Jeep camping in winter

norseman

Looks dangerous to me. As soon as my axle and frame started plowing snow, I'd chain up my front tires, and maybe the back, too. If it snowed another 6" or more, he might not get his rig out. I hope he had snowshoes (I carry snowshoes on my snowmobile, and yes, I've had to use them to get out).

I'd pull my trailer to the trailhead and go in on my snowmobile. If the authorities said I couldn't, I wouldn't go.

I used to take my swampbuggy (1976 Ford Bronco) up the Knik River valley some 20 miles in early spring and camp for days with my dog. I had a shooting camp up there where I'd test loads. Now I go to a free borough range. In fact, I'm going up there right now. :rock:

BFF Patron

^ Agreed x-country skis or snowshoe backup would be integral to safety in that situation.  Maybe a pair of gloves and hat too

Admin

That's not a Jeep.

Jeep = 2 door, soft top, manual transmission

• Haha 1

Nice editing! Good looking video.

He takes the lot of risks. I lost my RAV when i drove over a small log. It flipped over and an unseen brach ripped open the bottom of my truck. Could happen to his fancy rig, too, especially on snow covered roads, and then he'd be screwed. 

And it DOES look like fun!!

Edited by Madison5716

• 2 weeks later...

Winter camping is great! My wife and I are far more cautious with snow than him after nearly getting stuck in the middle of nowhere near Mt Adams. The snow got deep enough that our front skid plate was plowing. We decided that was too much and turned around. Shortly thereafter our back end slid toward the outside edge of the road and started dropping down the slope! Luckily we have rear and center locking differentials, which saved us. Now we're paranoid about driving in snow. 

• Haha 1

On 12/8/2019 at 12:03 PM, Lamplight said:

Winter camping is great! My wife and I are far more cautious with snow than him after nearly getting stuck in the middle of nowhere near Mt Adams. The snow got deep enough that our front skid plate was plowing. We decided that was too much and turned around. Shortly thereafter our back end slid toward the outside edge of the road and started dropping down the slope! Luckily we have rear and center locking differentials, which saved us. Now we're paranoid about driving in snow. 

I used to haul wood chips for Puget Sound TL with my old Kenworth pulling a set of doubles over forth of July and Lookout passes everyday. Kettle Falls Boise Cascade plant over to Louisiana Pacific in Missoula. They made chip board. 105,500 lbs max gross loaded over and EMPTY back.

I would chain up including drag chains of the pup trailer and say a little prayer at the top of Lookout pass which is also the ID/MT line. The Idaho side was always crummy. If you touched yer brakes going off the pass or turned yer jake on? The pup would swing out and try to pass the lead trailer. The only thing you could do was step on the accelerator. And pray that yer steer tires held going around the corners. It was a race to the bottom IF you could stay on the road. Essentially I wasn’t an 18 wheeler..... I was a 30 wheeler. And 30 wheels with no load on snow and ice sucks badly. There was always holes in the guard rail were some poor truck driver lost the battle and went in. One time it was a conex box hauler and the only thing that saved him was his tag axle on the trailer chassis. It hung up on the guard rail. You couldn’t see the tractor at all. The poor guy was probably hanging by his lap belt staring 2000 ft down into the canyon below afraid to even breath. Log truck drivers are the toughest though!

I still have nightmares....

After that getting stuck in the woods with a 4x4 seemed pretty trivial. 

• Upvote 2

I have a bunch of friends who do that sort of thing around Mt Hood, in the coast range west of Portland, and in SW Washington, but they do not go alone.    I used to ride with a spin-off from that group 15-20 years ago.    The "buddy system" and a couple winches in the group has saved the day more than once.

MIB

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, MIB said:

I have a bunch of friends who do that sort of thing around Mt Hood, in the coast range west of Portland, and in SW Washington, but they do not go alone.    I used to ride with a spin-off from that group 15-20 years ago.    The "buddy system" and a couple winches in the group has saved the day more than once.

MIB

We are good to add winches to our Blazers for that exact reason.

• Upvote 1

On 11/25/2019 at 3:13 PM, gigantor said:

That's not a Jeep.

Jeep = 2 door, soft top, manual transmission

You cannot sleep in that!

When we had the 4 door Rubicon I slept in it numerous times. Cramped but doable!

We picked up a couple of Klymit insulated sleeping pads.  I figure over the winter we will use them to sleep in the back of one of the Blazers and forget about using a tent.  

Put that back seat down and you have room to stretch out.  

4 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

We picked up a couple of Klymit insulated sleeping pads.  I figure over the winter we will use them to sleep in the back of one of the Blazers and forget about using a tent.  

Put that back seat down and you have room to stretch out.  

A Blazer? Tell me more! Got pics?