Expedition Bigfoot :Travel Channel

Big Stinky

BFF Patron
15 hours ago, Huntster said:

You're probably right, but there are no Siberian tigers in Los Angeles, either.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tiger-killed-near-reagan-library/

Nor were there grizzlies in southern Colorado in 1979.

https://the-journal.com/articles/152973

There are also a lot of folks who passionately profess that there are no sasquatches in Oregon........or anywhere else, for that matter.

I just don't know anymore. But I wouldn't be surprised if, one day, somebody kills a grizzly in Oregon. Or a tiger..........

There were no wolves in Western Washington in my county until I found the footprints.    On showing the DNR pictures of the footprints they admitted that a wolf had been sighted in the area a week prior.    They just were not telling anyone they are there.     Given the rapid spread of wolves from Idaho into Washington and Oregon,  I would not want to bet there are no grizzly in Oregon.        Lack of a certain species in good habitat is a vacuum that soon fills.    Anyplace black bear are found certainly would be good for grizzly too.    Just the fact that DNR officials apparently cover up wolf presence,   sure makes you wonder what they know and are not saying about bigfoot.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron
1 hour ago, bipedalist said:

That's the same guy involved with the Kentucky pancake videos and the Alberta-Canadian real estate magnate's Chewy video too and you know how far that video adventure carried us. Tautologically, back to--wait for it

--the Toddster who bought out the website and such of the magnate's goods. 

A guy with a library of unreleased videos or pictures should be watched very carefully if he is involved in a TV series.    If they bomb out at the location, it would be very tempting for him to introduce his own stuff and no one could prove it preexisted the show.     He could probably pull it off without knowledge of the other participants too.   He has held it back for likely the same reason I have my picture.   Once it is released, you cannot control what is done with it.  But if introduced in the show, pictures or videos would get the greatest exposure and be copyrighted with the show material.  

• Upvote 1

Last summer we were up in Oregon Camping... We were told that there has been grizzy sighting in the Umatilla National Forest. Where we were going to camp.... By the ranger at that Forest.

Just found this....

How many grizzly bears are in Oregon?
Territory, population: About 25,000 to 30,000 native black bears live in Oregon. "Black bears are more abundant than cougars," Akenson said. While grizzly bears are also native to the state, the last known grizzly was spotted and killed in the 1930s in northeast Oregon, according to ODFW.

So a bit confused..LMAO

Edited by Franco

10 minutes ago, Franco said:

Last summer we were up in Oregon Camping... We were told that there has been grizzy sighting in the Umatilla National Forest. Where we were going to camp.... By the ranger at that Forest.

Just found this....

How many grizzly bears are in Oregon?
Territory, population: About 25,000 to 30,000 native black bears live in Oregon. "Black bears are more abundant than cougars," Akenson said. While grizzly bears are also native to the state, the last known grizzly was spotted and killed in the 1930s in northeast Oregon, according to ODFW.

So a bit confused..LMAO

Could be that DNR just doesn't want to admit that there are grizzlies in the area.  We see that here with mountain lions.  

I seem to remember reading that it was unlikely for grizzlies to return to Oregon.  Unlikely, however, does not seem impossible.

More than likely, the young lady saw a brown or cinnamon black bear.  Black bears with that coloring are reported in Oregon.

BFF Patron

I can remember a similar statement about wolves returning to Western Oregon and Washington.     They defied the experts and returned very quickly and likely will soon become problematic like they are in Eastern portions of both states.     Cattle are a lot easier than chasing down deer.  

Regarding grizzlies in Oregon, there are stories / reports.   The ones I have been looking into come from the area around Crater Lake National Park and the upper Rogue River area / southern Cascade Mountains.   I would not absolutely rule out the possibility of grizzly or grizzly/black bear hybrids in Oregon but if they are here, they are pretty darn rare.   

More likely would be one of the many color phases of black bear we see.     I got this little female on my trail cameras a lot over a period of about 3 years.    The 3rd season she had cubs, jet black.   Her face is black, under hair is black, but the long "guard hairs" are blonde.

150621AA_Frame10394.thumb.jpg.49bb7ca4d4f207f570e07c51e69e0289.jpg

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, coffee2go said:

Since they are in the wilderness I would say satellite technology similar to a satellite cell phone. Didn't they already have trail cameras equipped with that type of technology years ago? I know they were very expensive. If they are hoping to get a large viewing audience they need to have the latest technology in all of their gadgets to appeal to people who watch just to see what they will use next.

In the show they all have satellite phones to communicate.  I presume that is because there is no cell phone reception in the area, but I don't know.

They use the satellite phones to communicate among themselves but mainly with the guy who is in the headquarters cabin about 34 miles away (who does have cell phone reception, wifi, and access to internet).

In the show they said that all (can't recall how many but it looked more than 4) the game cameras installed create their own wireless network and each camera sends all the captured images to a local device.

What is not clear is that their base camp is about 7-8 miles from the game cameras, and they said that the local device collects all the information from about 4 miles away.

The closest technology that I found in the internet to what they are describing is the the following Cuddelink system.

https://www.cuddeback.com/cuddelink

What is not clear to me, is that the Cuddelink network still requires one cell phone to send all the information from the final collection device to your computer (and they don't seem to have cell phone reception).

I am sure that as the show progresses, they will explain better what technology they are using.

I went back and re-listened to the segment where the mushroom lady (BF eyewitness) is interviewed because I wanted to better understand what she said about the grizzlies.

Her reply to the question about wildlife in the area:

"We have seen 3 bears this week, two grizzlies and a black bear".

Later, the interviewer asks:

"What do you do when you encounter a grizzly?"

She replies:

"You don't make eye contact and you look the other way".

The interviewer does not question her statement and assumes it is 100% accurate.  Later on he states that she is a brave lady to be camping around with grizzlies.

IMHO, if people are encountering grizzlies in their campground in central Oregon, that is newsworthy and they should document and report to Oregon's DFW.

In this case, I am dubious about the claim.

Either the show producer/editor fully trusted and believed the eyewitness and decided it should not be edited out of the show or was ignorant and did not think this will reduce the credibility of the story.

It is kind of absurd to nitpick a grizzly eyewitness account in a Bigfoot forum about a creature that supposedly does not exist.

It is not as if we are willing to believe that she saw the BF but not the grizzly.

I think it is more a question of: can we believe her BF encounter claim if she can't tell the difference between a grizzly and a black bear?

I think the answer is probably yes.

But, we don't have to guess.  All we have to do is ask the boyfriend, and check if he can corroborate either claim.

It would have been helpful to interview her boyfriend, since according to her, he also saw the BF and presumably also saw the bears.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Explorer said:

I went back and re-listened to the segment where the mushroom lady (BF eyewitness) is interviewed because I wanted to better understand what she said about the grizzlies.

Her reply to the question about wildlife in the area:

"We have seen 3 bears this week, two grizzlies and a black bear".

Later, the interviewer asks:

"What do you do when you encounter a grizzly?"

She replies:

"You don't make eye contact and you look the other way".

The interviewer does not question her statement and assumes it is 100% accurate.  Later on he states that she is a brave lady to be camping around with grizzlies.

IMHO, if people are encountering grizzlies in their campground in central Oregon, that is newsworthy and they should document and report to Oregon's DFW.

In this case, I am dubious about the claim.

Either the show producer/editor fully trusted and believed the eyewitness and decided it should not be edited out of the show or was ignorant and did not think this will reduce the credibility of the story.

It is kind of absurd to nitpick a grizzly eyewitness account in a Bigfoot forum about a creature that supposedly does not exist.

It is not as if we are willing to believe that she saw the BF but not the grizzly.

I think it is more a question of: can we believe her BF encounter claim if she can't tell the difference between a grizzly and a black bear?

I think the answer is probably yes.

But, we don't have to guess.  All we have to do is ask the boyfriend, and check if he can corroborate either claim.

It would have been helpful to interview her boyfriend, since according to her, he also saw the BF and presumably also saw the bears.

Dont believe all “official” statements about were wildlife should be. I would not find it hard to believe that there could be griz living in Oregon. They are as far south as Central Idaho and Wyoming in the Rockies. The same goes for Colorado, Utah and eventually even California/Nevada.

37 minutes ago, norseman said:

Dont believe all “official” statements about were wildlife should be. I would not find it hard to believe that there could be griz living in Oregon. They are as far south as Central Idaho and Wyoming in the Rockies. The same goes for Colorado, Utah and eventually even California/Nevada.

I think the last grizzly was killed in CO in the 70s.

I just can't buy that they could exist in a border state and not have followed some of the Rockies down into CO.

11 hours ago, norseman said:

The **official** range of the Black Bear in the Northeast extends halfway down New Hampshire, yet there's an overabundance of them in New Jersey, so......