I'm kind of a gun guy and was curious if all you guys carry a firearm in the field

I have a cheap Tagua thumb break pancake hip holster for my Glock, but I never use it. I prefer bandolier holsters because they don't pull my pants down or help bunch my briefs down under my cheeks. I've always had a problem keeping my pants up, and now in my old age even suspenders don't seem to cut it when the elastic stretches out. Small frame handguns don't seem to be a problem in IWB holsters, but 25 oz guns seem to be the weight limit for that. 

I've been really happy with Man Gear bandoliers. I used one for my hog leg revolver for years and got one for my Glock a couple of years ago. Then I got one for another Glock I keep in the states, and it was redesigned. Smaller. Nice. It still held an extra magazine, too. Cheap, too. 

https://www.cabelas.com/product/MAN-GEAR-ALASKA-CHEST-HOLSTERS/1942820.uts?productVariantId=5269712&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04856929&rid=20&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1246555&ds_rl=1246558&ds_rl=1252245&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtrnuBRDXARIsABiN-7AV6Mwesp4KCoNoCfqIRi-XDTDJLdUVauZpgHS9pzHsm6FTNxE2WKsaAtwtEALw_wcB

2 minutes ago, Huntster said:

I have a cheap Tagua thumb break pancake hip holster for my Glock, but I never use it. I prefer bandolier holsters because they don't pull my pants down or help bunch my briefs down under my cheeks. I've always had a problem keeping my pants up, and now in my old age even suspenders don't seem to cut it when the elastic stretches out. Small frame handguns don't seem to be a problem in IWB holsters, but 25 oz guns seem to be the weight limit for that. 

I've been really happy with Man Gear bandoliers. I used one for my hog leg revolver for years and got one for my Glock a couple of years ago. Then I got one for another Glock I keep in the states, and it was redesigned. Smaller. Nice. It still held an extra magazine, too. Cheap, too. 

https://www.cabelas.com/product/MAN-GEAR-ALASKA-CHEST-HOLSTERS/1942820.uts?productVariantId=5269712&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04856929&rid=20&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1246555&ds_rl=1246558&ds_rl=1252245&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtrnuBRDXARIsABiN-7AV6Mwesp4KCoNoCfqIRi-XDTDJLdUVauZpgHS9pzHsm6FTNxE2WKsaAtwtEALw_wcB

I was looking at the Kenai chest holster.  Same concept.  Looks like a great piece of equipment.

Yes, they are very nice. 

Diamond D has a shop here in Wasilla, and a friend builds very nice leather and kydex holsters out of his home in Eagle River, but I've gotten away a lot cheaper wit Man Gear nylon and cheaper leather holsters online. I once won a competition with a cheap DeSantis thumb break. I just can't justify spending big bucks on a holster, although I'll admit I've ended up with a tote box full of cheap holsters I'll never use.......Uncle Mike types that were all one could find around here back in the old days.

I've got two Diamond D Kenai holsters, one for a 6-1/2" Ruger Bisley .454, the other for the 4-5/8" Super Blackhawk .44.    I also have 2 El Paso Saddlery 1942 "Tanker" holsters, one for the 4-5/8" super blackhawk, one for a S&W 329PD.      

I also have 2 older Uncle Mike's bandolier holsters, one for a scoped 7-1/2" barreled single action, another I made out of pieces of other Uncle Mike's holsters to carry the same gun w/ iron sights only.  

The Uncle Mike's holsters are functional and adequate but UM's has discontinued many of their earlier offerings and changed sources for cordura .. they aren't what they were.   Bianchi HuSH is pretty good, but not a lot of options for fit.   The El Paso Saddlery holsters are pretty darn nice.   However, the Diamond D holsters are truly a cut above .. and for $175 for a "plain" (unadorned, 100% functional) hunting holster, they darn well ought to be!

MIB

• 2 months later...

I don’t go out, but if I did I’d carry the Sig Sauer. I’m not so much concerned about a BF encounter going wrong as I am the most dangerous animal of all. That would be humans. I’m afraid of bears too, although the chances of running into a predatory black bear in the Ozarks is nil. 

IF I had a BF encounter I wouldn’t shoot unless my life was definitely threatened. For one I’d be paranoid it was a hoaxer fooling me, and I’d kill a (an exceptionally stupid) person. The thought of going to trial and testifying I thought it was a BF is just too humiliating to consider! Oh, and I don’t want to kill another person. That too. 

2 hours ago, Lam90 said:

I don’t go out, but if I did I’d carry the Sig Sauer. I’m not so much concerned about a BF encounter going wrong as I am the most dangerous animal of all. That would be humans. I’m afraid of bears too, although the chances of running into a predatory black bear in the Ozarks is nil. 

IF I had a BF encounter I wouldn’t shoot unless my life was definitely threatened. For one I’d be paranoid it was a hoaxer fooling me, and I’d kill a (an exceptionally stupid) person. The thought of going to trial and testifying I thought it was a BF is just too humiliating to consider! Oh, and I don’t want to kill another person. That too. 

Welcome to the forum 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I'll add my two cents.  Yes I carry a Sig .45 ACP.  Never know when you might need it.  Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.  My feeling is if that won't stop it, I'll just close my eyes and kiss my butt goodbye.  It would have to be a last resort deal though, as I am convinced these beings are a good part human.