Expedition Bigfoot :Travel Channel

Big Stinky

3 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

I wouldn't call this forum the general public.       You need a specific interest in BF to be here.  

As I started in my first posting on the subject.

"Wouldn't a good researcher care to keep their finger on the pulse of the general public, especially those with an active interest in the bigfoot phenomenon?'

Edited by Incorrigible1

BFF Patron

* Well true dat, for most people that are here to learn about a specific point of view and viability of the cryptid and not just to troll one side or the other or play double=agent. 

Edited by bipedalist

34 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Wouldn't a good researcher care to keep their finger on the pulse of the general public, especially those with an active interest in the bigfoot phenomenon?

If I was a researcher, the only reason I might have to maintain situational awareness on the public would be to know if they were about to screw up the area I was active in.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

I didn't state "results." I do state that a good researcher may well have a genuine interest in the entire phenomenon, including the general consensus of the public.

Research in a vacuum, if you wish.

I don't believe that my lack of concern about the general public's consensus on Bigfoot means that I am researching in a vacuum, but to each his own.  The signal to noise ratio with the general would be be so out of wack as to make it more of a distraction than a benefit.  

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

BFF Patron
2 minutes ago, Huntster said:

If I was a researcher, the only reason I might have to maintain situational awareness on the public would be to know if they were about to screw up the area I was active in.

Good point.   When my research area was active I sure did not reveal the location.     When people other than myself were present, nothing ever happened.  

4 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Exactly my thoughts.

BFF Patron

^ Having people verbally state such and then witness such in an area I was studying, I would say it is a real consideration any researcher not on public lands should expect to happen if giving out identifying information (loose lips sink ships and all that good stuff).

6 minutes ago, Huntster said:

see above post

Edited by bipedalist

There also may be researchers who think this Forum is monitored. Criteria for thinking so? Sasquatch is a real creature, and if that is the case, then people who downplay US interest in the subject to me are highly suspect. But ONLY if Sasquatch is a real creature. Because I truly do not think one can have a real 800 lbs. hairy biped in North America and governments not care. In a subject that lately has Bigfoot researchers conducting odd seemingly quiet maneuvering, to say that government doesn't care makes the worst sense, and weakest argument, of all.

Edited by hiflier

2 minutes ago, hiflier said:

There also may be researchers who think this Forum is monitored. Criteria for thinking so? Sasquatch is a real creature and if that is the case then people who downplay US interest in the subject to me are suspect. But ONLY if Sasquatch is a real creature. Because I truly do not think one can have a real 800 lbs. hairy biped in North America and governments not care. In a subject that lately has Bigfoot researchers conducting odd seemingly quiet maneuvering, to say that government doesn't care makes the worst sense, and weakest argument, of all.

When you say "downplay US interest in the subject" do you mean the US government or the US population?

Government.

Keeping media eye-rolling and snickering when reporting a story is all that's needed to influence public opinion. Peer pressure will do the rest. And what comes out of Hollywood doesn't treat the subject seriously either. Swaying the public hasn't been rocket science for 200,000 years.

Edited by hiflier

1 hour ago, bipedalist said:

Although OLYMPIC PROJECT put a hiatus on expeditions it was stated that was due to research emphasis and not a total abandonment of that process.  They did more group projects as a force multiplier once they had some success with possibilities like the nests.  I would in no way compare the arrogance of the old BFRO with the OP.   Quality people have left BFRO over the years en masse.   This is not the case with OP as far as I have followed them.  At least the Co-Founder of OP has a daytime job unlike the BFRO King.  Sure it is a status symbol to collect professors and scientists to your team, sort of like real life science and academia in that respect.  I will say that some researchers hedge their bets and have their toes embedded in multiple research efforts/groups. 

You know I just listened to the latest podcast from Area X and they are regurgitating the same stuff they poked others on BFF 1.o over, like,--wait for it,  "faux speech" -- translation:  vocalization/verbalizations that sound human, despite continuing to call things gorillas and apes when viewed from satellite imagery from Google Earth no less.  It sort of pained me to listen to the former owner of the BFF backsliding and describing things that others were castigated over in a previous life.  Full circle baby, full circle. 

Hope the formula for a quality show learns some humility from previous failures in the field which pretty much describes status to date. 

2 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Like NathanFooter we used to have some Olympic Project people but they got tired of dealing with scoftics and left.     From the outside,  they seem to have turned a corner and are more of an expedition service than research outfit.     Like the BFRO I have not had positive experiences dealing with them.     Many of these supposed research groups are more like bigfoot fraternities than research organizations.    I don't relate to fraternities very well.   

1 hour ago, bipedalist said:

....or play double=agent. 

:ninja:

Groups of people will follow the leader or splinter off and form their own groups.  The BFRO has lasted as long as it has because they just ignore problematic public discussions or shrug it off instead of diving into the mud slinging (though. there are always exceptions naturally).  It helps that a handful of the founders became wealthy from reality TV. Competitors have a hard time matching that success because Finding BF essentially became an elitist standard for BF research on TV, only because of its ratings.  Other reality show producers now have to find their own formula . In my view, you need the right characters who are also compelling researchers. Those people have to be available to do it and they have to find that comfort zone of making a production. The BFRO guys like Cliff and Matt MM, Bobo, and uh (what's her name doesn't count) definitely found a comfort zone. Can anyone find a group willing to do that?  Who has devoted their lives to BF research in that way and can accidentally find a workable formula for television production? 

I thought the Killing Bigfoot guys from the GCBRO were excellent but they couldn't keep it going beyond a few episodes since they all have lives to get back to (and some of them are kind of old).  If AreaX has some guys willing to make a series like Killing BF then I'd watch it.  It would be action instead of fake hopes like the BFRO managed to pull off with FBF.  The Olympic Project seems like good folks but not very exciting TV.

Edited by Arvedis

BFF Patron

Obviously you are not a researcher Arvedis.  Not Finding Bigfoot was no more than town halls after a season or two for anyone that could see that. 

If it were not for the residual public database they present there is nothing left but re-runs that nobody wants to watch. 

That FB lasted ten years is living testament to the low bar set for TV in general to fill minutes of a multitude of channels.

Sure, splinter groups and independents sucked what they could out of BFRO and moved on, so have the rest of the cast that aren't President/King. 

This thread being entertainment in value provides hope that maybe the new show will learn and live. 

Edited by bipedalist
  • Thanks 1

NAWAC and Area X was pretty visible for awhile as far as visual media goes.  They were in that recent Seth Breedlove documentary as well as the Lowe Files.  I thought that they came across well on the screen.  

Whether that is enough to carry their show?  Who knows.

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

BFF Patron

Maybe NAWAC will be the next TV extravaganza then, not waiting with baited breath. 

I think producers are scraping the bottom of the barrel and they know it. NAWAC historically hasn't courted much in the way of media but in the last few years they may be well positioned to fill the slot. They may also know very well that Animal Planet people may not be in their best interest. Rob Lowe is a bankable commodity and maybe should be the one to produce a NAWAC anything. In truth I think the public might be ready for something serious. There could be some pushback from certain stakeholders though, and the Ouachita is a National Forest although there is private land that may crop up for the right price.