Expedition Bigfoot :Travel Channel

Big Stinky

^^^^ It is called failure marketing. They are good at it..........for decades.  Similar to the fandom of chronic losing sport  entertainment teams. Over rated and over priced.

A few things about the first episode of Expedition Bigfoot come to mind.  First,  there is a cast of only 4 people. Why remove one of the four from actual forest research to play with electronics and computers away from ground zero? Keep experienced field researchers doing what they do best. You can hire someone to do the electronic stuff.

Second,  the admission by the mushroom lady that she saw both black bear and grizzly.  In my opinion, they should have corrected her on the spot by saying, "There are no grizzly in Oregon. You must have seen a cinnamon-colored black bear." or left that part of the interview out.   You don't want your audience wondering whether you really do know what apex predators are in the woods you endeavor to research in.

On the good side,  I did like a few things. Russell came across as a serious, hard-core outdoorsman and that adds another dimension to the show.  I also liked the new gear, technology, and approach to field work. Having said that, nothing replaces old-fashioned gumshoeing.  I'm undecided about the primatologist. I hope her depth of experience brings something positive to the fieldwork in episodes to come.

4 hours ago, gotafeeling said:

The lady mushroom picker either eats weird shrooms, or doesn't know the wildlife she's supposedly amidst - there aren't grizzlies in Oregon. 

After they spent that time talking with her, I had a hard time taking any of it seriously.

If I recall, she said that she saw 2 grizzlies and 1 black bear the previous week? 

I was more disappointed with the guy who was interviewing her (Bryce Johnson) than in her, because he was the one claiming to be a BF researcher and should have known that there are no grizzlies in Oregon.

He should have corrected her on the spot or edited that part of the interview.

It did lower the credibility of the story and of Bryce.

4 hours ago, gotafeeling said:

But they do have a lot of cool equipment, and a couple of quite qualified people, IMO. So I hope for more interesting episodes ahead!

I agree.  I liked the application of LIDAR technology with drones and the multiple game cameras setup with wifi? signals for real time monitoring.  Not sure how the latter worked in the wilderness and will like to learn more.

Admin
2 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Yeah, but they don't cost $500 a head to run one. 

It is my understanding that the $500 allows one access to the site/group and possible use of some equipment (cameras, listening devices, etc.) during the outing. Individuals are still responsible for their transportation to and from the event, shelter, food, and whatever other supplies they may require for the duration.

BFF Patron
3 hours ago, hiflier said:

......and expeditions of course. But I don't think one can organize one all that cheaply. They do cost some to run one.

I missed Episode 1 so can't weigh in.  

Cinnamon black bear definitely a learning experience.  They should be glad they don't have to worry about them in Oregon for the safety of their crew.

In the case of BFRO, besides the chief, it was volunteers who packed MM's lunch for him who then rarely got properly reimbursed.  It was about the access to the private database FLATS that held most of it together and free expeditions after you were selected to continue with the group because of either money/talent or both, ability to put up with BS or the personal interests/research of the organizers to get access to hotspots and come back on their own time or pre-search for upcoming expeditions.  Heck they even did an end run around forest service fees and commercial/group fees when called on it in one instance I witnessed.  They almost threw us out of our site on day one.  Maybe it was a legal technicality. Talking about comedy, that was high cotton.  Maybe things changed with the success of the show in regard to reimbursement of organizers.  That said, many fine people moved through the group and are still in the organizing ranks there.  Perhaps it has taken on a more localized flavor with organizers since my experience and reimbursement is different. 

Edited by bipedalist

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

.....".the admission by the mushroom lady that she saw both black bear and grizzly.  In my opinion, they should have corrected her on the spot by saying, "There are no grizzly in Oregon. You must have seen a cinnamon-colored black bear." or left that part of the interview out.........

You're probably right, but there are no Siberian tigers in Los Angeles, either.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tiger-killed-near-reagan-library/

Nor were there grizzlies in southern Colorado in 1979.

https://the-journal.com/articles/152973

There are also a lot of folks who passionately profess that there are no sasquatches in Oregon........or anywhere else, for that matter.

I just don't know anymore. But I wouldn't be surprised if, one day, somebody kills a grizzly in Oregon. Or a tiger..........

5 hours ago, Explorer said:

I agree.  I liked the application of LIDAR technology with drones and the multiple game cameras setup with wifi? signals for real time monitoring.  Not sure how the latter worked in the wilderness and will like to learn more.

Since they are in the wilderness I would say satellite technology similar to a satellite cell phone. Didn't they already have trail cameras equipped with that type of technology years ago? I know they were very expensive. If they are hoping to get a large viewing audience they need to have the latest technology in all of their gadgets to appeal to people who watch just to see what they will use next.

11 hours ago, Explorer said:

One hour into the radio show, Wes interviews Russell Acord and Russell explains who the players are and their roles in the Expedition Bigfoot show.

No disclosures given, but interesting background into their setup.

https://sasquatchchronicles.com/sc-ep607-expedition-bigfoot/

Heard this one... Kind Blaah russell was

17 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

No matter what their intentions starting out, the BFRO is an entertainment company now.  Not research.

I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing about the organization, however, the folks who ran the 'expedition' I went on were serious researchers regardless and are involved in research at several locations that I know of.   I've heard the stories, however, there was no hoaxing, no foolishness on "our" trip.   I got what I expected, got what I paid for.    I suppose that assessment would vary with expectations though.  

MIB

1 hour ago, MIB said:

I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing about the organization, however, the folks who ran the 'expedition' I went on were serious researchers regardless and are involved in research at several locations that I know of.   I've heard the stories, however, there was no hoaxing, no foolishness on "our" trip.   I got what I expected, got what I paid for.    I suppose that assessment would vary with expectations though.  

MIB

Speaking of their expeditions, I just found this and would probably register because of the below if I still lived in CO:

"
BFRO investigator Dennis Pfohl of Colorado will be leading this expedition.  He has the best collection of unreleased bigfoot footage in the world. He can show those videos to people in person. The vids are legit and amazing. You won't find them anywhere online."

37 minutes ago, hiflier said:

One can only hope that Dennis has worked with, or planning to work with someone in science/primatology?

It's the old ..."there's evidence out there but no one wants to share it" discussion.

If this Dennis guy doesn't care to prove existence and just wants to learn about the creatures...then why take video evidence and then share it only in person?

I guess to drum up business for expeditions. That's a shame.

BFF Patron
1 hour ago, NatFoot said:

Speaking of their expeditions, I just found this and would probably register because of the below if I still lived in CO:

"
BFRO investigator Dennis Pfohl of Colorado will be leading this expedition.  He has the best collection of unreleased bigfoot footage in the world. He can show those videos to people in person. The vids are legit and amazing. You won't find them anywhere online."

That's the same guy involved with the Kentucky pancake videos and the Alberta-Canadian real estate magnate's Chewy video too and you know how far that video adventure carried us. Tautologically, back to--wait for it

--the Toddster who bought out the website and such of the magnate's goods. 

Edited by bipedalist
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

It's the old ..."there's evidence out there but no one wants to share it" discussion.

If this Dennis guy doesn't care to prove existence and just wants to learn about the creatures...then why take video evidence and then share it only in person?

I guess to drum up business for expeditions. That's a shame.

It's why I said what I said. It was pretty much tongue in cheek. Should have added and eye-rolling emoticon. Hmmm, maybe it's not too late....:rolleyes: