PBeaton

Strange cries/howls recorded in Ont. Canada

PBeaton

Strange cries/howls recorded in Sioux Lookout Ontario, Canada, Oct. 3rd, 2019, 6:50pm CST, by Gino Meekis.   

Myself, I don't know what that is ? 

Carnivore

I came across this clip the other day on YouTube. It's a pretty good recording and definitely best to listen to with headphones. The interesting thing about these types of recordings is that there is always a share of people who will claim it's some specific known animal (elk, moose, bear, coyote, wolf, mountain lion, a missing grandma etc.). However, there is generally never any other audio recordings out there of the supposed known animal making the same type of sounds. This is not to say that it proves it's a bigfoot, but these inconclusive recordings surface over and over again. 

NatFoot

@Huntster

Ever hear a wolf, bear, moose etc make a noise like that.

I would surely be creeped out.

Huntster
6 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

........Ever hear a wolf, bear, moose etc make a noise like that.

I would surely be creeped out.

I've never heard a howl/roar like that. 

Arvedis

This seems legit, enough so that a grandmother feared for her grandchild.  The fact that the howling came closer is good evidence that BF has a very wide range of territorialism. Unless it is just coincidence BF decides to move from a far location into a closer area where those people were.

JustCurious

From the article at: https://globalnews.ca/news/6175300/videos-strange-howl-northern-ontario-forest/

Biologists with Ontario’s Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry are also not sure what the sound could be.

“Our biologists say it could be a larger mammal — for example a wolf — but because of a considerable distance from the recorder, there is no way to be certain,” Jolanta Kowalski, a spokesperson for the ministry, said in an email to Global News.

Meekis said he’s spoken to elders and more experienced hunters and has showed them the video. “They really don’t know what is,” he said.

Some have wondered whether the video is a hoax. In response to that, Meekis said, “They can think whatever they want, but I didn’t go out that day to play a hoax. I didn’t go out to deceive somebody.”

The 39-year-old said he’s been to the same area since hearing the noise and that he hasn’t heard it again.

From the comments on the news article, it's a moose alarm call, cougar mating call, injured wolf, mourning wolf, bear eating a wolf, nearby porcupine, bear caught in a trap, or baby deer.  In other words, no one knows what it is.

It sounds similar to the recording discussed here where they say there are no large animals like cougar, bears or deer on Cormorant Island:

And an in depth analysis by Dr. John Bindernagel of some other similar calls including acoustic analysis comparing moose:

• Upvote 1

MIB
On 11/16/2019 at 6:21 AM, Huntster said:

I've never heard a howl/roar like that. 

Ditto.  I would not like that.  

Not exact, but the closest thing I've heard to that is a ... fox.    You wouldn't think for such a little critter they could sound so big.

I'd be torn between making a quiet exit vs double-checking that my gun was truly ready for trouble, then moving in to see what it was.    Exiting would be smart but I'm curious ... and I have a couple lives left.  :)

MIB

Huntster
1 hour ago, MIB said:

........I'd be torn between making a quiet exit vs double-checking that my gun was truly ready for trouble, then moving in to see what it was.    Exiting would be smart but I'm curious ... and I have a couple lives left.  :)

I sat here considering what I would do if I was out there and heard such howling. My first thought was nightfall. If I was living in a tent and was alone, it would be important on the time of day that the howling started. If it was early enough in the day, I'd start packing. If not, I'd prepare for a long night, especially gathering firewood and setting up a pile to toss a flare into in case of emergency. If I had a competent partner who was willing to stay, I'd feel a lot better about hanging out and even following the sound.

My next thought was, why is that creature howling like that? We have a good understanding of how canines communicate with howling, but not with these creatures. Is it in pain? Is it seeking others of its kind? Is it communicating with others of its kind? If so, what is it trying to communicate? It must know that people can hear it. Is it threatening people? The only primates I could think of that howl like that are howler monkeys. I did a quick Google search to learn why howlers monkey howl. They do it to warn others not to stray into its territory.

The excellent links JustCurious posted are extremely interesting. Here we have one howling on a small island almost covered with people. Is it howling to warn people to stay away from the western portion where it feels cornered?  If they howl to warn others to stay out of its territory, the howling may be a good sign that intrusion might provide a confrontation. A few quiet men might be able to get video or a rifle shot at one putting on a bluff charge when intruding on one after its howling.

• Upvote 1

NCBFr

Looking for a mate would be my guess.

I have heard to screams that I have attributed to BF.  The first was an exact copy of the Ohio Moan.  I was a good distance away so it had nothing to do with me.  The second was a banshee like scream followed by violent tree shaking that was inside 100 yards.  This was definitely a warning to get my dogs and go away...which I promptly did.  The key to figuring out whether it was a BF or some other animal is volume.  No known animal can match their volume or sound pressure if you want to get technical.  

Huntster

Just for a bit of reference:

BlackRockBigfoot

It seems to go quiet for a few seconds after the child cries out. 

Those cries give the impression of a creature of substantial size.

Arvedis

That would be pretty incredible if the creature could hear the child's reply from that distance. Or perhaps there was another BF closer to the people that the howler was waiting for a response from. That is their pattern, to distract and observe. They won't interact unless they are offended in some way and then throw things like the cowards they are. 

It's not a mating call 🙄 that is pretty funny. 

Patterson-Gimlin

Sounds like a werewolf in pain making the change. 

Thanks for sharing .

I asked my hunter friends at work. 

3 of them said injured /dying bear.

1 said Sasquatch

1 said ghost

1 said fox

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

NatFoot
On 11/18/2019 at 1:08 PM, Huntster said:

Just for a bit of reference:

Sounded most like the gorilla to me.