Expedition Bigfoot :Travel Channel

Big Stinky

1 hour ago, 1980squatch said:

Are they also making up sighting reports, or is there any chance these shown below in the show intro are real - all dated February to May 2019?  Note that this is about an 80 mile circle with Seneca on the east edge, with their 13 mile/ 90000 acre research area being just north of the center of this larger "hotspot" zone.  I showed a couple shots here since the text fades in and out as they zoom.

20200116_103424.jpg

20200116_103437.jpg

Interesting how a couple of the years fluctuate between the two images, like the top center midnight report: First it's 2/22/2020 (impossible!), the it's 2/22/2019? Yep, bit of a nitpick.  

Edited by hiflier

19 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Interesting how a couple of the years fluctuate between the two images, like the top center midnight report: First it's 2/22/2020 (impossible!), the it's 2/22/2019? Yep, bit of a nitpick. 

We need to get somebody at the spot on 02/22/20! They have predicted the future!

• Haha 2

On 1/13/2020 at 6:41 PM, wiiawiwb said:

I must be in the minority because I like the series a lot.  They've had:

1) Thermal results, which we can debate what it was

2) A hair found that was reviewed by Jeff Medrum and found not to possess a medulla.

3) Eyeshine recorded at a tall height

4) A wood knock response in the last episode

5) A scream/howl response in an earlier episode

6) A bed discovery of some type

7) I forgot to add that on the howl that was recorded, forensic sound analysis yielded infrasound. That's significant in my opinion.

How much of this would I get if I went out for three weeks? The above seems like a lot of activity.  I'd be absolutely thrilled.

As far as the thermal recorded by Russell Acorn is concerned,  I find it very interesting. It certainly looks like something upright and walking. It also looked larger than Russell and spooked a deer.  What was it? What other choices  are there other than a human or a sasquatch and what human would be out in the dark alone in a place that is reasonably remote? I'm sure they queried and inventoried the production crew so that's out of the question.

I just wanted to note that last night I added #7 to the list as I had forgotten all about it.  The sound recording of the howl response yielded infrasound which is a significant find, in my opinion. So, they have a thermal image, infrasound detection, hair with no medulla, eyeshine, and more. I'd call their expedition, no matter the expanse of their location (or lack thereof), a smashing success.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I must be in the minority because I like the series a lot.  They've had:

1) Thermal results, which we can debate what it was

2) A hair found that was reviewed by Jeff Medrum and found not to possess a medulla.

3) Eyeshine recorded at a tall height

4) A wood knock response in the last episode

5) A scream/howl response in an earlier episode

6) A bed discovery of some type

7) I forgot to add that on the howl that was recorded, forensic sound analysis yielded infrasound. That's significant in my opinion.

How much of this would I get if I went out for three weeks? The above seems like a lot of activity.  I'd be absolutely thrilled.

As far as the thermal recorded by Russell Acorn is concerned,  I find it very interesting. It certainly looks like something upright and walking. It also looked larger than Russell and spooked a deer.  What was it? What other choices  are there other than a human or a sasquatch and what human would be out in the dark alone in a place that is reasonably remote? I'm sure they queried and inventoried the production crew so that's out of the question.

Wiiawiwb

I really would like to debate #1)Thermal results since this has me really stumped. I can only see the heat source coming from around the stomach area but not around the arms and legs or head. This to me does not make much sense since this what would be the spot that should be most protective. In the thermal image we see the most hottest spot right there. This is like saying that they have no protective layering of hair in that area .  I would think that that in winter that they would protect this area if this is a Bigfoot. The other thing is I can not see one so fat as what I see in that thermal image.  So is it possible that this might be a fat guy wearing a coat with the coat on zipped. 

The same goes with that Buck and the way it was a alerting to what ever it was in those woods. You can see that deer stump twice on the ground as to give other deer in the area the alert as to a threat. I do not think that deer would have been alive if it was being hunted. So this makes me think that what ever was on that thermal was human and not Bigfoot.  If they were looking for a clear photo of a creature then they had their chance at that moment. They could have made a move on it . But again it is a show and ratings is what they are going after. Not sure how they make money on those shows when they show them. But it must be a lot in order to put them on their network.  

This is the dumbest program I have ever seen.

Staged bunch of lame dialog.

Just embarrassing to watch.

Edited by BlobSquatch
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I just wanted to note that last night I added #7 to the list as I had forgotten all about it.  The sound recording of the howl response yielded infrasound which is a significant find, in my opinion.

Unless I'm not recalling correctly, didn't she record that on a basic, handheld digital audio recorder? Given the frequency response of the mics on virtually every handheld device I've owned, they're not going to record anything that low. And given the laws of physics and the estimated distance she had to travel to find the suspected origination spot, there's no way an 18hz signal is going to travel thru a forest. The earth has a natural resonance of around 8 hz. There are all sorts of natural creators of low frequency energy, including air movement (even if not felt), and just holding on to the recorder can add handling noise. 

Secondary to that, it's not likely if the creatures can generate an actual infrasound frequency, it's not going to be embedded beneath an active vocalization. We've experienced countless vocalizations at close range for years and never found a hint of infrasound. I HAVE however, experienced a growl once that was so deep that it literally confused me and caused me to just stand there for a moment unable to process what had just happened. Once it was over, I was able to realize, "Wow. THAT was an unbelievable growl." 

The show manages to use a LOT of confirmation bias to validate what they want it to be. It's entertaining, but I don't count it as credible research.

• Upvote 3

GuyinIndiana...you obviously know a lot about sound recording and the physics thereof. I don't have the background or knowledge to agree with or challenge anything you've said.

Having said that, how was a sound expert, with his expensive equipment, able to detect then determine there was infrasound from that recording?

Good question. All we know is, during the time the vocal occurs he says there's an 18hz waveform "in there". But what about before and after? How was that edited together?  We don't know. I've got hundreds and hundreds of hours of audio recordings that if you just look at the spectrograph image of the file shows audio information going all the way down to the bottom of the graph. I'm not saying there ISN'T all kinds of low frequency audio information in there, but there's no of saying who and how it was made. I've even watched a paranormal show using actual equipment meant to capture infrasound (worth thousands of dollars) pick up and display an 19hz signal inside a house that to you and I would sound perfectly quite. So given the leading questions and assumptions the rest of the show is counting on using to establish 'facts', when I hear and see a barely audible sound from a mile or two away captured on a very cheap audio device and then it's given credit for infrasound, which no one seemed to be affected by when it was recorded, I'm seeing more sensationalism.

If they had captured some audio when both "RPG" and the other guy claimed to have been ill, and there was a large amount of sub 20hz noise in it, it could be compelling. This was to me, just more of the show using conjecture to confirm what he wanted to find. JMO

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

BFF Patron
8 hours ago, GuyInIndiana said:

If they had captured some audio when both "RPG" and the other guy claimed to have been ill, and there was a large amount of sub 20hz noise in it, it could be compelling. This was to me, just more of the show using conjecture to confirm what he wanted to find. JMO

Having experienced an infrasound event,   I don't buy that as the reason for RPGs illness.       It is an event that does not last very long.      For me it came in 4  blasts, each of which only lasted a few seconds.     Whatever BF does to produce it,  is likely using the airway,   and it cannot last longer than a roar would.    That would not make RPG ill for hours, unless he was simply scared half to death and did not want to admit it.    That happened with me.     It was weeks before I got back into the field after the event.     As far as them seeing sub 20 hz audio,  on a digital recording,    I did not see it at first.   I had to get different software to expand the trace enough to see it in the recording.    I doubt they had a recorder capable of recording infrasound directly.   They exist but are very expensive and only good for that.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SWWASAS said:

Having experienced an infrasound event,   I don't buy that as the reason for RPGs illness.      

While it's been MANY years for me having had one, I really got that his 'illness' was pretty much a classic rapid onset migraine. I used to get migraines, and they could just come out of no where. Then I found out between my diet, dehydration, and periods of very real personal stress, I was doing it to myself. That's what I really saw happening to him, and genuinely felt sorry for him. I've had them. They're horrible.

BFF Patron

Certainly an infrasound event would likely trigger migraines if stress triggers them.     Perhaps it would be fair to admit that infrasound could have triggered it in RPG.    I know my gut hurt the rest of the day after I got my dose.   They did not say infrasound was just a trigger but was the illness.    In a way that is one thing that bothers me about the show.   They get things mostly right but not completely right.     It is like watching local news cover things like aviation.    They get things wrong they do not understand.      

I've never put too much stock in the stories of infrasound causing illness or other affects.  If infrasound really affected everyone the way it's claimed, not too many people would be leaving a zoo smiling.  In fact, there'd be a lot of sick people from being around the elephants, hippopotamuses, rhinoceroses, giraffes, okapis, and alligators all in one day.

• Upvote 1