DrBunsonHoneyDew

Bigfoot keeps showing up in SE Oklahoma Yard - Gets Shadows on Camera

NatFoot
BFF Donor
7 hours ago, hiflier said:

Yeah, me too LOL. I mean, why should we even have to ask a scientist to address this issue? Dr. Meldrum isn't demanding that science take this. Why not? Maybe we don't have to knock on ANY doors the way I've been trying to do. Maybe we can just have Dr. Meldrum do it for us. He's already there after all, right? And so is Dr. Mayor in that "Expedition" show. She could work with Dr. Meldrum and the Jane Goodall Institute and get people on this. These are PhD's with an "in" to science. They should stop fooling around with it and get serious with more scientific boots on the ground. A widespread e-DNA program is the very least, and inexpensive, approach they should be pushing for. Forget the indiegogo fundraising jerk-around.. There are enough institutions and academies of science tripping over themselves tenfold that can tackle this thing head-on. No excuses. Biggest discovery of the century and only one PhD at a time works on it? Ridiculous. Get on it.

Or am I not making any sense here. Flawed logic perhaps? I don't think so.

Time for your subforum clearly laying out the plan (email templates, talking points, how tos on how to properly collect and submit samples, etc) and linked to a GoFundMe project for raising money for the purchase of kits to send to researchers here (baby steps) who are proven to be out in the field.

That effort would go much further than anything happening now.

If the Lane County folks can get one...you should be able to as well.

• Upvote 1

hiflier
BFF Donor
1 hour ago, NatFoot said:

Time for your subforum clearly laying out the plan

Yep, thanks, working on that :) 

BlackRockBigfoot
BFF Donor
10 hours ago, hiflier said:

Yeah, me too LOL. I mean, why should we even have to ask a scientist to address this issue? Dr. Meldrum isn't demanding that science take this. Why not? Maybe we don't have to knock on ANY doors the way I've been trying to do. Maybe we can just have Dr. Meldrum do it for us. He's already there after all, right? And so is Dr. Mayor in that "Expedition" show. She could work with Dr. Meldrum and the Jane Goodall Institute and get people on this. These are PhD's with an "in" to science. They should stop fooling around with it and get serious with more scientific boots on the ground. A widespread e-DNA program is the very least, and inexpensive, approach they should be pushing for. Forget the indiegogo fundraising jerk-around.. There are enough institutions and academies of science tripping over themselves tenfold that can tackle this thing head-on. No excuses. Biggest discovery of the century and only one PhD at a time works on it? Ridiculous. Get on it.

Or am I not making any sense here. Flawed logic perhaps? I don't think so.

Scientific research receives funding in one of a few different ways.... institutional (colleges and universities), corporate (you could include entertainment with this),or governmental.  Each of them provide funding for specific reasons.  They look for a return on their investment, it is for academic prestige which could add to their reputation/value, it is a personal project/philanthropic in nature, or they expect the results of the research to further their personal agendas.  

It is difficult for scientists to look into the subject of Bigfoot, because they do not have the funding and resources of a large organization behind them.  Idaho State seems like they are somewhat tolerant and possibly even slightly supportive of Meldrum, but they certainly don't seem to be giving him a great deal of funding to research this topic closely.  Even Brian Sykes mostly worked with samples that were supplied to him.  He wasn't out on well funded year long expeditions looking for the Yeti.  

Right now, I don't see any large organizations seeing a return on their investment if funding efforts to look into the matter of Sasquatch.  The most funding that research on the subject is going to get is from entertainment companies looking for the next reality show.  That leaves efforts to be funded by those of us who are interested in the field.

Of course, the government may be involved with research of their own that we are unaware of for their own unknown reasons.

• Thanks 1

hiflier
BFF Donor

This has been way off topic so will make this my last post in this thread on the matter. I thank everyone for their patience. No one, university or otherwise has to look specifically for an unknown primate in the field. That's the point. E-DNA sample are not all taken perfectly, we all know that. Some come back contaminated with Human DNA. Academic institutions who fund e-DNA know this very well. Even if they are looking to track a salamander or an invasive species, the markers for the Human species is well known. That's how they determine contamination in the first place, right? In fact, all kinds of known creatures, both terrestrial and aquatic, will appear in a sample. We all know how e-DNA works by now. But it's the same old story, Human contamination gets the sample tossed. Sound familiar? 

So what I'm saying is that samples from the field are ALREADY being taken, hundreds of thousands of them by universities and F&W biologists everywhere. Sasquatch DNA, therefore, has already been collected. I hope folks can understand what I'm saying here. I'll repeat: Sasquatch DNA has already been collected. All it would take would be a review of the "Human" contaminated samples BEFORE they get tossed. Universities and F&W are not looking closely at those contaminated samples for odd markers. THAT is the message academia and F&W need to receive from us. I don't imagine many samples in a batch indicate "contamination" but the few that do need to be thoroughly looked at. And that is the request they should be receiving. Even I have completely missed the boat on that one. Because the thought only occurred to me this morning.

Rechecking existing samples already procured from the field would be a heck of a lot easier and cheaper that the cost of new kits and sending people out simply to look for Sasquatch DNA. 

Edited by hiflier

BlackRockBigfoot
BFF Donor
56 minutes ago, hiflier said:

This has been way off topic so will make this my last post in this thread on the matter. I thank everyone for their patience. No one, university or otherwise has to look specifically for an unknown primate in the field. That's the point. E-DNA sample are not all taken perfectly, we all know that. Some come back contaminated with Human DNA. Academic institutions who fund e-DNA know this very well. Even if they are looking to track a salamander or an invasive species, the markers for the Human species is well known. That's how they determine contamination in the first place, right? In fact, all kinds of known creatures, both terrestrial and aquatic, will appear in a sample. We all know how e-DNA works by now. But it's the same old story, Human contamination gets the sample tossed. Sound familiar? 

So what I'm saying is that samples from the field are ALREADY being taken, hundreds of thousands of them by universities and F&W biologists everywhere. Sasquatch DNA, therefore, has already been collected. I hope folks can understand what I'm saying here. I'll repeat: Sasquatch DNA has already been collected. All it would take would be a review of the "Human" contaminated samples BEFORE they get tossed. Universities and F&W are not looking closely at those contaminated samples for odd markers. THAT is the message academia and F&W need to receive from us. I don't imagine many samples in a batch indicate "contamination" but the few that do need to be thoroughly looked at. And that is the request they should be receiving. Even I have completely missed the boat on that one. Because the thought only occurred to me this morning.

Rechecking existing samples already procured from the field would be a heck of a lot easier and cheaper that the cost of new kits and sending people out simply to look for Sasquatch DNA. 

Gotcha.

VAfooter

I wonder if these would be of any use in this situation? Probably pricey, but potentially very valuable as an intruder alarm and location indicator I would think.

https://www.ara.com/pathfinder

https://www.evpudefence.com/p-seismic-systems-unattended-ground-sensors

https://senstar.com/products/buried-sensors/

https://www.sensoguard.com/standalone-detectors/

I wonder if there is a "poor man" version of these somewhere. I have seen Vietnam era equipment like this advertised at military surplus shops, but nothing very recent. Looking around the Internet, there appears to be plenty of plans for homemade earthquake detectors 

that are relatively cheap, but not sure if they could be modified to pick up footsteps (even a 400-600 lb animal) in a useful manner. Anyway, a thought....

wiiawiwb
BFF Donor

Those are some serious high-tech security systems.

SWWASAS

As I mentioned in the low tech thread,   Amazon has geophone detectors.      A couple of those and a low cost battery operated  two trace oscilloscope would make a low budget detector quite capable of not only picking up bigfoot footsteps but give a general bearing in which they were made.    We spend hours and hours in the woods without any idea what is around us.   This tech stuff is getting low cost enough that with proper application we could no longer have to be blind in the woods.  

Foxhill
BFF Donor

This is relatively inexpensive https://www.cuddeback.com/ cool concept, maybe a Bigfoot sugar daddy could pony up and put the mystery to bed. 

• Like 1

VAfooter
2 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

As I mentioned in the low tech thread,   Amazon has geophone detectors.      A couple of those and a low cost battery operated  two trace oscilloscope would make a low budget detector quite capable of not only picking up bigfoot footsteps but give a general bearing in which they were made.    We spend hours and hours in the woods without any idea what is around us.   This tech stuff is getting low cost enough that with proper application we could no longer have to be blind in the woods.  

Amazon has the geophones for $135 including shipping.

These folks have them for $60: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11744

If you are willing to go Chinese, they have them for $7 each: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/GD-10-geophone-seismic-Sensor-detector_1032606314.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.18.64c9539cQrhNF1

I will not speak as to the quality or if they are the right kind, but you could build quite a sensor network with prices like that. If you are interested in that sort of thing and have the talent to build one, it is probably worth the financial risk to try it out.

SWWASAS

The Amazon ones and the Sparkfun ones appear to be the same devices.   I bet all of them are made in China.   Probably used for their border and military security applications and produced by the thousands.       These things operate well into the infrasound range so you are not going to as get much out of them using them as a simple microphone.     You won't be able to hear all that they can detect.   However feed the signal to a digital oscilloscope, and you can not only detect very distant faint signals but signals well down into the infrasound range which are transmitted great distances through the ground.     The more solid the rock he better the range.    Might take some experience to differentiate a biped from an elk but that is something that can be practiced.      With two or more devices feeding a multichannel oscilloscope, you should be able to figure out where relative to your sensor locations, where the signal is originating from from the graphics traces.      That should give you the ability to get a rough bearing.   Just knowing something big is out there moving about is valuable information.  

Set up the sensors and have a buddy walk back and forth some distance from the sensors.   Watching that for a while should give you some idea what is going on and where it is.   

Edited by SWWASAS

JustCurious

I'm just wondering if imdyinbitch's activity has dried up since the family left, or if he's just not posting?  For his sake, I hope they've left the area.

I don't think the sensor system would work with the dogs, donkey, deer and horses out there.  I'd think there would be a lot of false alarms involved.

Imdyinbitch
13 minutes ago, JustCurious said:

I'm just wondering if imdyinbitch's activity has dried up since the family left, or if he's just not posting?  For his sake, I hope they've left the area.

I don't think the sensor system would work with the dogs, donkey, deer and horses out there.  I'd think there would be a lot of false alarms involved.

I wanna say it's drying up..But I also have not put in a  fraction of the time I was when I was trying to verify they where real and coming near my house...with the kids not here, Im not drivin out of concern for there safety as when they where here...

man I never thought I would have to move my kids, having to change schools mid year because of BF? I still have trouble wrapping my head around all of this..

I still arm the cameras every night...I don't sleep with headphones on and the camera audio on anymore..but I'll never be able to walk across the yard without scanning the treeline as I go..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

BFF Donor

If it was a bigfoot family it's a scary thought indeed that it appears that their focal point were the children .

• Upvote 1

BlackRockBigfoot
BFF Donor
9 hours ago, 7.62 said:

If it was a bigfoot family it's a scary thought indeed that it appears that their focal point were the children .

You see that time and again in reports... for whatever reason these creatures seem to pay an inordinate amount of attention to children.  

Some people think that they are just curious or even want to befriend the kids.  I think that they are opportunistic predators at best and see an easy meal.  I find some of their alleged behavior especially unsettling...making faces at the kids and then motioning for them to come outside.  If that is mimicking human behavior, then these things are observing humans pretty regularly through their windows.  If it is not simply mimicking, then they are intelligent enough to understand basic human interaction... enough to try and lure the kids out as opposed to just busting through the windows and grabbing them. 

You saw similar activity with the people who were involved in the Devil's Creek case.  Whatever was in the woods around their home was able to mimic the homeowner's calls for their dogs...as if it was trying to draw the animals away from the home and into the woods 

• Like 1