Missing 411

OhioSquatch

The Devil's In The Details...

Apparently there have been no dead animals found in the vicinity of the river, which is odd if it was a heavy algae bloom.  Certainly there would have been other animals drinking from this water. 

Could have been a family suicide or a murder/suicide situation.  Some sort of accidental poisoning that took place at their home, but didn't kill them until they were on the trail doesn't make sense. 

Luckily, the story hasn't dropped out of the headlines yet.  Hopefully, the news services will report the results of the toxicology report.

Livescience.com has a pretty good article on this tragedy, and the article seems to find the algae bloom idea kind of far fetched.  "The fact that it was two adults, a kid and a dog," makes this a really unusual situation, he said. "You think that even if people were exposed they're not all going to be exposed at the same rate."

https://www.livescience.com/how-did-california-family-die-hiking-toxic-algae-bloom.html

3 hours ago, norseman said:

Aliens.

If you want something that looks like aliens…

https://agenda.ge/en/news/2021/2299

500 sheep found dead from a single lightning strike.  The shepherd claims to have been knocked unconscious, but suffered no lasting injury.  They are having a vet autopsy some of the sheep, because apparently there is a lot of doubt that lightning caused these deaths.

"Even though the shepherd said that lightning was the cause of the deaths, Tonoiani said that there is no official confirmation on it."

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
  • Confused 1

The map in the article suggests it is well up on a hillside in an area steep enough for switchbacks.    That more or less removes toxic fumes of any sort from the picture because those, if lighter than air will rise away from the ground, if exactly the same density as air will stir around, and if heavier than air would move downhill into a low spot.

I think the answer is in the toxicology reports ... hopefully the contents of the water bladder are being tested as well.     Whatever it was, they all had it about the same time and it got them all.   That points to food or water .. my guess.    I'd guess water.   I think it will be one of three things.   First, could be they refilled the water bladder with toxic water before starting up the hill.   Could be someone introduced a poison to the water bladder without them knowing ... murder in other words.   Or it could be a whole family suicide, Jonestown style:  in that case, motives need to be examined: family finances and / or newly discovered medical issues.  

Yuck.   I am sad for them.

MIB

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, MIB said:

The map in the article suggests it is well up on a hillside in an area steep enough for switchbacks.    That more or less removes toxic fumes of any sort from the picture because those, if lighter than air will rise away from the ground, if exactly the same density as air will stir around, and if heavier than air would move downhill into a low spot.

I think the answer is in the toxicology reports ... hopefully the contents of the water bladder are being tested as well.     Whatever it was, they all had it about the same time and it got them all.   That points to food or water .. my guess.    I'd guess water.   I think it will be one of three things.   First, could be they refilled the water bladder with toxic water before starting up the hill.   Could be someone introduced a poison to the water bladder without them knowing ... murder in other words.   Or it could be a whole family suicide, Jonestown style:  in that case, motives need to be examined: family finances and / or newly discovered medical issues.  

Yuck.   I am sad for them.

MIB

One of the articles that I read today stated that the adults were carrying water, and that water is being tested.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, norseman said:

Aliens.

Even the natural explanations...algae blooms in the water....surely wouldn't kill them all that quickly in the same spot.

Some release of gas? So strange.

7 hours ago, Huntster said:

How so?

Either you provide provide for your movements and whereabouts for every single 411 case, or except that we were just poking fun. Personally I think you have some explaining to do.

10 hours ago, NatFoot said:

Even the natural explanations...algae blooms in the water....surely wouldn't kill them all that quickly in the same spot.

Some release of gas? So strange.

Yeah, it’s strange.  And not kill any of the surrounding wildlife?

4 hours ago, vinchyfoot said:

..........Personally I think you have some explaining to do.

Ever hear of the 5th Amendment to the U.S.Constitution?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Ever hear of the 5th Amendment to the U.S.Constitution?

That's a very defensive thing to say....

10 hours ago, Huntster said:

I'm a very defensive guy........on the few occasions when I'm not offensive.

Thats not much of an explanation.