Expedition Bigfoot :Travel Channel

Big Stinky

"I live in tiny RV designed to respond to Bigfoot reports."

Now that's what I call dedication to the field...

ETA

i followed the attached link for squatchsquatchoregon.  The homepage is pretty much just merchandise to buy.  Anyone have any experience with Scott Violette?  Between his website and his pretty forced name-dropping if Meldrum...I honestly don't have a very good initial impression of him or his claims.  

Screenshot_20200211-160409.png

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

On 2/7/2020 at 8:56 PM, GuyInIndiana said:

Here's a post just a few hours ago on Facebook, where a guy named "Mike" apparently wrote to the guy who identifies himself as a BF researcher at in the email reply to Mike, and where he's located. He claims HE is the one who pointed the show's producers to the ranch.

"Mike Waggoner_ZvGTxrlsmm.png Here’s the email I got:
Hi Mike. Thank you for your question and willingness to get to the source and not spread rumors.

It is definitely not my ranch. I live in tiny RV designed to respond to Bigfoot reports! The ranch where they filmed is Antone Ranch, a Bed and Breakfast type rental ranch. You can look up on the internet: https://www.antoneranch.com/ The producers of the show contacted me months before they started shooting, asking about possible squatch hotspots, where they shoot, etc. I told them that the southern area of the Blue Mountains was their best bet because the snow levels would be lowest during their specified shooting window.

With that information, the producers found the ranch, which worked well for them because it had a place for them to stay and the woods nearby. The whole show was shot on the ranch. A lot of the finds like the old truck, the mine, and the lake are all tourist attractions on the ranch. They interviewed me for the show but didn't air any of that footage, more than likely because I refused to "verify" a lot of their "finds".

Every reality show has very little reality in it. I totally understand that they needed to hype a lot of stuff to make the show viable, but to be honest, they had nothing. The only really interesting thing they showed me during the interview was that thermal hit and I don't even know if that was real. They didn't interview me until 2 weeks after they finished shooting. Yes, they talked to Dr. Meldrum...2 weeks after they talked to me. I know this because I was with Dr. Meldrum during the weeks in between and we talked about it! So, with all that said, I can tell you this: the deep woods? A tourist ranch. The fancy computer algorithm? My information about snow levels and squatch reports in the area. Their findings? Established tourist attractions at the Antone Ranch that you can see on the ranch's website.

I hope I addressed your concern adequately; personally, I was pretty disappointed in the producers and the entire show. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have more questions.

Scot Violette
Baker City, OR 97814
541-403-4616

www.squatchoregon.com

Well I guess that pretty much sums it up. During the entire series I kept wondering where the cast went to shower, eat a good meal and do their laundry. That may sound odd, but having done some camping I could not go that long without a nice hot shower. In fact, I would want one every day with all of that walking. So, I would bet they stayed at the B&B and only went to the tent area to do their shoots.  If that is the case, they knew where they were from the beginning.

BFF Patron

I think your assessment is correct.     The entire thing was a fabrication.    They are going to get ripped at their first public appearance at a conference.     Actually I find their lack of honesty insulting.       They must think those interested in BF are a bunch of country bumkins who can be lead around by the nose.   WIthout this facebook post,  the forum members had pretty much already outed their subterfuge.    They probably had catering for meals.    I did not notice any video of them doing normal camp activities like meal prep or firewood gathering.    Of course fires may have been prohibited during the time they were shooting.   Dr Mayor had the look of a vegetarian to me.    When I heard of them doing 7 mile hikes at night the red flags went up for me.  

Edited by SWWASAS

While some of the participants might be Bigfoot people themselves, the network didn't make the show for Bigfoot enthusiasts.  We are a pretty small demographic.  

As long as the ratings were good, we can complain all we want.  It will fall on deaf ears.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, coffee2go said:

Well I guess that pretty much sums it up. During the entire series I kept wondering where the cast went to shower, eat a good meal and do their laundry. That may sound odd, but having done some camping I could not go that long without a nice hot shower. In fact, I would want one every day with all of that walking. So, I would bet they stayed at the B&B and only went to the tent area to do their shoots.  If that is the case, they knew where they were from the beginning.

When my son and I go camping we usually come home smelling very bad . Not even our dog will come near us and that is bad. The worst part about the whole thing is that we do not mind since we just have such a good time being out in the woods. We do take baby wipes and give our selves a smoke bath and that is about it. 

BlackRockBigfoot

You are right the network is all about ratings and does not matter about those who do go out and do real research .  The TV is a entertainment business and that is all. Their reputations does not matter to the producers as long as the job gets done. So how can we believe what they put out on the table if they now work for the entertainment.  I am one that does not want does not want to get caught up on that kind a of stuff.  I am doing just fine bringing exposure now the way I am now.

2 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

While some of the participants might be Bigfoot people themselves, the network didn't make the show for Bigfoot enthusiasts.  We are a pretty small demographic.  

As long as the ratings were good, we can complain all we want.  It will fall on deaf ears.

Bingo!   Was the show ever billed as a documentary or as entertainment?  I’m guessing entertainment.  I’m sure their main concerns are ratings and revenue.  They probably view a thread like this and laugh, not only did they get you to watch it but you took all kinds of extra time researching their information.    

10 minutes ago, Twist said:

Bingo!   Was the show ever billed as a documentary or as entertainment?  I’m guessing entertainment.  I’m sure their main concerns are ratings and revenue.  They probably view a thread like this and laugh, not only did they get you to watch it but you took all kinds of extra time researching their information.    

Also, keep in mind that the VAST majority of people who are 'into Bigfoot' are people who we would consider as having a casual interest.  Those people are probably on a Facebook group or two, watch Finding Bigfoot and shows like Expedition Bigfoot, have a Bigfoot air freshener hanging on their rearview mirror, etc.  

There will be tons of people at that convention who take the show at face value and shower them with accolades.  The hard core believers/knowers/enthusiasts will be vocal in our displeasure, but let's be honest...some of us would have done that anyway no matter how the show played out.

The Bigfoot research community is a pack of rabid wolves.  We turn on our own in a heartbeat.  We attract scam artists, snake oil salesmen, and hucksters...so I ain't saying that infighting is a bad thing.  But, that infighting does give a certain amount of cover to shows like this.  When you know upfront that you are going to have at least half of the community pull their knives out on your work, you may begin to not care about that criticism and just do whatever.  

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

BFF Patron

You know what the number one non fictional cable show is?    It is "Oak Island."   On history channel.       The watchers are people like me who know the history and follow the present exploration.   I read an account of the exploration of the island in Readers Digest when I was a young teen.       It is not anything of interest to a casual viewer.   But the show is rewriting the history of North America.  Evidence found recently is pointing to activity on the Island by Knights Templar long before the voyage of Columbus.  

With all its faults,  "Finding Bigfoot" had a lot of bigfooters as watchers who watched week to week because people like me know some of the screen characters.  Most of us did not agree with the methods and were very vocal about it.  But we watched just the same.    It is those regular watchers like with Oak Island that keep up ratings.    The casual flip through the listing viewer does little for ratings.       The Expedition Bigfoot show was transparently fake to most of us who watched.  I doubt there is a core of watchers who would keep it on the air..    They had their shot and blew it.   

Edited by SWWASAS
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

You know what the number one non fictional cable show is?    It is "Oak Island."   On history channel.       The watchers are people like me who know the history and follow the present exploration.   I read an account of the exploration of the island in Readers Digest when I was a young teen.       It is not anything of interest to a casual viewer.   But the show is rewriting the history of North America.  

With all its faults,  "Finding Bigfoot" had a lot of bigfooters as watchers who watched week to week because people like me know some of the screen characters.  Most of us did not agree with the methods and were very vocal about it.  But we watched just the same.    It is those regular watchers like with Oak Island that keep up ratings.    The casual flip through the listing viewer does little for ratings.       The Expedition Bigfoot show was transparently fake to most of us who watched.  I doubt there is a core of watchers who would keep it on the air..    They had their shot and blew it.   

Eh. You might be right that they blew it with everyone.  I do know that the main Facebook fan page on the show has turned against them pretty badly.  

Mountain Monsters is also transparently fake and it is on something like its 100th season so far. Maybe it is successful because it is so over the top that people don't care, while EB tried to pass itself off as legitimate scientific research that was going to deliver ground breaking evidence.

BFF Patron

I might believe 10th season since 100th season would predate television by a long time.  

• Confused 2

27 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

I might believe 10th season since 100th season would predate television by a long time.  

Huh.  Seems like a hundred years that show has been on.  

There is a bit of extra disappointment with this show since initial appearances seemed to address a lot of the problems we all saw with FB.  Apply some data analytics, stay in a place for a while, utilize some new and novel approaches.  Alas, all BS.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 1980squatch said:

There is a bit of extra disappointment with this show since initial appearances seemed to address a lot of the problems we all saw with FB.  Apply some data analytics, stay in a place for a while, utilize some new and novel approaches.  Alas, all BS.

Apparently, the main Facebook group that was originally a fan page is no filled with people who feel personally betrayed by this show.  

Even casual fans of the subject have their knives out.  

On 2/12/2020 at 1:53 PM, coffee2go said:

Goes to show that by the participation of the Primatologist. Even science is in to hoaxing. No wonder they don't trust others.

On 2/12/2020 at 2:37 PM, ShadowBorn said:

When my son and I go camping we usually come home smelling very bad . Not even our dog will come near us and that is bad. The worst part about the whole thing is that we do not mind since we just have such a good time being out in the woods. We do take baby wipes and give our selves a smoke bath and that is about it. 

BlackRockBigfoot

You are right the network is all about ratings and does not matter about those who do go out and do real research .  The TV is a entertainment business and that is all. Their reputations does not matter to the producers as long as the job gets done. So how can we believe what they put out on the table if they now work for the entertainment.  I am one that does not want does not want to get caught up on that kind a of stuff.  I am doing just fine bringing exposure now the way I am now.

Apply that to the news also.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Haven't read all of this thread nor have I watched many episodes of this show. But...I can see why they would stage it to be in  particular area.

1. insurance.  It is incredibly expensive to cover your angles when producing a show outdoors that treads all over the place.

2. keep travel costs limited

3. establish a habituation area as best as possible. It is much easier to work in a known area of activity on a regular basis than floating around various places where you could end up with nothing. That is what the doofs at Finding BF did. Maybe they had an inkling of activity at the location and decided their best chances of evidence was at that location.

Based on the clips I have seen, it doesn't seem hoaxed.  To hoax is a waste of everyone's time and the folks involved seem smart and legitimately interested in the subject. Also, the channel is not shady. Any network can become swoon by advertising dollars and viewer metrics but in this case,  it doesn't seem to be overhyped or oversold like the doofs at Finding BF.