Expedition Bigfoot :Travel Channel

Big Stinky

I must be in the minority because I like the series a lot.  They've had:

1) Thermal results, which we can debate what it was

2) A hair found that was reviewed by Jeff Medrum and found not to possess a medulla.

3) Eyeshine recorded at a tall height

4) A wood knock response in the last episode

5) A scream/howl response in an earlier episode

6) A bed discovery of some type

7) I forgot to add that on the howl that was recorded, forensic sound analysis yielded infrasound. That's significant in my opinion.

How much of this would I get if I went out for three weeks? The above seems like a lot of activity.  I'd be absolutely thrilled.

As far as the thermal recorded by Russell Acorn is concerned,  I find it very interesting. It certainly looks like something upright and walking. It also looked larger than Russell and spooked a deer.  What was it? What other choices  are there other than a human or a sasquatch and what human would be out in the dark alone in a place that is reasonably remote? I'm sure they queried and inventoried the production crew so that's out of the question.

Edited by wiiawiwb
Edited to add #7
  • Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

........ A hair found that was reviewed by Jeff Medrum and found not to possess a medulla........

Was there any discussion about dna analysis on this hair? If 40,000 year old bone fragments can yield enough dna to confirm the existence of a hominid (Denisova Man), one would thing that a hair that is virtually as fresh as a McDonalds lunch salad ought to provide something.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Was there any discussion about dna analysis on this hair? If 40,000 year old bone fragments can yield enough dna to confirm the existence of a hominid (Denisova Man), one would thing that a hair that is virtually as fresh as a McDonalds lunch salad ought to provide something.

I don't recall any DNA discussion but can watch it again. My memory tells me the only part of a hair that easily yields DNA is the follicle.  Russell Acorn found a hair in a bird's nest which is the one that had no medulla.

2 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

I don't recall any DNA discussion but can watch it again. My memory tells me the only part of a hair that easily yields DNA is the follicle.  Russell Acorn found a hair in a bird's nest which is the one that had no medulla.

Wow!  A bird's nest is an excellent place to look for hair!  Why haven't I ever thought of that? I find my dog's hair in nests when I have to knock down sparrow nests from around our eaves. So going to a place with sasquatch activity and checking out bird's nests is a stroke of minor genius. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Was there any discussion about dna analysis on this hair?

Oh c'mon, we all know by now that nothing supposedly related to Bigfoot will ever show Bigfoot, LOL. We would have had announcements galore if that were the case. Bigfoot is never going to be allowed to see the light of day. It's just not going to happen. Results will only occur publicly if samples are NOT Bigfoot. What is confirmed for me now though is that Mayor and Meldrum do know each other. So far my emails to each have gone unanswered. Is anyone taking e-DNA samples from any of the areas they have explored? Nope! Why not? Biggest discovery of the century with a primatologist on the scene. Don't they know that hair is not a good candidate for much more than morphology? But they're all over this hair and so get it to Meldrum? To what end?

The Olympic Project did the same thing. Found LOTS of hair in the nests. Gave samples to Cindy Dosen who said the samples match her stash of supposed Sasquatch hair perfectly. Again, to what end. I'm NOT being a cynic because these are the FACTS. Meldrum took e-DNA samples. To what end? This show can't hold a candle to what's been done on the nesting site- which to my knowledge has revealed nothing regarding proof of any Sasquatch. And these people get a single hair from a BIRD'S NEST??!! Hell, the nests they should be looking at are in Mason County, WA, which are at least 6 feet long!

Here's the thing: e_DNA is the only way to go and just about every scientist on the planet knows it. Even Dr. Meldrum knows it. So.....what gives? I'm not getting it.....AGAIN. Entertainment is one thing but entertainment coupled with bad or inept science is inexcusable. IDK. Maybe it's me and I've just been missing something for the last 25 pages?

6 minutes ago, hiflier said:

........The Olympic Project did the same thing. Found LOTS of hair in the nests. Gave samples to Cindy Dosen who said the samples match her stash of supposed Sasquatch hair perfectly. Again, to what end. I'm NOT being a cynic because these are the FACTS. Meldrum took e-DNA samples. To what end? This show can't hold a candle to what's been done on the nesting site- which to my knowledge has revealed nothing regarding proof of any Sasquatch.........

Seems to me that hair samples found in several areas, all lacking a medula, and with matching dna ("human") is a scientific paper begging to be published, even if one can't point at it and proclaim it to be sasquatch. You can damned sure point at it and call it a scientific question. 

• Upvote 1

Yessir! But hair still isn't the way to go and any freshman genetics student will tell you that. So here is the way it would seem to go:

"Hello, this is Dr. Meldrum."

"Yes, Dr. Meldrum, Dr. Mayor, here. I propose that we go at this with as much science as is now available to us."

"Oooookaaaay, what did you have in mind?"

"I would like to get a program going that goes to a reportedly active area and take e-DNA sample of the water, like ponds, brroks, and streams. Along with some soil samples."

"But, Dr. Mayor, you have your hair stuff, and I've looked at it. It doesn't have a medulla."

"Yeah, so?"

"Well it matches perfectly with other samples that don't have a medulla."

"So are you saying it's Sasquatch hair, Dr. Meldrum?"

"Well, no, I can't say for sure, but it matches other samples."

"Look, why don't we go out and get some DNA samples and test them just to cover all the bases?"

"Because, if we find anything positive, we're not allowed to say so. In fact I don't think I should even try. But if YOU want to....."

"Well, if we're not allowed to say we found proof if we DO find proof, then why bother?"

"Exactly."

Edited by hiflier

They did collect samples of the soil below the bedding in the nesting site. Have they reported on what they found in that sample? It looked like they were very careful not to contaminate their sample.  If it was too early for results during the filming of the series, I hope they have a follow-up show that goes through all of their findings.

3 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I must be in the minority because I like the series a lot.  They've had:

Keep in mind, my own criticism is based on 1 1/2 episodes. Looking for hair in a nest was a cool idea. It seems better as it goes along, but I'll always be bothered by the stupid background music.

So here is some manufactured drama I spoke of.

Russell had to rappel down a cliff to save time... or somebody could've driven a jeep to within 100 yards of where he was.

Every distance they mention about their positions is greatly exaggerated.

Russell's '3 day climb' was west of the base camp (44.437298, -119.814284) , not east, and there are logging roads going up there.

That whole graphic that shows the ridge east of base camp is BS. At minimum, it is flipped left to right, but it also doesn't indicate accurate N-S lines. It's tilted.

That's probably all done so that nerds like us can't figure it out. I guess they underestimated us.

Russell on the ridge is at about 44.438740, -119.866810, overlooking Rock Creek Lake, which is Southeast of his position at 44.428260, -119.830200.

845672056_EBRidgeLake.thumb.jpg.55cd30f4c870288c500d11ab38156ada.jpg

1402160554_EBRockCreekOverlook.thumb.jpg.ab2a662d64895fe36e703ef4dcdf7e99.jpg

When Russell points on the map at water sources, his finger is at about 44.435300, -119.878090, which is West Branch Rock Creek.

This may be a meaningless gesture for the camera. The lake with the name scribbled out is Rock Creek Lake (pictured above).

The 6200 ft peak he was on is slightly above, and to the right of his finger.

1406114744_EB2watersource636.thumb.jpg.4e65dc199a04801a41e34432834783fc.jpg

"W" is the ridge, and "X" is base camp. "Z" is where his finger is at. "Y" was that little lake noted in the LIDAR scan.

178656374_EBLayout.thumb.jpg.23f78c5784f0b7f80925ed3286ee3f65.jpg

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, hiflier said:

.........."Hello, this is Dr. Meldrum."

"Yes, Dr. Meldrum, Dr. Mayor, here. I propose that we go at this with as much science as is now available to us."

"Oooookaaaay, what did you have in mind?"

"I would like to get a program going that goes to a reportedly active area and take e-DNA sample of the water, like ponds, brroks, and streams. Along with some soil samples."

"But, Dr. Mayor, you have your hair stuff, and I've looked at it. It doesn't have a medulla."

"Yeah, so?"

"Well it matches perfectly with other samples that don't have a medulla."

"So are you saying it's Sasquatch hair, Dr. Meldrum?"

"Well, I'm saying that it matches nothing else out there, so if it isn't sasquatch, it's another unknown creature. No? Do youhave another explanation, Doctor?."

"Look, why don't we go out and get some DNA samples and test them just to cover all the bases?"

"I think that's a great idea. You're out there now, so good luck. But in the meantime, here in the embattled comfort of my lab here in Idaho, I'd like to publish on these hairs and force my critics to put their names on paper with their opposition."

"Why?"

"To corner them, just like we should corner a sasquatch."

• Upvote 1

And here I thought no one was reading ;) 

1 hour ago, coffee2go said:

They did collect samples of the soil below the bedding in the nesting site. Have they reported on what they found in that sample? It looked like they were very careful not to contaminate their sample

No, I think they have to wait a year and a half until they get the funding from indiegogo. It's the best way to make sure the sample is good and degraded before they run the test ;) 

I'm being facetious of course, because that's what happened to the samples from the last nesting site.  

Edited by hiflier

Good investigative work, Redbone!

I think you found it.

I find it bizarre that the show will flip the east and west directions on their show maps.

That could explain why some of crew kept using terms like "to your right or to your left", instead of true direction.

Although, I do recall some of them using directions occasionally.

Another odd item left unexplained are the yellow pad coordinates, which appear to be very different in both lat and long.  Maybe that was the prop?

BTW, I agree with you that rappelling down that cliff was all show and had no scientific or exploratory merit.  Not sure who they are trying to impress who is truly interested in BF research.