It takes some getting used to but they perfectly safe to carry in condition one if that's what you mean

I never chambered a round in the Kimber always want to be safe with it. Reason being always thinking that if a bigfoot would pop up on me might be a person in a suit so I wanted it have a chance for it to yell out to me and say stop. The same thing would be if I carried my shot gun and was looking for these creatures. I have always used these guns as a safety while in the field .

Your BMG looks great and must be hard to shoot since it carries distance as well as power. You could cut a person up pretty good with just one round so I can just imagine what it can do with one of these creatures. My shotguns have always been my backup if they ever got in close. Rifles are for those long distance and are worthless if they come rushing in on you and you have a bolt action. Very rare that I will carry my rifle.  I will not carry a M4 style rifle in the field since I have no need for the DNR asking me questions why I am doing so.  This why I will carry my certain pistols in certain areas with maybe two mags.

But I do love that BMG and it must have cost a lot and I am sure the ammo is not cheap either. I do have a G20 but I do not trust it since the slide stop lever w/spring keeps failing on me and locks the slide on every other shot. I bought as a used gun and it failed after around five hundred rounds.  

43 minutes ago, ShadowBorn said:

I never chambered a round in the Kimber always want to be safe with it. Reason being always thinking that if a bigfoot would pop up on me might be a person in a suit so I wanted it have a chance for it to yell out to me and say stop. The same thing would be if I carried my shot gun and was looking for these creatures. I have always used these guns as a safety while in the field .

Your BMG looks great and must be hard to shoot since it carries distance as well as power. You could cut a person up pretty good with just one round so I can just imagine what it can do with one of these creatures. My shotguns have always been my backup if they ever got in close. Rifles are for those long distance and are worthless if they come rushing in on you and you have a bolt action. Very rare that I will carry my rifle.  I will not carry a M4 style rifle in the field since I have no need for the DNR asking me questions why I am doing so.  This why I will carry my certain pistols in certain areas with maybe two mags.

But I do love that BMG and it must have cost a lot and I am sure the ammo is not cheap either. I do have a G20 but I do not trust it since the slide stop lever w/spring keeps failing on me and locks the slide on every other shot. I bought as a used gun and it failed after around five hundred rounds.  

Okay, when I posted my comment  I was thinking more of other animals not so much Bigfoot  ,Four  and Two legged  . I  understand your reasoning now when it comes to a Bigfoot . I also only carry  for self defense unless I'm out in the field hunting and no round is chambered in my rifle until I get in my stand or in my blind  but my sidearms which ever I have at the time  are always condition one .

You just never know . As to the .50 it is a hoot to shoot but no it's not a hard rifle to fire at all . The muzzle break takes most of the recoil and it's more of a long steady shove against your shoulder .I've owned shotguns before that had a more punishing recoil .

7 hours ago, norseman said:

At 28 pounds it's not  light but believe it or not with that drag bag I have pictured , it has shoulder straps and it doesn't feel that heavy if I had to hump this thing .  

But I'm glad I only hump it from my truck a few feet away to my firing range :lol:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, norseman said:

My ears are telling me they would hate to be in that bunker when that 50 BMG barked.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, 7.62 said:

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

Gun lust over here. That there is the ultimate. I wish I could afford one. The rifle and a basic supply of ammo is a $10K bill........at minimum.

I carried a 6 shot EAA 357 snub nose revolver for a while in defense of cougar and black bear but as I have moved to northern ID I have gotten a Glock 20 in 10MM 4rth gen,  with a 15 shot mag and FMJ bear loads it can deter a grizzly at close range.   

My wife got it for me as a birthday present about a week ago ( luckiest guy in the world, I know LOL ).

Edited by NathanFooter

Just now, NathanFooter said:

I carried a 6 shot EAA 357 snub nose revolver for a while in defense of cougar and black bear but as I have moved to northern ID I have gotten a Glock 20 in 10MM 4rth gen,  with a 15 shot mag and FMJ bear loads it can deter a grizzly at close range.   

What 10mm rounds are you using with your Glock?  I went the Underwood route as opposed to Buffalo Bore.

28 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

What 10mm rounds are you using with your Glock?  I went the Underwood route as opposed to Buffalo Bore.

I talked with several auto guys on recommended ammunition ( new to handguns, shot a few in my life but knowledge is minimal on ballistic performance ) and they do make loads with more weight but the standard gen 4 barrel is not intended to handle the powder charge or weight of the heavier bear loads available.    I plan on switching to the stronger barrels in the near future and then I likely will go heavier but the rounds I am going with now are the sig sauer 10MM, 180GR, Elite Ball, FMJ if memory serves correctly.   Link >>>  https://www.sigsauer.com/store/10mm-180gr-elite-ball-fmj.html

Just to add, I am aware that 180 gr is very lite and may actually not be enough but it is what I have to work with until I get the more beastly barrel, I will then be going with a more substantial ammunition. 

Edited by NathanFooter

1 hour ago, NathanFooter said:

I talked with several auto guys on recommended ammunition ( new to handguns, shot a few in my life but knowledge is minimal on ballistic performance ) and they do make loads with more weight but the standard gen 4 barrel is not intended to handle the powder charge or weight of the heavier bear loads available.    I plan on switching to the stronger barrels in the near future and then I likely will go heavier but the rounds I am going with now are the sig sauer 10MM, 180GR, Elite Ball, FMJ if memory serves correctly.   Link >>>  https://www.sigsauer.com/store/10mm-180gr-elite-ball-fmj.html

Just to add, I am aware that 180 gr is very lite and may actually not be enough but it is what I have to work with until I get the more beastly barrel, I will then be going with a more substantial ammunition. 

If you have a Gen 4 Glock 20, your stock barrel will be fine with hot factory loads like Underwood or Buffalo Bore.  You don't even have to switch out the recoil springs.  The Gen 4's dual captive spring will handle the hotter rounds.  Heck, you even shoot .40 caliber rounds out of the 20 without changing barrels.  

If you are going to be hand loading and going SUPER hot, you might want to look into an aftermarket barrel or spring.  Otherwise, the stock pistol will be fine.  

1 minute ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

If you have a Gen 4 Glock 20, your stock barrel will be fine with hot factory loads like Underwood or Buffalo Bore.  You don't even have to switch out the recoil springs.  The Gen 4's dual captive spring will handle the hotter rounds.  Heck, you even shoot .40 caliber rounds out of the 20 without changing barrels.  

If you are going to be hand loading and going SUPER hot, you might want to look into an aftermarket barrel or spring.  Otherwise, the stock pistol will be fine.  

Thanks for the information, I was told that the stock barrel and spring would be a tough run even in the Gen 4 ( they noted barrel flowering and cracks reported on gen 4 when running even about 200gr ), I will look further into it.   I was going to go ahead and jump on the lonewolf 6 inch barrel this spring.    

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Huntster said:

Gun lust over here. That there is the ultimate. I wish I could afford one. The rifle and a basic supply of ammo is a $10K bill........at minimum.

Much less than that , rifle plus my optic I'm into it for under 6 grand  now if you want to start buying cases of ammo , yeah it will start draining  your wallet

Slightly off topic but I just picked up my grandfather's Remington M12  (1913 by SN) pump action shotgun.  It seems to be in perfect working order.  Plan to put a few rounds threw in a couple of weekends.  Hope my surgically repaired shoulder is in order.  Probably has not been shot in 30+ years.  Any recommendations before I pull the trigger?

Not planned BF work.  But great for anti-boyfriend work for my daughters.

Edited by NCBFr

• gigantor unfeatured this topic