Missing 411

OhioSquatch

2 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Would be interesting to play the sound that I had on my recording to the person who heard the "trap shutting"  and see if that was what he heard.     In my case the sound was about 15 or 20 seconds before a deep voice said "too close".    I have no memory of anyone saying anything.     The sound was like a toilet flushing or a door opening and air pressure equalizing.   Had a bit of a metallic clank to it.   Reminds me of a submarine hatch opening.     I had heard something hit the road behind me that I assumed was a rock falling off the cliff on the side of the road.     When I got home,   I listened to the recorder trying to hear the rock and figure out where it hit behind me.   I heard the mechanical sound then the voice on the recording.    I have no memory of either or of any appreciable missing time.      I would not ascribe any of the experience to BF.     It I pinned in on anything it would be an ET encounter just because of the mechanical nature of the sound.   

I wish there was a way to connect you to the person who heard this sound to see if there are any commonalities. I think your last sentence focuses on something that is the elephant in the room. 

4 minutes ago, VAfooter said:

While probably few, if any, I wonder how many of these missing, wanted to "disappear"?

I think some could be runaways  when it comes to some teens but unless there was an underlying issue  with many of the adults that went missing . Example  leaving a bad marriage etc,,

in his books he has never mentioned that where I can recall . Most had strong family ties . loving wives or husbands .

Some cases really are truly unexplainable 

23 minutes ago, VAfooter said:

While probably few, if any, I wonder how many of these missing, wanted to "disappear"?

Probably few if any.  When you read his books, and watch his two movies, he specifically mentions he only takes cases where the authorities have rules out self-disappearance,  foul play, and animal predation.

In the Missing 411 case I alluded to above, all three were eliminated. To make matters even more bizarre, the FBI arrived on the scene.  I've heard they do not involved themselves in adult missing persons.  So...what is left?

Edited by wiiawiwb

Admin

Yeah, I have not read any of his books....yet. Plan to, just have not gotten to them yet (and quite frankly, not totally sure I want to....).

On Messick:

https://www.strangeoutdoors.com/mysterious-stories-blog/2019/12/4/the-very-strange-disappearance-of-tom-messick-whilst-hunting-near-brant-lake-new-york

Wonder if he got bored, walked through the woods, got lost, hit a road, and got picked up by those with bad intent. It was 6 1/2 hours from the drop off to when he was found to be missing.

I have to compartmentalize when I backpack alone into my targeted areas.  It is a tad unsettling to know of these cases and, in the pursuit of sasquatchery,  to put them aside as best one can.  It's one thing to prepare to do battle with things that bleed.  What if whatever is out there doesn't?

14 minutes ago, VAfooter said:

Yeah, I have not read any of his books....yet. Plan to, just have not gotten to them yet (and quite frankly, not totally sure I want to....).

I highly recommend his books. I find him to be a bird dog with a nose for something that's not quite right. They are compelling because the stories involve exactly what we do when we're out on a expedition.  You can probably find Missing 411: Hunters at your local library. I'd start there and work backward. 

BFF Patron
17 hours ago, VAfooter said:

On Messick:

https://www.strangeoutdoors.com/mysterious-stories-blog/2019/12/4/the-very-strange-disappearance-of-tom-messick-whilst-hunting-near-brant-lake-new-york

Wonder if he got bored, walked through the woods, got lost, hit a road, and got picked up by those with bad intent. It was 6 1/2 hours from the drop off to when he was found to be missing.

I  am in the same place but have seen a couple of his videos but not bought any books.  .     Quite frankly I would rather mentally not go there.    I have interacted some with local BF and survived the experience.    I would like to hope that continues because other than being heavily armed,   I don't know what else you can do if BF or some human has bad intentions.         There are other hazards out there too.     Bear, cougars, falling through the roof of a lava tube,  having a tree fall on you etc etc.  The only really safe thing to do is not go into the woods.   I just don't want to live my life afraid of everything although I would be more comfortable with more firepower in a side arm.  

Edited by SWWASAS

20 hours ago, VAfooter said:

A man who married one of my aunts "disappeared at sea" in a small craft, and everybody in the family knew he disappeared intentionally. He was that kind of guy; a shyster. Moreover, if anybody interviewed family members, that's what they'd be told, but officially ("scientifically", due to "no body"........sound familiar?) he was missing, and after a period of time set by law, presumed dead.

Deliberate disappearance might account for some fraction of the adult cases but it does not account for the little kids, especially the ones that were eventually found in locations already searched.    The bottom line is that accounting for any single case does not explain away the body of cases.  

MIB

BFF Patron
22 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I wish there was a way to connect you to the person who heard this sound to see if there are any commonalities. I think your last sentence focuses on something that is the elephant in the room. 

If there were what then?    I have no idea what caused the recording to happen.  There was a UFO encounter I heard related at a remote cabin in Idaho.    Several hunters were staying in the cabin and one simply went out for some air.     He had no idea anything was happening until something made him look up.   Hovering right over him was a huge  triangular craft that was totally noiseless.      He yelled at the guys in the cabin and when they came out the thing went straight up and out of sight in seconds. 

I never looked up when I was on the road.   I had no reason to.    I had been looking for footprints along the river bank and was walking back to my truck to go home.    The recording has my footsteps on the road,  and river noise when I got near the river to check the banks.   It does not seem to have any significant periods of time where I am not near the river or walking back to my truck.  Missing time would be obvious on the recording because I would not be moving.      Interestingly the location was very near a placer gold mining claim in the river.   During the summer,  guys with a floating dredge wear wet suits and suck gold out of the nooks and crannies in the river.     Unheard at the time voices on recorders are common for ghost hunters but I don't think that happens much with BF.    Another possibility is that I interrupted some sort of military or other operation where people had a powerful radio transmitter.     If I was close to a powerful transmitter, the electronics in the recorder might pick up the transmission and record it.    MIB has heard the recording and suggests that while it sounds like "too close" it might be something sounding similar.  Once you hear what I think it says, you cannot get that out of your mind.   The voice is very deep with a lot of overtones evident on Sonic Visualizer.       I cannot see a flesh and blood bigfoot being able to make recordings without being heard with your ears.   .  

Edited by SWWASAS

17 hours ago, MIB said:

Deliberate disappearance might account for some fraction of the adult cases but it does not account for the little kids, especially the ones that were eventually found in locations already searched..........

Agreed, but "deliberate" and "mysterious" can look very similar. For example, just last week here in Alaska, and in our best sasquatch habitat:

https://www.ktva.com/story/41948849/troopers-search-for-missing-5yearold-in-ketchikan

She left a 5 year old child because he didn't want to continue?

.........The bottom line is that accounting for any single case does not explain away the body of cases.

Agreed, but the opposite is also true: a collection of strange cases doesn't establish anything except a collection of strange cases, which is simply a regular part of life, and thus not even all that strange.

• Upvote 1

On 3/30/2020 at 8:10 AM, Huntster said:

"Agreed, but the opposite is also true: a collection of strange cases doesn't establish anything except a collection of strange cases, which is simply a regular part of life, and thus not even all that strange."

I would offer that it's not simply a matter of 'strange' cases, but rather recurring patterns in those cases. 

Agreed, but "deliberate" and "mysterious" can look very similar. For example, just last week here in Alaska, and in our best sasquatch habitat:

https://www.ktva.com/story/41948849/troopers-search-for-missing-5yearold-in-ketchikan

She left a 5 year old child because he didn't want to continue?

Agreed, but the opposite is also true: a collection of strange cases doesn't establish anything except a collection of strange cases, which is simply a regular part of life, and thus not even all that strange.

I agree that the 411 books do not establish anything. But not strange? I disagree with that.

Your example in that tragic story definitely shows negligence on the part of the mother.... but nothing strange.

Strange would be after three days the body of the five year old is found 100 feet up the trail where searchers walked 1000 times. Or stranger yet after three days the child is found unharmed and when asked where they had been, the child replies they have been living in a hollow log with a bear to keep them warm.

The common denominator of most of the 411 stories is some unseen force that is unexplained by conventional wisdom. Bears do not sleep with children in hollow logs. And yet after three days of exposure here is a healthy child. There are just too many cases like that too ignore.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, OTC said:

I would offer that it's not simply a matter of 'strange' cases, but rather recurring patterns in those cases. 

.........or both.

2 minutes ago, norseman said:

.........Your example in that tragic story definitely shows negligence on the part of the mother.... but nothing strange........

I thought it was bizarre. Negligent? At the very least. 

........Strange would be after three days the body of the five year old is found 100 feet up the trail where searchers walked 1000 times. Or stranger yet after three days the child is found unharmed and when asked where they had been, the child replies they have been living in a hollow log with a bear to keep them warm..........

Agreed. Those strange twists are what make his books pertinent.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Huntster said:

.........or both.

I thought it was bizarre. Negligent? At the very least. 

Agreed. Those strange twists are what make his books pertinent.

Of course it’s bizarre horrible behavior on her part. Agreed. I don’t want to sound like I’m down playing that. But it’s a story of a bad mother leaving her kid in the woods to die. No evidence of something IN the woods doing foul play.

I see those strange twists like how scientists detect black holes. Or planets orbiting stars. The evidence isn’t proof of anything, but it’s evidence of SOMETHING unseen out there.

Edited by norseman

I listened to him telling the story of a missing camper by Harrison lake. At best he wasn't really familiar with the area, at worse he was deliberately misrepresenting it

• Upvote 1