Missing 411

OhioSquatch

I read the stories you posted . The woods can look  weird sometimes . It's hard to explain but everything can seem to change all of a sudden when nothing did.

This has only happened to meonce in all my 40 or so years of hunting but one time I felt lost in an area I hunted for maybe 25 years or longer .

It was getting low light and I was about done hunting because I was bow hunting so I didn't have the advantage of any  low light use like when using a scope.

Now mind you I have had this tree stand in this exact location and tree for about 7 seasons . I climb down and it's about dark .As you guys know the woods get dark quick 

and even if there's still some light out in the open fields the woods are just black.   This is when it gets strange . I know how to walk out of these woods and have done it many many times.  I step down off the last screw in tree step and walk at the most 20 yards . I then stop and feel a little confused because there's suppose to be a large old fallen tree and a old stone wall I make a left at but none of those things are there . I'm like what the hell , how could I have walked the wrong way there's no way because I'm walking slightly up hill that's the way out . 

Now it's gotten really dark so I say okay I walk back to the stand and try this again . I want to mention I have walked to this stand in darkness before first light many times.

I turn around and walk back shining a small head lamp looking for my stand .  I walk the 20 yards or so and can't find the stand and it seems every tree looks different .

I'm not scared or in a panic but I'm more like what the hell is going on. I'm looking now again up hill and see what appears to be sky and I know if I make it out to a field 

I can find my way back to the truck. There's about 900 acres of broken up hay and corn fields in this area . I walk up but when I reach the top it was just more woods  going down the other side. I'm like what the hell is going on, how can I be confused in walking out of here . So I walk down the slope and guess what. I walk directly in my tree stand.

Now I feel better and take a breath and know exactly the way I have to go to get out. I make it back to my truck in about a half hour and just think that was interesting 

On 9/6/2020 at 5:10 AM, 7.62 said:

I read the stories you posted . The woods can look  weird sometimes . It's hard to explain but everything can seem to change all of a sudden when nothing did.

It isn't just the woods.   A couple times I've been doing long night runs on the interstate, familiar sections I've done hundreds of times, and suddenly found myself "lost".    Not like I fell asleep, I was awake, rockin' out to the radio, just suddenly did not know where I was.   I mean, yeah, in the truck, on a highway, but where?    Going under an overpass that shouldn't be where I thought I was.   A curve that is where it shouldn't be .. or isn't where it should be.   It's like something disrupts the mental chain of expectations.    Very unsettling and spooky.

MIB

25 minutes ago, MIB said:

It isn't just the woods.   A couple times I've been doing long night runs on the interstate, familiar sections I've done hundreds of times, and suddenly found myself "lost".    Not like I fell asleep, I was awake, rockin' out to the radio, just suddenly did not know where I was.   I mean, yeah, in the truck, on a highway, but where?    Going under an overpass that shouldn't be where I thought I was.   A curve that is where it shouldn't be .. or isn't where it should be.   It's like something disrupts the mental chain of expectations.    Very unsettling and spooky.

MIB

Happened to me all the time trucking. Lost time. Time gets wonky when your tired. I’ve also waken up many times in my sleeper having no clue where I was. My longest I was up was 40 hours. When I stopped I then could not go to sleep. And then once I did I slept like 14 hours straight. I never liked that about trucking and one positive of hauling aggregate. Set daytime schedule.

• Upvote 1

Admin

That has happened to me even on short drives of an hour or two. At some point on the drive, all of a sudden I think to myself, how did I get here? I have no recollection of the past 20 minutes or whatever it was of driving. Not like I was asleep, but the drive has become so routine and my mind is focused on other issues that the time seems to vanish. It is indeed spooky and weird. It is almost like your mind does not record that period of time. At each instant you know what is going on, but once it has passed, it is deleted from memory.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

I used to have that happen when I was commuting to work in Minneapolis out of San Francisco.     I would do a 12 hour day of flying,   leave Minneapolis,    fly 4 hours to SFO,   then drive the two hours from there to where I lived in the Central Valley.    I would have no recollection of going through towns or most of the drive home.   It was amazing that I did not fall asleep and kill myself. 

Another thing that happens rarely to me is driving a familiar route,  and suddenly notice something that you have never seen before.   It is like you slipped into a parallel universe.  There are theoretical physicists who believe that we are actually in some simulation orchestrated by the universe.   Sort of the same idea as "The Matrix" movie.        They claim that since the universe is so huge and has existed for so long,  it has become self-aware and very intelligent,  and plays with us like a child plays with toys.      

7 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Another thing that happens rarely to me is driving a familiar route,  and suddenly notice something that you have never seen before.   It is like you slipped into a parallel universe.  There are theoretical physicists who believe that we are actually in some simulation orchestrated by the universe.   Sort of the same idea as "The Matrix" movie.        They claim that since the universe is so huge and has existed for so long,  it has become self-aware and very intelligent,  and plays with us like a child plays with toys.      

That happened to me this morning on my drive home from work!  Same 14 mile drive for over 6 years and suddenly today I'm approaching a curve in the countryside and it occurs to me that something is different.  I swore there used to be a house on the right on the corner.  It was freaky.  I'm looking and I recognize all the other landmarks, but a house I swear I've driven by thousands of times is no longer there.  Not even a place for a house.  Just an overgrown pasture.

Some of you must be in some good stuff! :rock:

I drove an hour each way to work and while I zone out I’ve never ended up somewhere I don’t recognize. lol

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Twist said:

Some of you must be in some good stuff! :rock:

I drove an hour each way to work and while I zone out I’ve never ended up somewhere I don’t recognize. lol

I believe my disorientation was due to all of the smoke that obscured familiar landmarks.  That and having just worked 13 hours.

My drive yesterday...

IMG_20200912_172528452.jpg

• Upvote 1

Admin

Good point. I imagine that hunting this year is down considerably in these areas due to a number of reasons related to the fires.

With air quality so bad here just west and a little south of Salem Oregon, the company I work for closed down for the week. I have a High Cascade rife deer tag good only for this week. The national forests as well as state forests are closed to hunting because of the fire. 1/2 of my hunting area either burned or is on fire and the town of Detroit was our refueling place. It now is burned to the ground. So, I don't see hunters being allowed onto any timber land without significant rain fall.

In the past when I had this tag, we were allowed to hunt just a few miles from large forest fires, but those were isolated fires that were burning away from civilization, though no more than 10 miles from our camp. The amount of fires that have the possibility to converge like the Lion's Head and Beachie Creek did is the difference. Also the uncertain times we are dealing with. 

• Sad 1

The worry now is will the weather front cause lightning storms, which can ignite more fires if the front isn't carrying enough rain.

As I sit here because my company is closed due to air quality, I am burning all of my one week of vaction time that I had saved for a hike in elk hunt that I have been putting in for many years to draw the tag.I already spent the money on the tag and I won't have enough to go when the last week of October comes around. On a positive note, I'm getting a lot of stuff done around the house.