BF In WV

VAfooter

Admin

Yesterday, took my wife on a trip over to WV for the fall colors. We do a trip every year as sort of a birthday present for her as her birthday is 1 November. Most of the time we go up Skyline Drive in SNP, but the leaves there are still pretty green up there. Thus the run over to WV. Took RT 33 out of Harrisonbug over to the state line. Really nice scenery along the way, and luckily the leaves were beautiful along way. Made it all the way up to Seneca Rocks. We got there around 20-30 minutes before closing. What I found somewhat surprising in the visitors center was that they had several BF items for sale (currently 20% off since it is the end of the season...). They had a couple of BF stickers for you vehicle, a BF necklace, and the BF Field Guide by Meldrum. As I said, I was pretty surprised that National Forest Service would have these things in their gift shop since they do not officially recognize the existence of said creature. On the way back, we stopped at the general store in Brandywine. Again, I was surprised when I found that they had (among a large selection of other signs as well) three BF signs made to resemble road signs. Each showed a different silhouette of BF, along with a caption. The three captions were, "Do not feed the Sasquatch", "Hide and Seek World Champion", and my favorite, "Don't stop believing".  I thought all the BF stuff was pretty interesting since this was not the PNW and WV is not really known (at least like the west coast) as a BF haven. But Pendleton County has the most number of reports as listed on the BFRO, and Randolph County, just next door, has the second most. Never expected to see all the BF stuff in WV.

As a bonus, when you travel from Harrisonburg to WV, you go through Rockingham County, which has the most number of reports (BFRO) in VA. We took an unplanned side trip to Switzer Lake which is right before the state line. Unbeknownst to me at the time, there have been a couple of incidents at the lake and the general area has had several others. I do wish I had known that at the time. Oh well.... I am thinking that I might get my son to go with me back there for a weekend camping trip at some point. The area is very remote, heavily wooded, and non populated.

• Upvote 3

Admin
14 minutes ago, VAfooter said:

I am thinking that I might get my son to go with me back there for a weekend camping trip at some point.

If you're willing to drive another 50 miles North West of there (to Elkins WV), you can join WVFooter, Mrs gigantor and I in our research area.  It would be fun.

• Upvote 2

Admin
1 hour ago, Catmandoo said:

Do you have to know any John Denver songs about West Virginia to tag along...

Not at all. You're welcome to go with us. It's be great!

Admin
9 hours ago, gigantor said:

If you're willing to drive another 50 miles North West of there (to Elkins WV), you can join WVFooter, Mrs gigantor and I in our research area.  It would be fun.

Thanks for the offer! I have given it thought in the past, but right now I do not have the time due to other obligations. I am hoping for some changes next year, but it is only a slight possibility. However, I would love to be involved and see what yall are up to over there if I get the chance.

Admin

Have not been down there along the Parkway, good info to have when I do get down there. Unfortunately, we arrived too late for me to look at their visitors log. Sometimes you can find interesting stuff in them. A few years ago, while at the visitors center at Big Meadow, on Skyline Drive in SNP, I found one that stated the witness saw Bigfoot at mile marker such and such a few days before. I have no idea if they were just trying to be funny or telling the truth, but I thought it neat nonetheless. Also, if you have can get access to the archives, I understand that cabin/hut logs from the AT can contain references to BF as well.

1 hour ago, VAfooter said:

A few years ago, while at the visitors center at Big Meadow, on Skyline Drive

I was at Big Meadow a year ago last Spring and was at a counter in one of the gift centers. There was a 70's something guy with his wife in front of me trying to tell the guy (ranger uniform?) about a mountain lion that he and his wife saw crossing Skyline Drive and jumping over a wall. They got the usual response.......no evidence of them in the area. Didn't matter that the elderly man stood his ground and was insistent in describing what he saw. Ah well.......

Edited by hiflier

BFF Patron
5 minutes ago, hiflier said:

I was at Big Meadow a year ago last Spring and was at a counter in one of the gift centers. There was a 70's something guy with his wife in front of me trying to tell the guy (ranger uniform?) about a mountain lion that he and his wife saw crossing Skyline Drive and jumping over a wall. They got the usual response.......no evidence of them in the area. Didn't matter that the elderly man stood his ground and was insistent in describing what he saw. Ah well.......

Reminds me of the "Wizard of Oz"   Pay no attention to that mountain lion that jumped over the wall. 

• Haha 1

Admin

Yes, I have noticed that Rangers (for the most part), follow the party line to the nth degree. I am guessing that if they do not, then they will soon be needing to find other employment opportunities. While I have not seen any mountain lions, it would not surprise me at all to find out they are around. Western VA is very rural and forested. No reason that I can see that a few might have migrated over there during the past few years. Then it is not a stretch to see one making its way eastward until it got to the SNP. Mountain lions in VA would certainly be the exception, but I am not going to rule them out.

There were BF in WV in the 40s/50s as I have a family encounter told to me by my grandmother. Very up close and personal told to her by her Dad.

1 hour ago, WSA said:

Yep... saw a lion in Loudon Cty Va in ‘87. They are there alright. 

Also have 4 family members who saw black lions on two different occasions (2 ppl each sighting).

Also a UFO and ghost thing....now that I type that out, maybe my family is full of shit?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

VA footer. Thanks for sharing. That was very interesting. By the way, there is all kinds of bigfoots and cryptids in that area. I saw them on Mountain Monsters. :rolleyes:

NatFoot. They are fine. I have seen UFO'S in the late seventies. UFO'S ,Black lions and ghosts are no more unlikely than large man apes roaming all over the world escaping wild fires in California

and earthquakes in   Nepal.

15 minutes ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

VA footer. Thanks for sharing. That was very interesting. By the way, there is all kinds of bigfoots and cryptids in that area. I saw them on Mountain Monsters. :rolleyes:

NatFoot. They are fine. I have seen UFO'S in the late seventies. UFO'S ,Black lions and ghosts are no more unlikely than large man apes roaming all over the world escaping wild fires in California

and earthquakes in   Nepal.

Say what you will but I get a kick out of watching Mountain Monsters :D