Strange cries/howls recorded in Ont. Canada

BFF Donor

@Patterson-Gimlin

I just can't hear an injured/dying bear as much as I try. Admittedly, I've never heard one in person - but the emotion behind what we are hearing doesn't sound hurt.

Huntster
26 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

I just can't hear an injured/dying bear as much as I try. Admittedly, I've never heard one in person........

I sure have; more than once. We call it the death moan. I like hearing it.......opposed to going into the brush after a bear that has just been shot and not having heard it.

The howls on these recordings do not sound like a bears death moans.

Patterson-Gimlin
BFF Donor

That does not surprise me that you have heard them. I never have . 

Have you ever heard anything similar? 

Patterson-Gimlin
BFF Donor

Thank you very much. So,my guess is better than my friends.:laugh:

norseman
BFF Donor

It sounds canid to me. Most likely a dog. Doesnt sound like a wolf or coyote.

• Sad 1
  • 2 months later...

Reminds of the howl of the werewolf in An American Werewolf in London.  I am not sure what the howl is.  My thinking is that it is possibly a canine of some sort and due to the echo and distance of the howl, makes it sound odd.  Sounds echoing can sound very different than the source it is originating from.

On 2/5/2020 at 7:39 PM, Lucius111 said:

Reminds of the howl of the werewolf in An American Werewolf in London.  I am not sure what the howl is.  My thinking is that it is possibly a canine of some sort and due to the echo and distance of the howl, makes it sound odd.  Sounds echoing can sound very different than the source it is originating from.

I am listening to the video thinking where have i heard this before. Then I realized that's what we hear every spring after it gets dark. Don't have any idea what it is. We have a lot of hunting dogs around here and it's definitely not them. We have heard dogs all around here barking and they sound nothing like it. 2 of my son's were here one night and they both made the same remark you did. That it sounds like the werewolf from a werewolf in London.  They went down the road about a mile and said it had to be pretty far away.  I'm thinking it comes from down in the valley somewhere. It does have a canine sound to it yet is way louder than the other dogs around here. It's start's in the spring and then towards summer we don't hear it anymore. This happens every year.