Submitting A BF Sample To Science

hiflier

OK, so let's say someone finds a dead Sasquatch and wants to do the right thing. I'm under the impression that "doing the right thing" may not be possible. At leas in regards to not becoming entangled in a bureaucratic quagmire. For instance, the Fish And Wildlife forensic laboratory in Ashland, Oregon does not take in or test nything from the public. It will only accept something that came through Law Enforcement channels. Most people aren't even allowed to posses bird feathers of any kind. So what is a person to do if they find a dead Bigfoot or a skeleton?

One thing this presents is it completely negates the fact that anyone who claims to have a Bigfoot, or even a piece of one, is definitely hoaxing. So what happens when someone claims such a thing on the web such as in a YouTube video? Would Law Enforcement look at the video and just shrug or will they investigate the claim and the person behind it. The point being just how serious would any official take such a claim. The idea here being that if someone publicly says they have a BF specimen or part of one to any degree would an investigation be launched? Or would a "hands-off-don't ask-don't-tell policy" allow such a claim to be presented to the public unmolested?

Would that be the result that someone in an official capacity knows that there is no such creature as a Bigfoot? Trying to use some logical reasoning here. Thoughts?  

21 hours ago, hiflier said:

So what is a person to do if they find a dead Bigfoot or a skeleton?

Part of planning ahead for such a contingency could be knowing a LEO personally. Stands to reason since the F&W forensics lab in Ashland only accepts samples or specimens from Law Enforcement then Law Enforcement channels should be the way to go. NOT a  government agency and not some lab that will do secret testing. Unless the scientist in the lab is willing to turn the specimen over to Law Enforcement?

My thinking is that if a BF researcher had a dialogue ahead of time, say with a trusted game warden, then it could set the stage for an easier way to get a Sasquatch sample to a reputable lab without risking layers, jail time, thousands of dollars in legal fees and even eliminate the effort of getting a dead BF out of the woods by oneself. It may be the best chance for documenting the whole affair ahead of even calling in the game warden. I would think striking a deal up with a game warden.....OR a state biologist? to document not only the find but the extraction as well could be negotiated in exchange for telling them where the dead creature is.

I would think a biologist or a game warden would be so interested and amazed at the potential of being part of, or even responsible for, the discovery of the creature that they would jump at the chance. There may be a cover up but I really doubt an LEO or a biologist would ethically miss the opportunity for such an amazing find. There are many people here that know LEO's. And some of those LEO's may be eye rollers but I'm sure that if one says, "Look. I know you think BF is a myth but as a hypothetical, if I even come upon something that I can't identify (nyert, nyert!) Could I contact you for help to at least connect me to a game warden or state biologist?" My guess is they would probably say yes and maybe even respect you more for wanting to go through proper channels.

And they may say "yes" just to humor you because they don't think the creature is real and so are sure you'll never find anything......a safe agreement in their eyes. Now I know it means putting one's cards on the table but it just may be the safest and most secure approach rather than trying to sneak around any and all authorities in some grand cloak and dagger effort to expose the reality of a Bigfoot. doe anyone think any of this would be a huge mistake of some kind?      

Some questions to ask a biologist or game warden ahead of time:

- If I find one would you be interested in going out to see it?

- Would you do it first off the record to establish that it really is a Bigfoot?

- Would you immediately begin documenting the find?

- Would you take samples for testing and if so what samples would you take?

- Would you need to inform someone what the samples are in order to get them tested.

- If you would rather keep things official what would you do to assure that the find doesn't get hidden away?

- Would you allow me to be a part of the extraction process and allow me to document it?

- Do you fully understand what such a find would mean?

- Do you think the discovery will be allowed to go public?

- Would you include me in the discovery and inform me of the test results?

- What would happen should the test results come back Human?

Edited by hiflier

BFF Patron

Pardon me but do you have the reference stating that Fish and Wildlife lab in Ashland, OR only accepts samples from LEO's *if that is what you are saying* ?

The US Fish and Wildlife Service seemed receptive to the BF topic when Larry Battson did his West Virginia consultations/conferences. 

http://whitetigerfoundation.tripod.com/battson.htm

https://boingboing.net/2016/01/21/u-s-fish-and-wildlife-service.html

Edited by bipedalist

Mind you the policy as far as I know may only pertain to the Ashland, Oregon lab: https://www.fws.gov/lab/tour.php#faq6

"Can you identify my [feather/fur/ivory] item?  No.  We are only able to examine items that are submitted to the Laboratory through official law enforcement channels.  However, the Lab website offers a variety of identification information, at:  http://www.fws.gov/lab/idnotes.php.  For feathers specifically, the Feather Atlas of North American Birds, a website hosted by the Lab, provides high-resolution scans of the flight feathers of hundreds of bird species"

Edited by hiflier

2 hours ago, bipedalist said:

The US Fish and Wildlife Service seemed receptive to the BF topic when Larry Battson did his West Virginia consultations/conferences. 

http://whitetigerfoundation.tripod.com/battson.htm

I am digging way back into my grey matter, but I believe that Larry had a friend in Fish and Wildlife and that was the connection for publicity.   

BFF Patron

https://www.fs.fed.us/features/loss-space-threatening-north-american-sasquatch

Interesting find  (tongue in cheek)

1 hour ago, Catmandoo said:

I am digging way back into my grey matter, but I believe that Larry had a friend in Fish and Wildlife and that was the connection for publicity.   

I seem to remember that being the case.  I have an old cd/dvd of the presentation and an autographed poster as I remember which went to Battson's nonprofit.  

Edited by bipedalist

I suspect the F&G dept. was aware of Bigfoot even before the PGF was made & published.

If they weren't back then, the eruption of Mt. St. Helens will have woken them up.

No doubt, plenty of folks believe in Bigfoot & just go on about their business.

Just like Dr. Meldrum with his well over 1,000 footprint casts.

Just like "Finding Bigfoot" ... it was on for 10 years, right?  Plenty of people watched it

without getting terribly excited.

Bigfoot lives in the woods (mostly), & is far outnumbered by the bears & other wildlife.

I think  to the general Public, Bigfoot is now passé.  (yawn)

Perhaps, it is because many people enjoy mysteries and the possibility of such creatures  knowing in their hearts and minds that 

the creatures simply do not exist in the here and now.  They are nothing more than campfire stories, wishful thinking, misidentifications ,imagination and of course 

lies. 

Good. Then maybe you would like to explain this campfire story, misidentification, wishful thinking, imagination.......or lie?

531478924_Nest3.png.cdefeaff808758bbcbda3872f7b51269.png

1329699503_Nest5.png.7d47ec6dd86efe036c49b1e12988e30a.png

2075352635_Nest2.jpg.153305d7f50bde386fb35cca019b4cc5.jpg

1066010852_Nest1.jpg.d976e727ae5f185a67414b01ee7c1c31.jpg

1292292606_Nest4.thumb.png.ab1c69cae7a0d91d16a5202ba1c9c1b8.png

7 hours ago, Oonjerah said:

I think  to the general Public, Bigfoot is now passé.  (yawn)

Maybe someone should tell the folks that make or sell this?

120908439_MultiTool.png.c0375aa80509356fb8345a77202d3af9.png

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Good. Then maybe you would like to explain this campfire story, misidentification, wishful thinking, imagination.......or lie?

531478924_Nest3.png.cdefeaff808758bbcbda3872f7b51269.png

1329699503_Nest5.png.7d47ec6dd86efe036c49b1e12988e30a.png

2075352635_Nest2.jpg.153305d7f50bde386fb35cca019b4cc5.jpg

1066010852_Nest1.jpg.d976e727ae5f185a67414b01ee7c1c31.jpg

1292292606_Nest4.thumb.png.ab1c69cae7a0d91d16a5202ba1c9c1b8.png

Maybe someone should tell the folks that make or sell this?

120908439_MultiTool.png.c0375aa80509356fb8345a77202d3af9.png

Maybe these are Thunderbird nests?

Minus all the feathers.

• Like 1

Sounds as plausible as large man apes. :D

More likely human. 

Edited by Patterson-Gimlin

16 minutes ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Sounds as plausible as large man apes. :D

More likely human.

How about writing a scenario or two that would explain Humans making the nests by breaking of huckleberry shoots up to an inch and a half in diameter? About twelve hundred square yards of huckleberry shoots. Located miles behind locked gates in a remote virtually impenetrable area of woods. I'd be interested in reading whatever you come up with. I think an explanation that would make sense might be welcomed by most. 

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Trying to use the Fish and Wildlife Lab in Ashland sounds like a bad idea to me.     You loose total control of the sample when you give it to a Federal government agency with no accountability to the general public.     I think a better route if you feel like you are close to getting something bigfoot is look for some academic biologist or paleontologist in your own state (or the state of discovery) who is willing to examine what you have acquired.   In state avoids turf battles over the discovery.   Expect the academic to take credit for the discovery if you don't have a PHD behind your name.   Try not to make the discovery on federal land.    That opens up numerous cans of worms that puts you at a disadvantage legally.    Have witnesses to the evidence.     More the better in case some government agency shows up to take the discovery off your hands.   If you can, in the case of bones,   separate the samples so you have two sets of evidence.    One you present and one no one knows about hidden away from your own property.   If the Feds want something they show up with search warrants.    

Edited by SWWASAS

On 10/25/2019 at 8:43 AM, hiflier said:

Mind you the policy as far as I know may only pertain to the Ashland, Oregon lab: https://www.fws.gov/lab/tour.php#faq6

Maybe it's for budget reasons. They don't want the overhead of people bringing in random animals  to check for rabies and whatever else.  Typically, if there is some legit reason to engage in testing that comes from some directive inside an organization . 

As for the larger question, why there is no process for BF or cryptid testing in general, it's because a valid reason to have such a policy hasn't occurred yet. Why would they set up a process for whoever to show up requesting such a thing?  No one, anywhere, except you and others who spend a great deal of time pondering such things, finds it surprising that no one bothers to think it is an important policy to have.