Expedition Bigfoot :Travel Channel

Big Stinky

I am enjoying this show so far.  

However....

I know that when I am out on a multi-day hike, carrying my food, shelter, equipment, and other supplies on my back... I always make sure to bring a rappelling helmet, harness, and at least 1000 feet of rope with me.  You know, just in case.

Did the camera crew rappel down too?  

That scene seemed a little too forced...a little too Destination Truth-ish.

Overall, still an entertaining show.  Interested to see how it plays out.

• Haha 1

BFF Patron
12 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I am enjoying this show so far.  

However....

I know that when I am out on a multi-day hike, carrying my food, shelter, equipment, and other supplies on my back... I always make sure to bring a rappelling helmet, harness, and at least 1000 feet of rope with me.  You know, just in case.

Did the camera crew rappel down too?  

That scene seemed a little too forced...a little too Destination Truth-ish.

Overall, still an entertaining show.  Interested to see how it plays out.

Even Grylls came up short (accidentally on purpose) with rope one time, better double-up!

2 minutes ago, bipedalist said:

Even Grylls came up short (accidentally on purpose) with rope one time, better double-up!

You have to have twice the length of rope as the distance that you are going to rappel.  I think that he said that he was going down a 475 ft cliff.  That's a lot of rope to carry...in addition to tent, food, rain gear, research equipment, etc.

He must have been the ruckmaster when he was active duty.  

• Haha 1

On 12/12/2019 at 7:57 AM, Explorer said:

However, when I checked the SSR database for BF reports from those 4 counties, I did not see a large representation (only 7).

If you go west from Crook County into Deschutes county, then reports increase by an additional 16.

I do not think anyone in Oregon reports anything to the BFRO, which kinda negates the validity of the sightings database. Or, they are reporting,  but its not being published. There are lots of big names to report things to, instead of filling out a form online and wondering if anyone ever saw it or cares.

Could be that they are getting their info from locals in the know more than using databases for guidance. 

6 minutes ago, Madison5716 said:

I do not think anyone in Oregon reports anything to the BFRO, which kinda negates the validity of the sightings database. Or, they are reporting,  but its not being published. There are lots of big names to report things to, instead of filling out a form online and wondering if anyone ever saw it or cares.

Could be that they are getting their info from locals in the know more than using databases for guidance. 

I couldn't agree more! No one here, that I know or have talked to, has made any "report". To anyone.

1 minute ago, gotafeeling said:

I couldn't agree more! No one here, that I know or have talked to, has made any "report". To anyone.

You and I both know someone who did. LOL

But I am with you. Many folks just go on with life and don't bother to make an "official" report. Talking to locals can often reveal some interesting info.

4 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

You and I both know someone who did. LOL

But I am with you. Many folks just go on with life and don't bother to make an "official" report. Talking to locals can often reveal some interesting info.

She did? Ah well. I know that most people do want some sort of explanation or validation of what they experienced. Makes sense. 

And on a related note - and then I'll stop going off-topic - the NABC is a great place to hang out and hear people relate their stories. But there is an awful lot of animosity being expressed by some folks here, for Barackman and his museum.

15 minutes ago, Madison5716 said:

You are right.  I think that the vast majority of sightings go unreported.  People in rural areas do not have the initial response of "Just saw a Bigfoot.  Let me jump online and submit a report".  Heck, most of them probably have no clue who the BFRO is, even if they have seen the show.

BFF Patron
9 minutes ago, gotafeeling said:

I made 2 BFRO reports when I first started field work.    Neither generated a response from an investigator and neither ever found their way into a publically available data base.   I might as well have thrown them into the trash can.    The only response I got was a call from a Finding Bigfoot producer,  inviting me to attend a Town Hall meeting in the area.   So as was mentioned, I would not even call what BFRO has a data base since they do not seem to accept data.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SWWASAS said:

I made 2 BFRO reports when I first started field work.    Neither generated a response from an investigator and neither ever found their way into a publically available data base.   I might as well have thrown them into the trash can.    The only response I got was a call from a Finding Bigfoot producer,  inviting me to attend a Town Hall meeting in the area.   So as was mentioned, I would not even call what BFRO has a data base since they do not seem to accept data.  

I think that we all know by now that the BFRO has a heavy hand in filtering what goes into their reporting data base.  If it doesn't fit their narrative it doesn't make the cut.

Look at the response that the guy in the Pennsylvania trail cam thread received from them when he asked for help.

All this being said about the BFRO, whats probably sad is that I bet they do get a lot of reports because of their visibility online and on TV to the average uninterested person.  While I agree that most reports as a whole go unreported, I'd bet a majority of the uninterested folks that do report are reporting it to the BFRO.  I may be wrong but it would be my guess.   

Having said that, If they are getting a lot of reports and many are not making it to the public eye what would be the reason?   There could be many.   Having zero experience sorting and segregating reports of BF encounters I can only speculate on the vetting process.    

1. They feel its bogus

2. It reveals a detail that they choose to keep secret for various reasons.

3. Requested by individual

4. Further followup required

5.  Not BF related in their opinion.   

IDK...throwing out my thoughts..  

Edited by Twist

I bet they get a TON of reports, and either can't keep up or only post their favorites that have the best story. No blaming, it's their prerogative. I'm sure they get a bunch of hoaxers and idiots, too. 

Edited by Madison5716

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:06 AM, hiflier said:

That's not all the Spanish on the West Coast had to deal with. The author may have taken some artistic license for the sake of the novel but he quoted a Spanish report along with others that I found interesting:

"1792, Spanish naturalist, Jose Mariano Mozino, recounts from his exploration of the British Columbia coast a warning from its native peoples: '[The Matlox], inhabitant of the mountainous country, of whom all have unspeakable terror. They figure it has a monstrous body, all covered with black animal hair; the head of a Human; but the eyeteeth very sharp and strong; like those of the bear; the arms very large; and the toes and fingers armed with large curved claws. His howls fell to the ground those who hear them, and he smashes into a thousand pieces the unfortunate on whom a blow of his hands falls.' "

I'm really enjoying the book; a 200 year old secret kept to insure corporate greed regarding wealth and power from the harvesting of natural resources. In this case it's a government cover-up that's been successfully eliminating Bigfoots where ever they find them. The novel is very similar in concept to my own with a different premise and storyline.

Now I ran across this "report" as I was reading this fiction book called "Cryptid, by Eric Penz (2006). So being a work of fiction I looked around today to see if I could find some corroborating evidence of the Spanish naturalist's writings. I looked up his journal, which is extensive and so haven't gone through the whole thing but did skim through it. I kept looking around the web and came across this from 1935: https://evols.library.manoa.hawaii.edu/bitstream/10524/32432/1935.pdf

In it, of all places, there is a reference to Mozino's report:

Living on the \Vest coast beaches and cut off from the rest

of the Continent by almost impenetrable forests, the N ootka is

in no way a land hunter, being as afraid of the forest as a child

is of the dark. In his mythology, the good spirit Qua-utz, the

creator, comes with help and good tidings, in a shining canoe

from out of the far distance over the sunlit Pacific, while the

evil spirit, l\Iatlox, that brings famine, disease and death, lives in

the forest.

Here is a description of this evil one as given by the Nootka

to Don Jose Mariano Mozino, scientist of the Royal Expedition

of New Spain and of the northern limits of California in the

year 1793, one of the first Europeans to study the Nootka, if

not their discoverer. "The Matlox body is very monstrous, his

head resembling that of a human, but with claws bigger, sharper,

stronger than those of a bear and with fingers and toes armed

with long curved nails. His cries alone hurl to the ground one

that listens to them and he makes a thousand pieces of the unfortunate

who receives a blow."

Possibly only a few of the Nootka today would acknowledge

belief in this evil spirit. However, only a few years ago while

I was fishing during salmon berry time on one of the Vancouver

Island rivers, I suddenly heard a great clatter of tin cans intermingled

with shouts and cries. Then along a well marked logging

trail came a party of N ootka. While the women and children

picked the berries, the men kept up an incessant din by beating

with sticks and stones on old frying pans and coal oil tins.

When asked the reason, they said they were scaring away the

evil spirit that lives in the forest.

I think whenever we read something, even if only in a book of fiction, we owe it to ourselves to research what is written.

1 hour ago, SWWASAS said:

This is disturbing. It essentially proves that if there are a combined 7000 reports in the BFRO, Green, Byrne, and other files, there have been multiple thousands of reports to said organizations that never got recorded, not to mention the scores of thousands of encounters prior to 1967 that died with the witnesses and the scores of thousands of encounters that never get called in to anybody due to fear. 

In short, the data used to extrapolate a North America sasquatch density at 2000 to 5000 individuals is potentially way off, meaning many more creatures than I am lent to accept.