Expedition Bigfoot :Travel Channel

Big Stinky

BFF Patron

I actually thought the show in the Travel Planet prior to Expedition Bigfoot was more interesting.    Justin Smedja and Stacy Brown took some environmental DNA experts to their joint sighting location and the findings pointed to a individual that was 98% human present in the creek there.  

11 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

If she is interested in the nests it will not play on the show.    Their whole theory is that their central Oregon spot is "the place" to go.     If the algorithm does not work the whole premise of the show is faulty.    I don't know that RPG's issue was but it was likely not infrasound as was alluded to.    Infrasound would have effected Dr Major too.    His symptoms seemed to be altitude sickness.    Although where they are was about 6000 from what I picked up.    That is just above Denver.   RPG was spouting BFRO dogma at times and I kringed thinking about a redo of "Finding Bigfoot"    I expected  "night solo fieldwork" at any time.    Of course it would have included the cameraman.     I thought that the fourth character setting up in a house so far away was a bit strange.     What is their driving need for internet access all about?    Do they expect to get so much material in 3 weeks that they need the internet to handle it all?     One of the major problems with Finding Bigfoot was the small windows of time they spent at each show location.    You can barely get a feel for a location in a few days time.     The 3 weeks allowed for this show is very short and limiting.   

I considered RPG's departure strange. I wondered if it was due to illness or due his cringe use of BFRO slogans. Like you, I originally thought that this was just going to devolve into a Finding Bigfoot spinoff.

Maybe once they got him into the field, they realized that he wasn't going to work out and made up the illness line to allow him to save face?  

BFF Patron

Better yet anyone get a call asking for you to be a substitute on the show?      There are several major actors in the bigfoot world that live in Oregon.    I suspect that someone no one has heard of will get tapped to join the show.    I had not thought that the illness could be contrived.    Maybe RPG hit on Dr Major and she said he needed to go or she was done with the show?

Edited by SWWASAS
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

Maybe RPG hit on Dr Major and she said he needed to go or she was done with the show?

I might agree, SWWASAS, but she has six children and has been in the field in some pretty wild places. Plus she was an NFL cheerleader in her earlier life. My guess is she can handle herself but any advances wouldn't be welcome nonetheless. I'm thinking it probably didn't happen. One thing in their favor, or anyone's favor for that matter, is that there are supposedly 8 episodes in the same general region.

Altitude sickness is serious business. I live about as low as anyone can since I am only about 40 ft. above sea level at home and even lower when I venture outside. The first year I traveled across country to Lake Tahoe (at 6200 ft.) I could really feel it walking around until about the second week.

An article I read years ago stated that Sir Hillary also had altitude sickness and had to eventually give up climbing.

Edited by hiflier

BFF Patron

I was with a woman companion in Rocky Mountain National Park.      She is as fit for her age as anyone I know.    But when we got above 10,000 feet in a hike she started passing out on me.   I was very concerned about getting her out of there.   I basically supported her as we hiked out.   I would set her down to rest and she would pass out.   She has a very low normal blood pressure.   Apparently at altitude, even though she is fit,  her blood pressure is not sufficient to get the blood up to her brain.    It starts with weakness and fainting then the brain starts to swell and if allowed to progress death can follow.     Many die on Everest every year.    Anyway the exertion of carry her out started getting to me too.   I did not pass out but was feeling the altitude too.   

23 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

Better yet anyone get a call asking for you to be a substitute on the show?      There are several major actors in the bigfoot world that live in Oregon.    I suspect that someone no one has heard of will get tapped to join the show.    I had not thought that the illness could be contrived.    Maybe RPG hit on Dr Major and she said he needed to go or she was done with the show?

According to the production company during my partner's flirtation with cryptozoology reality TV, so many of the big names in the crypto world are ok for short sound bite clips, but not considered really viable for carrying a whole show.  To quote "they're all weird.  Just not the right type of weird for television".

We do have some rather...'unique' individuals in this field.

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

SWWASAS, you, and she, are so lucky to have survived that, especially her. A guy from Utah died recently on Everest. It's serious business and not something to scoff at. People with low blood pressure condition probably shouldn't even drive through those 11,000 ft. passes. Do the math, that's two miles up! Barometers drop one inch for every 900 ft. So we're talking a major atmospheric drop at that altitude.

I've seen a lot of vintage pocket barometers calibrated with a lower scale for mountaineers. Some of them are quite beautiful but, much as I'd like to have one, the altitudes they are calibrated for are pretty useless for me. For myself I have a Dalvey, made in Scotland. It has a closed cover and looks like an oversized pocket watch.

untitled.png.fda6577571425c9c9ab3a62302fcc030.png

Edited by hiflier

I just watch the first Episode,  Using Lidar to find trails was cool. Xmas Gift Idea for me. The wireless Cameras are pretty cool. The infra red shot... you couldnt tell if it was a BF or a human, Hope this Doesnt go the way of Finding Nothing....... Every time I hear the words, " did you hear that". I cringe............ 

They are in a good spot... But the question I have... If this is True wilderness... Then Why is there a well maintained dirt road leading to the un touched Wilderness.  Hmmmmm. When MY wife and I, GO into the Deep Woods we have to pack our stuff into it. So I think it is just a bit fishy...... But hey I am not there  

The Lady Mushroom Picker had a good Story.... She seemed honest...... 

BFF Patron

The key for us flat landers going to Colorado is to acclimatize  for a few days at 5000 before going into the rockies.  My last trip I did no go into the mountains until I had been there for about 5 days.     I would  not have liked to do any heavy work above 11,000 but it went a lot better up there this time.     My daughter and her husband commonly run above 10,000.   

I have mentioned seeing what looks like major trails in the Gifford Pinchot when I fly over it.     None are marked on the map.    Some may be very old and unused logging trails.    The trend there is to abandon old logging roads and let them grow over.   Lidar very well may see stuff that no one knows about.   The ones I have found on foot,  seem to have no deer or elk tracks in spite of seeming to be used enough to keep the ground cover beaten down.     That takes a lot of something big to do.   

Edited by SWWASAS

20 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

The ones I have found on foot,  seem to have no deer or elk tracks in spite of seeming to be used enough to keep the ground cover beaten down.     That takes a lot of something big to do.  

Might be bear.  

One of the areas that piqued my curiosity was in a saddle between two big canyons.   The deer trails were all "funny".   The bottoms of the tracks were sharply defined but the tops were all muted and the edges of the trails were all rounded / muted as if they'd had many soft-bottomed feet going over them after the mud had dried and hardened.    There was no "poop" to give the culprit away.  I had high hopes 'cause the saddle was less than a half mile from my last BF sighting but .. nope.   Trail cams showed a surprisingly large number of black bear passing through the saddle between the canyons.

MIB

21 minutes ago, Franco said:

I just watch the first Episode,  Using Lidar to find trails was cool. Xmas Gift Idea for me. The wireless Cameras are pretty cool. The infra red shot... you couldnt tell if it was a BF or a human, Hope this Doesnt go the way of Finding Nothing....... Every time I hear the words, " did you hear that". I cringe............ 

They are in a good spot... But the question I have... If this is True wilderness... Then Why is there a well maintained dirt road leading to the un touched Wilderness.  Hmmmmm. When MY wife and I, GO into the Deep Woods we have to pack our stuff into it. So I think it is just a bit fishy...... But hey I am not there  

The Lady Mushroom Picker had a good Story.... She seemed honest...... 

The lady mushroom picker either eats weird shrooms, or doesn't know the wildlife she's supposedly amidst - there aren't grizzlies in Oregon. 

After they spent that time talking with her, I had a hard time taking any of it seriously.

But they do have a lot of cool equipment, and a couple of quite qualified people, IMO. So I hope for more interesting episodes ahead!

On a side note, I was talking with Cliff Barackman a couple days ago, and he was REALLY unhappy about the new show. He thinks it's a lightweight silly show - and offensive in the extreme to any serious bigfoot researcher. Which, I admit, I thought was a bit ridiculous coming from someone who did years of t.v. on a show made up of caricatures.

• Upvote 2

In my younger days 9000' was when I started to notice the lack of oxygen when hiking. At 10,000', it's definitely noticeable. 

A few years ago, well after retirement, I went on a hike @ 7000', and I didn't notice the oxygen deficiency, so youth or age wasn't a factor.

I live at 300' elevation, and annually hunt @ 4000', and I don't notice the elevation whatsoever.

5 minutes ago, gotafeeling said:

The lady mushroom picker either eats weird shrooms, or doesn't know the wildlife she's supposedly amidst - there aren't grizzlies in Oregon. 

After they spent that time talking with her, I had a hard time taking any of it seriously.

But they do have a lot of cool equipment, and a couple of quite qualified people, IMO. So I hope for more interesting episodes ahead!

On a side note, I was talking with Cliff Barackman a couple days ago, and he was REALLY unhappy about the new show. He thinks it's a lightweight silly show - and offensive in the extreme to any serious bigfoot researcher. Which, I admit, I thought was a bit ridiculous coming from someone who did years of t.v. on a show made up of caricatures.

Lol.  He thinks that it is a "lightweight and silly show".  Cliff Barackman.  He said that.  Wow. 

While I am sure that Cliff is extremely knowledgeable about the subject, I don't believe that he should be casting stones at any other show out there.  He lives in a glass house.  In a glass town.  On a glass planet... Finding Bigfoot was a cringe-fest of cutesy sayings, catchphrases, and brand marketing.

6 minutes ago, gotafeeling said:

Interesting, Moneymaker let loose with a very nasty tweet as well: