Expedition Bigfoot :Travel Channel

Big Stinky

I'm not watching the show, so no idea how this matches, but as I laugh out loud at the suggestion this is a bigfoot hotpsot. I think it could be a dummy map.

The area Explorer found is Wheeler County, with a grand total of ZERO entries in the SSR.

With a little digging I found two Oregon Bigfoot Reports that potentially can be added. (I have not read either report yet)

1627898195_HotSpotlol.thumb.jpg.b31bf4ee647b83eb552922cc8922ae53.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 1/6/2020 at 12:42 PM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I see that they took a page out of NAWAC's book with the burr tracker.  

The thermal hit that was picked up next to Mayor was handled poorly.  They show a quick shot of the screen displaying the thermal image, but then immediately cut away.  Did the thermal image move away or just disappear?  

They are all working out of the same clearing, as well as having an unknown number of camera and support crew along with them.  Given the number of people in that area, I am not sure about the bipedal thermal image that was picked up at the end of the show.

I am going to chalk this up as being a less annoying version of Finding Bigfoot.

On the tracker part, Mayor said she came up with the idea which was totally false. I believe Kathy and Bob Strain actually talked to one of the producers of the show and forwarded the link to the Tag #7 Paper on the NAWAC website.

On 1/6/2020 at 11:48 AM, SWWASAS said:

.......Permits may have been involved too as they seem to have a definite ending date.......

If it's federal land, commercial filming requires a permit.

2 hours ago, Redbone said:

I'm not watching the show, so no idea how this matches, but as I laugh out loud at the suggestion this is a bigfoot hotpsot. I think it could be a dummy map.

The area Explorer found is Wheeler County, with a grand total of ZERO entries in the SSR........

Great find, Explorer!

It's either a dummy map, or the producers think they're playing to a dummy audience. I suspect it's the latter........

• Upvote 1

As I understand it, the three week deadline was determined by constraints of their "algorithm".

I've spent over six hours searching on Google Earth using all the tricks I've learned in way too much time using the program and can't locate the area. Those 400 foot cliffs on a 6,000' peak with such a distinctive profile should not be that difficult to find if they're actually in the area specified. I have no boots on the ground experience in Oregon but that should be a pretty distinctive landmark for a local.

10 hours ago, okieman said:

On the tracker part, Mayor said she came up with the idea which was totally false. I believe Kathy and Bob Strain actually talked to one of the producers of the show and forwarded the link to the Tag #7 Paper on the NAWAC website.

I noticed that as well, clearly that idea was employed prior to the show by NAWAC.  Would have been a class act to cite that on the show.

What about around 44.251508, -120.282510?  I don't see the cliffs, but that about 2 mile long clearing is there.  That is about 15 miles SW of Explorer's center.  Still in Redbone's near zero activity region.

SSR Team
On 1/7/2020 at 12:16 AM, Explorer said:

BobbyO,

They did report (not in the show but in other articles)  that they were near the vicinity of the Ochoco National Forest,.

That is why I posted the stats above earlier.

My guess is that when they say that they used an algorithm to find the best location to investigate BFs, that does not imply to be using BF reports per se.

They might be using other parameters that they think correlate with BF habitat - like food availability (deer, elk, berries, etc), water availability (creeks, rivers, lakes), vegetation type (old growth forests, etc.), snow level in winter and spring, etc and generate an index of BF habitat per time of year in a US GIS map.

That could explain why the SSR stats does not find this location worthy of investigation, but other correlates might.

Explorer

Sorry Explorer I missed your initial post.

And I agree with you on the rest, their algorithm may/must be using other parameters to determine this location, as it certainly isn't actual sighting reports.

BFF Patron

Looking at this suspected location and the Google Earth image taken July 2  2017 I see one thing missing I think is very important for bigfoot habitat.   I see no running streams.  There may be springs that do not show but the area looks pretty dry to me.   If it is active,  all they had to do was monitor water sources.  I could not find he cliff face that was repelled either.    That suggests  44.251508, -120.282510   may not be the area.   

Algorithm.

Keep that in mind if you would for this post, please. Mayor is a PhD primatologist who spent much time in Africa observing Great Apes. She would KNOW the animal's nest building characteristics. I wrote to her website concerning the nests in the OP a while ago and haven't heard back. I wanted her to be aware of the 21 nests. But in thinking about it my guess is that she has known about them. So what if the algorithm is based on the physical descriptions of the type terrain the nests were found in? It would include things like close proximity of nesting material, a difficult region that makes the nests nearly inaccessible, or accessibile but not in a way that wouldn't alert any creatures of someone coming.

That would cover the build material as well as a large berry supply. Another feature to plug into the algorithm would be a strategic location above a steam with plenty of fish stock and a way to get up and down to the location. Also a high prominent ridge point where observation was advantageous as well as sound projection (clacking rocks. Add in a dense canopy due to relatively untouched land and a few other things into the equation and the algorithm would be ready for use.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ochoco/recarea/?recid=79448 

Edited by hiflier

BFF Patron
13 hours ago, Huntster said:

Great find, Explorer!

It's either a dummy map, or the producers think they're playing to a dummy audience. I suspect it's the latter........

Well  Dr Mayor is no dummy either.    She took on the project with the possibility that BF in North America is real.    If this area has any activity or enough evidence of activity to get her back,   she sure does not want it overrun with bigfooters.    They may be purposely hiding the location.       While she is credited with the discovery of a tiny primate,   her discovery of a giant one in North America  would be even more significant.     Especially when the rest of main stream science has rejected the possibility.  

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron
38 minutes ago, 1980squatch said:

Check out this bluff at 44.482655, -120.613801.  Some clearings nearby as well.

That matches the orientation I remember from the show with the cliff facing the SW.      It is also nearly 6000.      Additionally there is a meadow to the SW that looks like where Dr Mayor was bait.    

Edited by SWWASAS

^^^^

It looks good, but where is the lake that appears in the background of some scenes?    ... I would think it would have road access since I thought I saw boats on it in one scene.   So maybe a campground, as well?    Or  maybe my screen rez is messin' with me.

MIB

Edited by MIB

BFF Patron

Well part of the problem is that we are likely looking at a collection of clips that were stitched together to make the video.      We are assuming that they are all in the same area.   They may not be and that is why they don't make sense.  

^^^^ You may very well be right.   The almost interview -like segments might have been stage / filmed elsewhere at some other time and used to stitch other parts together.

MIB