Missing 411

OhioSquatch

Admin
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 1:25 PM, MIB said:

That is the Larry Kelm account.   It's from your general area.  Link!  Dunno if it was bigfoot.  The bit about the nails looking clean and almost manicured .. maybe not.

MIB

There is also the account just outside of LA (if I remember correctly) where a woman saw a portal open and two BF through it. I will have to find the account later. Also, somewhere on the forum are a couple of older threads on portals (I will have to see if I can find them later as well...).

While I do not necessarily believe in portals (as commonly describe), I do think that there might be something to it. Interesting reading to say the least (and somewhat terrifying as well)!

• Upvote 1

On 11/10/2019 at 8:28 PM, RedHawk454 said:

Apparently.... apparently... in the 80’s a ginseng poacher found a 6 year old boys skeleton kinda sort of near where Dennis Martin went missing...

it could still be the work of a Sasquatch th there’s a chance it is t Dennis Martin either.

Never heard of this before but it makes me wonder.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, OhioSquatch said:

Never heard of this before but it makes me wonder.

honestly im 50/50 on Paulides.  and trust me, I'm an advocate and a beliver of Sasquatch

my problem with paulides is he comes across as a profit agent.  why?  Because he NEVER gives his opinion on what may be causing it.  He will allude to certain things, but he will never give his opinion as to what it is, even after 7 years!

you can read the scathing review on his M411, which prompted a response from him.  Its  a long read.  The martin case is underlined 

"These are nothing more than an interesting collection of missing persons and David Paulides is CLEARLY trying to attribute the disappearances to Bigfoot. He's a big time BIGFOOT "researcher" and he's constantly and subtly implicating Bigfoot in the cases. His claim of "offering no theories" is a smokescreen.

In real research, scientists need to disclose their conflicts of interest to their overseeing agencies, because those things make a difference to conclusions. Study design and methodology is important when you want your analysis of anything to be taken seriously at all. Data does not exist in a vacuum but needs to be contextualized by how it was gathered and who analyzed it (that's another reason why, in real research, researches look for Intercoder reliability to judge that the researchers have minimized bias errors through consensus).

Data is not judged purely on its merits, it's judged on the merits of the atmosphere in which it was collected and processed. The fact that Dave Paulides is obsessed with all things Bigfoot is hugely relevant to how he has interpreted his data.

Dave would also have his audience believe that the United States Park Service is engaging in a vast cover up of biblical proportions regarding records and tracking data of missing people. The Park Service does keep records; it's just that they won't release them to HIM. Michael P. Ghiglieri and Charles R. Farabee co-wrote "OFF THE WALL, DEATH IN YOSEMITE outlining some 1300 cases of deaths, disappearances and other mishaps during that parks' existence. These accounts were gathered by utilizing coroner repots, superintendent reports and Freedom of information requests.

To articulate that the park service doesn't keep records is disingenuous and an outright LIE. A more accurate description would be that the Park Service won't give them to him. Perhaps it's because of his shady past and his known associations with all things Bigfoot.

Cherry picked reports cobbled together by Paulides who is woefully ill-informed and ignorant of modern search and rescue techniques along with the effects of hypothermia that spews purposely deceitful garbage.

Missing 411 Eastern and Western editions are the new books out by David Paul Paulides. These recent works follow on the heels of "Tribal Bigfoot" and the "The Hoopa Project". These books are specifically about Bigfoot. According to Paulides, he embarked on a 3 year and 7000 man-hour quest to uncover missing people in the national parks. He filled numerous Freedom of Information Act Requests and "documents to support the stories in these books were found through exhaustive searches of various periodicals' archives". The Author became interested in the subject of missing persons when, "There was a point in my law enforcement career when I worked as a detective attached to a special team investigating high profile cases. One of the cases we participated in was a series of missing girls from California".

Paulides has a prestigious 20 year background in law enforcement as a detective and investigator that enables him to gather facts and interview witnesses to get to the facts of the case. On his NABS Blog #91 he states in part, "he chose to retire after twenty years, and no one in his group lies". The reality and truth of the matter is far stranger than anyone could imagine. David Paul Paulides was an Officer with the San Jose Police Department until 1996. He was charged and indicted for a misdemeanor crime that involved falsely obtaining autographs while fraudulently misrepresenting his position within the police department. His tenure fell short of the requisite 20 years required to retire and he was forced to leave with only 16.5 years. His last duty assignment was in the Court Liaison Office. Most likely he left voluntarily in lieu of being prosecuted and given an option to quit. On an ancillary note with this background I am curious as to what Senior Executive Position he has or had held in the Technology Sector. From what I can discern the North American Bigfoot Search is Mr. Paulides. Furthermore, Paulides has never been on a Search and Rescue team, or participated in any organized SAR. This book is a discredit and a slap in the face to those men and women that are.

SOURCE(S):
* San Jose Mercury News
* 2011 SJ Police and Fire Retirement Boards' vote to award David Paul Paulides a Deferred Vesting for 16.5
years as a Police Officer.

Paulides' missing 411 is a continuation of his earlier two works. They are repackaged with a new twist in his search for this elusive creature. He doesn't come out and state it emphatically, but these editions are nothing more than his belief that Bigfoot is taking people in the woods, across the county. Anyone with a general comprehension of the English language can establish this nexus, if you think otherwise I suggest a remedial class in reading comprehension. He also builds you up with his prestigious law enforcement career and his over inflated and exaggerated investigative skills in order for you to buy into his mythic self portrayals that are stratospheric in nature. Paulides is so blatantly agenda driven is a proven liar, a fraud and is only out to promote his website and sell books. To that end the "facts" as he presents them are seriously questionable and under the surface are not really facts at all, just his cherry picking articles in an attempt to shoehorn, his ideas to fit his theory.
The clusters that the Paulides describes are vague and general and he attributes them as unique factors, these factors are:

* Rural settings
* Dogs
* Bloodhounds/ Canines can't track scent
* Disabled/ Impaired
* Fever
* Conscious Semi Conscience
* Kidnapping,
* Afternoon Disappearances
* Swamps and Briar Patches
* Berries
* Clothing removed
* Missing found in areas previously searched

These last two factors are interesting due to Paulides' outright refusal to acknowledge paradoxical undressing as well as terminal burrowing, which are both related to Hypothermia. He is so dreadfully ill-informed relative to both of these factors that they could account for a MAJORITY of the cases outlined in "Missing 411" I agree that there are a handful of cases that fall into the unexplainable, or victims of a crime category, but these cases are a small handful of the cases Paulides paints. I consider the stories that were previously written about in other credible works that he coopted and reprinted in this category. Furthermore, they would not have filled one book let alone two. The vast majority of the cases in Missing 411 are not bizarre or mysterious as Paulides would have you believe; rather they follow the general conventions of a lost person, especially if those people are suffering from the effects of hypothermia. The conspicuous denial of these factors enables Paulides to shoehorn his ideas into a serious flawed theory!

I was initially interested in this book after he was interviewed by George Knapp on Coast to Coast AM. I was hesitant at first, due to some of his other controversial views on other topics, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt based on his dialog in the interview. After reading the Western Edition, I obtained a copy of the Eastern edition. In the Eastern edition Paulides wrote about two children in Maryland. They were Eldridge Albright who went missing from Woodstock Maryland in 1941, and Otis T. Mason who went missing in 1949 from Colesville Maryland. These cases were placed with Pennsylvania because of its close proximity to other cases. This was the first of many contradictions as well as the first of many facts that weren't thoroughly checked. Woodstock Maryland is approximately 67 miles from the PA State line and Colesville Maryland is approximately 70 miles. Both are nowhere near PA or any case near there. Is this an instance of shoehorning a case to fit the theory? Conversely, if he physically investigated these locations, how could he not realize they were anything but near to Pennsylvania?

* SOURCE: ADC map company

Missing 411 lacks serious fact checking, contains misrepresentations of data, contradictions, and makes assumptions and draws outlandish conclusions through the use of cherry-picking facts from news articles. some of the cases contain all of these elements. This leads the reader attempting to distinguish the facts over fiction. I completely discount adults in both of his books, as they go missing all the time and why is only known to them. I was familiar with a few of the disappearances in the book. These include the Martin case in Tennessee, along with the Jay Toney case as an example of Paulides' flawed investigative methodology and model. I was also familiar with the Jamison's in Oklahoma, and the Michelle Vanek case in Colorado. I was somewhat familiar with the Thomas Bowman and Bruce Kerman cases in California. The Brennan Hawkins disappearance I looked into while scrutinizing the Vanek case in Colorado. I tried to be brief and where I could, noted sources for my claims. Paulides did source some of his cases, but that was the exception and not the rule. He also didn't annotate how he came by the information he presented, just the generalization of news reports, FOIA and interviews. I do find it noteworthy that Paulides went out of his way to tell me that he "put feet on the ground" and investigated all of these cases

The Martin case was disturbing on all levels. I am not diminishing the loss to the family of Dennis in anyway! Paulides failed to mention certain aspects of the case that misrepresents the data that is noteworthy and germane to the possible explanation as to his disappearance. I am not advocating that this is what happened; however, failing to mention this is a detraction that would give the reader the full picture, rather than the picture Paulides is trying to paint.

There were and still are old abandoned mines in this area. Prior to the parks opening mines were operated illegally a century ago. Paulides however in no uncertain and absolute terms informed me that ALL the mines were closed years prior to the Martin Case! The mine issue was brought to my attention by a geologist years ago. I don't recall him (Paulides) mentioning the mine issue in his narrative. I find this lack of inclusion distressing for a few reasons. If Paulides "put feet on the ground" and "investigated" this fact would have manifested. Secondly, if he did investigate this and failed to include it in his narrative then it goes to manipulating the data in an effort to shoehorn this case to make it part of his cluster. I am sure that the Tennessee department of mines did a great job of sealing the mines they knew of, but to absolutely state that ALL were closed is presumptuous at best and asinine at worse! A cursory search of the key words mines, Smoky National park resulted in quite a few results.

Secondly Dennis was a special needs child. To that end he could have hidden from searchers and succumbed to hypothermia or fallen into a shaft along with the other speculations as to what happened to him. I did find a news article on line that related a hunter who had found bones years after the Martin disappearance. Paulides was quick to remind me not to believe everything you read on the internet. I agree. This statement shows the level of contradiction and hypocrisy on his part by the assertion that the "documents he used to support the stories in these books were found through exhaustive searches of various periodicals' archives". So are we to believe that Paulides used a different source, from a different internet perhaps?

Another perplexing issue was Dwight's McCarters statement that there were wild men who lived in the park and were known to commit crimes. I found the lack of follow up investigation by Paulides as to what Ranger McCarter meant was seriously lacking any integrity or journalistic credibility, for example, did the park service attempt to go after these "wild men", and why were they allowed to remain in the park committing crimes? Then again this might have been a case of never stepping foot in the park or actually speaking with anyone. I have no idea what happened to Dennis, however, if left to the Author he would have you believe that there was only one explanation. On an ancillary note, if Missing 411 is truly about missing people I find it disingenuous that they are sold from Paulides' North American Bigfoot Search website and not his CamAm site.

SOURCE(S)

* Great Smoky Mountains National Park Geologic Resource Evaluation Report 2008
* March 20 2012 article on CBS News online.
* Article by Jim Balloch of the Knownews.com dated June 2009

Jay Toney was a diabetic who went missing in the Smokies and was found a day later 8 miles from where he was last seen. He was found on a bank near a creek wearing only a tank top and one shoe. He was eventually transported to a hospital, received medical attention and survived. Toney was quoted in the book that he wanted out of the Smokies! I found a few articles regarding Jay Toney. One wrote about him wearing pants contrary to what Paulides writes, the other didn't stipulate. BOTH articles quote Jay as being found at the same distance, 4 miles from where he was last observed.

According to Sarasota Harold Tribune article Jay was found by tracking dogs and handlers. They found a footprint near the stream and tracked the youth 4 miles in rugged territory until they saw a tennis shoe and a flattened spot in the grass. The article goes on to state that they had to transport him 8 Miles to Elkmont Campground then to park headquarters where he could be taken by helicopter to a hospital.

Paulides cherry picked this case as well, using both articles, choosing which facts to add for sensationalism. It's quite clear that he used the 8 miles it took to transport Jay as a linear distance he was found, not the 4 miles as reported; this is just utterly inconceivable and outright disingenuous! How can someone who claims they spent over 7000 hours investigating cases miss this? I don't think he missed it at all; he used what was good and cobbled the rest to make you think this was part of a cluster. There was nothing sinister or mysterious about Jay's disappearance. He became disoriented, lost his bearing and became lost, due to his weakened condition and lack of insulin, just exasperated the situation.

SOURCE(S):

* Sarasota Harold-Tribune May 28, 1982
* Ocala Star Banner Article 5B dated May 28, 1982

The Jamison case that he writes about is nothing more than purposely deceitful sensationalism augmented by cherry picking facts. There are many references to this disappearance throughout the internet. The Science channel's news program "Investigation ID" produced a documentary named "Paradise Lost" that showcased this families' mysterious disappearance. Paulides relates pertinent facts wrong and leaves out a whole host of others that could go to explaining what could have possibly happened. Paulides asserts as fact:

* 32,000 dollars was found under the front seat.
* Family dog was in the left inside the shell of their truck
* Picture of the daughter was found on a camera.
* No cell phone reception in the area
* Family was with a realtor looking at property.

What Paulides either missed or refused to print were the following facts, as outlined by Deputy Sheriff Israel Beauchamp on the Investigation ID documentary.

* 32,000 dollars was found under the back seat, hidden under a tool box.
* Family dog was inside the truck. It was a GMC with four doors, with an open bed.
* Picture of the daughter was found on a cell phone.
* Numerous calls were placed the day they disappeared.
* They met with a realtor the previous day, for GPS coordinates to the land.

Facts pertinent to the case that were cherry picked by Paulides as reported by Sheriff Beauchamp are as follows:

* 32,000 dollars was part of an accident settlement. The total was 100,000.00
* Sherilyn forced a live-in handy man off the property at gun point after he made threatening comments to Sherilyn
* The Handy-man was a white supremacist.
* Bobbie Jr. wasn't working due to a car accident.
* Jamison's installed a video surveillance system at their home for protection.
* Bobbie filed a suit against his Father over an agreement they had regarding a gas station the Bobbie Jr. worked at (for no wages).
* Sherilyn had a son that went to live with his Biological Father, taking any child support with him.
* Deputy Sheriff Beauchamp asserted that Bobbie and Sherilyn were living above their means
* Both Bobbie and Sherilyn were acting strange weeks before. They were seeing sprits and asking what kinds of bullets could kill them.
* Deputy Sheriff Beauchamp watched the surveillance video and related that for 20 minutes they made numerous trips back and forth to the truck not carrying anything. The only thing he saw was a brown satchel bag that was never recovered from the truck
* Deputy Sheriff Beauchamp was under the impression based on the video and the 20 minutes of erratic aimless walking back and forth, they were under the influence of drugs.

There are a number of potential explanations as to their disappearance, other than the one Paulides points towards.

I can reasonably say that properties that contain wells, abandoned or otherwise, generally are owned by the oil and gas companies that placed them there. Any sales of the land if at all would be a paperwork fiasco that would include EPA impact statements, title searches and other legal wrangling that wouldn't be conducted in a day and certainly not in cash. The same issue would go for a private sale of any properties that contained hydrocarbon bearing wells. Additionally, this meeting was arranged through Craigslist, and it was a known fact that both the Jamison's carried large sums of cash. I don't think it would be a stretch to infer that the Jamison's could have been the victims of a robbery scenario.

If Paulides conducted legitimate research on this case he would have uncovered the fact that both Bobbie and Sherilyn were unemployed, and living well above their means, and according to Israel Beauchamp "scammers". Who's to say that the handy man who was forced off the property at gun point didn't arrange for this meeting? He certainly knew of the LARGE settlement they received, and had a motive. It doesn't require a mystical imagination to potentially say that this could have been a scenario. Maybe they were lured there only to be taken to another location, relieved of their money and their lives and the truck taken back to the spot it was found. The brown satchel that was observed being placed in the truck the day they left was NEVER recovered. Could it have contained money and the remainder hidden under the back seat never found until they turned up missing?

I certainly don't know what happened to them and I find it absurd to say simply that they were abducted, the inference by the author is that were abducted by Bigfoot! That's simply incredible! How many Bigfoot's did it take, David?

It's also absurd that Paulides' spent three years that totaled some 7,000 hours of research and couldn't competently search or make the potential connections I have. How does someone legitimately research and fail to gather all the information that shows up for a case with a high profile such as this?

Finally, where did Paulides acquire the information he reported? The Latimer county Sheriff's office is the point of contact for this case. This is not a federal agency and as such is not subject to the FOIA. If he "put feet on the ground" who did he talk to, and how did he misrepresent the information presented in the documentary and ALL the information (which is consistent) available on line? Did he get it right and intentionally mislead the reader as to shoehorn this case as well, cherry picking facts to make his idea fit the theory?

SOURCE(S):

* Investigation ID documentary "Paradise lost"
* Google search subject and tag line Jamison, Missing in Oklahoma.

Michelle Vanek disappeared in Colorado and according to Paulides "something catastrophic happened to Michelle Vanek that no one could have probably survived"! This is another case that differs from his "various periodicals' archives" claim. Paulides in no uncertain terms informed me in earlier review that "you can't believe everything you read on the internet". This comment was made pursuant to the information in the Martin case. I agree, but I am curious, did that apply to him as well? I am interested to know just what kind of catastrophe happened to her!

Paulides states as fact in the Vanek case:

* Both brought warm clothes, food and water
* Michelle brought a back pack and ski poles.

However as in the cases before the facts are not exactly as they appear. Here are the facts as outlined in a periodical I located.

* Michelle was wearing a light jacket, hat, gloves and black stretch pants.
* Michelle carried a Camel-back water pack.
* Eric Sawyer her hiking partner left his lunch and water purifier in the car.

Further down in the story the article mentions a mysterious hiker who initially hid behind a tree and ran away from searchers. He outright refused to answer questions He was later identified and released and was not presumed to be involved in Vanek's disappearance. The article goes on to state that a squatter was also in the vicinity but wasn't willing to even get out of their tent when questioned by searchers. There was no indication that the squatter and the hiker were one in the same. Eric Sawyer was also questioned and when specifically asked about any involvement on his part he refused to answer any more questions without an attorney present. These facts don't necessarily contribute or point in any direction; however, omitting them does change the dynamic of the narrative. If Paulides has "put feet on the ground" in all theses cases, why in this narrative does he state that he has seen many photos of the mountain. This indicates to me that he never ventured past his computer screen on this one!
I would also like to know just what kind of catastrophic event happened to Michelle Vanek. Does the Arthur know something the rest of us don't? Was he privy to information not reported in the media? This statement is nothing more than sensationalism in order for him to shoehorn a disappearance, to fit his theory. This case is also an example of a case that was cherry picked, lacked serious fact checking, contained misrepresentations of data, contradictions, and makes assumptions and draws outlandish conclusions.

SOURCE(S):

* Trib.com article dated Tuesday, December 6, 2005

The Thomas Bowman and Bruce Kerman disappearances are included in this book without the inclusion by Paulides that both are presumed the victims of the serial killer Mack Ray Edwards. In the Bowman case, Weston DeWalt and Kenneth Todd Ruiz wrote about their disappearances and possible abduction by Edwards in 2008 and 2007 respectively. Furthermore in the Ruiz article, the Pasadena Police went on record that they are giving serious consideration to DeWalt's suspicions that Edwards might also have killed Bruce Kremen in Angeles National Forest. These articles were written and published 4 and 5 years, respectively before Paulides wrote Missing 411, another fine example of cherry picking.

Mr. Paulides were you ever taught as a Police Officer that "a lie by omission is the same as a lie by commission"?

SOURCE(S):

* LA Weekly Interview of Weston Dewalt by Christine Pelisek Monday, Oct 6 2008
* Pasadena Star News: March 19, 2007 "Trail started with Tommy" by Kenneth Todd Ruiz
* Wikipedia :Mack Ray Edwards

Brennan Hawkins is another example of Paulides utilizing misrepresentation and sensationalism for inclusion into his book by "changing-the-facts-to-make-them-fit" so I can sell books standing operating procedure. Paulides in usual form details the case and clearly finds the Hawkins disappearance to be mysterious. Paulides states, "The thousands of newspaper articles I have read in the last several years have shown me that law enforcement and the press try to twist the facts at times to fit the story they want to place in front of the public. I've seen this too many times. He goes on, "I believe there are more details to this story that need explanation". "Brennan's disappearance mimics many I have researched I think it is incredibly important for searchers to interview the lost after they are found. We need to understand human behavior of all ages and socioeconomic backgrounds".

There is absolutely nothing mysterious about his disappearance, or being found. I Goggled Brennan Hawkins and the first return was an article from PEOPLE Magazine dated July 11, 2005 that recounts in Brennan's own words what happened to him.

According to Brennan, "His biggest fear was being abducted, so when he spotted rescuers on horseback, he stayed hidden". I find this fascinating, as this seems to be a re-occurring theme throughout this book. So could this be normal behavior when lost, hiding form rescuers, and then reappearing later in the same area that was previously searched? Or in a worse case scenario, hiding then succumbing to hypothermia and dying, never to be found or found years later by happenstance? Behavior like this doesn't strike me as mysterious or sinister. The article goes on for a more detailed account of what happened and guess what? He became lost amidst hundreds of other Boy Scout's and he wasn't abducted, or taken by anyone, but Paulides would have you think otherwise!

SOURCE:

* Google search of Brennan Hawkins; People magazine July 11, 2005.

Paulides dismissed outright in his on air interview with George Knapp on Coast to Coast AM, of people taking their clothes off. Contrary to Paulides and his inexperience as a Search and Rescue professional, in advance cases of Hypothermia people do take articles of clothing off. Many of the cases where clothes were removed can be attributed to this. This phenomenon is described as paradoxical undressing. In other words, when hypothermia sets in, your skin feels as if it is on fire. This combined with an altered state of mind is the reason why people in advanced stages of hypothermia, take their clothes off. You think you're hot when obviously not. Compounding this is "terminal burrowing." People tend to take their clothes off and hide. It's also called hide and die. This may seem counter-intuitive as a number of people in the woods do exactly that. It is not uncommon for people to take their clothes off and hide just before they die of hypothermia.

SOURCE(S):

* Indian Internet Journal of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology, 2010, Volume : 8, Issue 4
* Rothschild MA, Mülling C, Luzar (2004) lethal hypothermia: The phenomena of paradoxical undressing and hide and die syndrome.
* New Scientist Health Magazine, issue April 2007: The word Paradoxical Undressing

These books amount to nothing more than grossly negligent and irresponsible journalism that borders on fear mongering in order to sell copy. Paulides is woefully ill-informed and ignorant of modern search and rescue techniques and as a result is spewing purposely deceitful garbage. This book is not about helping people survive in the wilderness. If that were the case, Paulides would have promoted the Ab Taylor methodology of "Hug-A-Tree". This philosophy is promoted and taught by all professional Search and Rescue organizations, nationally and internationally. It was pioneered by Retired Senior Boarder Patrol Agent Ab Taylor who assisted in in the search for Jimmy Beveridge in 1981. I find it strange that Paulides didn't include Jimmy in this book. On the other hand it would have revealed his flawed theory on missing clothes hypothermia and terminal burrowing.

When Jimmy became lost, there were approximately 400 searchers including 200 Marines looking for him. Jimmy's jacket and one shoe were recovered and his direction of travel was established. Jimmy's body was found, curled up next to a tree in a ravine, about two miles from the campground. He had died from hypothermia. If Jimmy's missing shoe and jacket, as well as his final resting place sounds familiar, it's because it's a classic example of Paradoxical undressing and terminal burrowing associated with Hypothermia.

This case didn't strike the searchers as bizarre or strange as it is a common factor in the case of paradoxical undressing by a missing person who was found dead. Hypothermia is the worst enemy of anyone lost in the woods. The vast majority of the cases in Paulides' books simply got themselves lost, and unfortunately perished, some were found and others not. There is no grand conspiracy of "something happening" in the wilds of North America. Additionally, factors such as disabled, impaired, fever and conscious semi conscience can be attributed to the different degrees of hypothermia and the behavior associated with that. As far as rural settings, the last time I checked, woods and forests are fairly rural, aren't they?

Paulides mentioned that the Park Service didn't cooperate with his numerous requests for information regarding lost persons through the FOIA. I find this interesting insomuch that based on his background and unusual ideas and theories on other subjects, it wouldn't surprise me if they (park Service) ran a background check on him and determined him to be less than credible. This is not a reason to withhold information, but again you have to consider the source. Did he actually make these requests as he indicates? Is the park Service sequestering this information? All are legitimate questions when the name David Paul Paulides is spoken.

This review is an update and revision to my initial review. It's not about me or my background, rather it's a review of the facts presented and the credibility of the Author. I think I have outlined them both quite well. These are the facts and they can't be disputed. If you are someone who can look past obvious lies, errors and omissions that are pervasive in this or other books without checking the veracity of those claims than I will sell you admission tickets to my unicorn ranch.

Some will undoubtedly attack me personally, like Paulides did in my initial review. I don't think that I made any such attacks against him in this review or the pervious one, but as he has proven he is thin-skinned and doesn't take criticism well. Others will question why I have never reviewed any other books. I will simply state that this is the worst book I have ever read, and I felt compelled to make that known. It amounts to nothing more than toilet paper, expensive toilet paper at that!

In conclusion, I trust that David will not attempt to write about his Florida and Texas clusters. It would be a shame to massacre the amount of trees for two more of his books. If Paulides really cared about the families and the missing, he would have promoted the Ab Taylor "Hug-A-Tree" methodology, and he would have promoted this book through his CamAm site and not his Bigfoot site. Additionally the only "sleep" he has lost was trying to figure out how to sell this garbage as factual. His agenda is transparent and his genuine regard for the persons and families goes only as far as the deposits in his bank account."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/review/R17M0AXEMAG3HT/

Edited by RedHawk454
  • Upvote 2

I read that review, and all I see is someone with an axe to grind.  

Paulides does have a reputation for being a bit defensive when questioned about his work.  However, after having the chance to see some of the 'questioning' in action I can kind of see why he acts that way.  Like him or not, you can't deny that he has devoted a lot of time and effort into researching these topics.  When you invest so much if yourself into the field, only to find yourself being lectured by people who have done zero real fieldwork or research themselves....it could get a bit grating.  People who have heard a podcast or two about the subject suddenly feel comfortable telling him where he is wrong or what the cause of the phenomenon really is.  

I guess that is the Bigfoot/paranormal field in a nutshell.  

6 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I read that review, and all I see is someone with an axe to grind.  

Paulides does have a reputation for being a bit defensive when questioned about his work.  However, after having the chance to see some of the 'questioning' in action I can kind of see why he acts that way.  Like him or not, you can't deny that he has devoted a lot of time and effort into researching these topics.  When you invest so much if yourself into the field, only to find yourself being lectured by people who have done zero real fieldwork or research themselves....it could get a bit grating.  People who have heard a podcast or two about the subject suddenly feel comfortable telling him where he is wrong or what the cause of the phenomenon really is.  

I guess that is the Bigfoot/paranormal field in a nutshell.  

he wont ever give his opinion as to what it is.  and that eventually hurts his credibility.  He HAS TAKEN THE BIGGEST ROYAL SIDE STEP when it comes to his opinion on the what-did-it

He's said things along the lines of

people come up to me and say, hey, I know whats taking people, but i don't want to limit myself to one possibility

or something like that

and after a few years he just comes across as being disingenuous 

Edited by RedHawk454

BFF Patron

I don't fault Paulides for not naming the suspect.    It is not like he has ever had access to an ongoing search effort.    Perhaps if he did,   he might find something that was overlooked.    I would guess that law enforcement in most areas never suspect involvement of BF.     If they do they would never say it publically.    Most of the missing in my area are in Skamania County WA.     That is a poor county,   mostly national forest,  with a few small cities,  mostly clustered along the South end, along the Columbia River.    They conduct searches but are very limited in assets and manpower.    At the same time I would guess that the population of BF in that county is the highest in Washington State.    So with the large number of disappearances,   it is difficult to know if the reason is the number of BF or the lack assets available for search efforts.    Could be either or both.   

I’ve always found it better that he does not offer his opinion. I’d rather he just present facts as they are known.  I heard an interview with him where he clearly stated he believes BF to be pretty far down the list of potential explanations due to most cases not getting hits with cadaver dogs.  Idk, I enjoy his work.   

10 minutes ago, Twist said:

I’ve always found it better that he does not offer his opinion. I’d rather he just present facts as they are known.  I heard an interview with him where he clearly stated he believes BF to be pretty far down the list of potential explanations due to most cases not getting hits with cadaver dogs.  Idk, I enjoy his work.   

Agreed.  

He has also mentioned that he had a few ideas early in his investigations, however when additional data points emerged it disproved them.  So, I can understand why you wouldn't give a definitive answer as to the cause when you honestly were not a hundred percent certain.

Lately, he seems to be leaning more towards an extradimensional/portal explanation, albeit one with some form of intelligent control.

BFF Patron

We have to remember that as a police detective he was not into revealing suspects during an ongoing investigation unless he was very sure who it was and wanted the public involved in looking for them.    I suspect mentioning BF or Portals too much without any sort of proof puts him into the kook camp and he does not want to be there to keep selling books.   I don't go around accusing BF of anything outside this forum.    I have one neighbor that accused me of being nuts when I told him about my first footprint find.   We speak again at this point but I have never mentioned the subject since.     

You really do not need portals or interdimensional travel if ET is here and abducts humans.  

Edited by SWWASAS

27 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

We have to remember that as a police detective he was not into revealing suspects during an ongoing investigation unless he was very sure who it was and wanted the public involved in looking for them.    I suspect mentioning BF or Portals too much without any sort of proof puts him into the kook camp and he does not want to be there to keep selling books.   I don't go around accusing BF of anything outside this forum.    I have one neighbor that accused me of being nuts when I told him about my first footprint find.   We speak again at this point but I have never mentioned the subject since.     

You really do not need portals or interdimensional travel if ET is here and abducts humans.  

This is just my opinion, but I always got the impression that Paulides began Missing 411 with the expectation that there was a possible Bigfoot connection...only to eventually see that the issue was much more complex than he originally thought.  I enjoy his interviews because he will sometimes make comments that are absent from his written work.  

A few years ago, he made a comment on during an interview that stuck with me.  I am paraphrasing, but he said something along the lines that he might never officially go on record due to the disturbing nature of what he suspected was taking people.  He made a comment about not wanting to put the families through anymore grief than what they had already experienced.  

Now, he may very well have changed his opinion on the cause since then, but he certainly alluded to some sinister elements as being the culprit.

I need to find that interview again.  There are just so many to wade through at this point.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

I have had the opportunity to listen to several speakers who have been abducted by UFOs.    These are people who are quite famous in UFO circles.     Betty and Barney Hill,  and  Travis Walton (The Fire in the Sky abduction)   I was very into UFO research,   attended conferences for years,   and their experiences scared me out of that research.    Because their experiences were so awful,  I wanted nothing to do with getting up close and personal with ET.    Perhaps Paulides is referring to the horror of being a lab rat for ET to experiment on.   

BFF Patron

Part of the question is what Paulides thinks BF is.      If that is big dump ape, then that does not work for some disappearances.    He would likely think that a BF murder scene would be messy.    If BF is a smart forest human,   that understands footprints and that leaving behind objects and blood is evidence ,   then that disappearance would look very different.   Perhaps lack of physical evidence is pushing him towards an ET connection when it is really not there?  

1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

This is just my opinion, but I always got the impression that Paulides began Missing 411 with the expectation that there was a possible Bigfoot connection...only to eventually see that the issue was much more complex than he originally thought.

That is what I recall as well.  

So far as I can tell, yes, it is way more complex than just bigfoot.    

17 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

Perhaps lack of physical evidence is pushing him towards an ET connection when it is really not there?  

I don't think so.   Look at the accounts in Missing 411: The Sobering Truth.    The disappearances match the rest other than being from heavily populated areas and the recoveries match almost exactly.   I do not think bigfoot is going into populated areas (larger towns), abducting intoxicated people, saving them alive for a few weeks, then drugging them, drowning them, and putting their bodies in the river upstream from the disappearance.   If I ever disappear and am recovered, PLEASE insist that the cops test my remains for GHB.   I do not use "substances" recreationally other than an occasional beer or three.    If that is found, there is foul play involved.  Guaranteed.

MIB

BFF Patron
32 minutes ago, Twist said:

IMO, the lack of traceable evidence by dogs is a big factor in BF not being involved. 

How does a dog track a person?    By their footprints!    If BF or ET picks up a human, there are no footprints to follow and the dog is stumped.   Criminals on the run know that and will wade down creeks to avoid leaving scent.    If they wade long enough,  it is unlikely the dog finds where they left the creek.    Compounding that,   is normally by the time a dog gets involved,  there have been dozens of human searchers in the area before someone brings in tracking dogs.    A tracking dog is trained to ignore everything but the scent of the missing subject.     A dog is not going to follow a BF unless someone provides a BF scent for the dog to follow.    I don't know anyone that claims to have BF scent.     An object with the subjects scent is presented to the dog, and the dog follows that scent.  Cadaver dogs are a different story.     They are trained to locate decaying flesh.     I am hardly a dog expert so if I am incorrect, set me straight.   

Edited by SWWASAS