Can't discuss bigfoot with friends, and family.

georgerm

3 hours ago, BobbyO said:

Family and friends are out of the question for me.

I live in a different world where Sasquatch isn't ever a topic of conversation.

I speak with my fingers instead ! Haha

My mother, father and wife know I have an interest and believe.

Me speaking to my best friend about what I thought at the time could MAYBE be a BF was the straw that broke the camel's back for us.

I could have been a better friend, but that one hurt. Hope you're doing well, Mark.

15 hours ago, NatFoot said:

My mother, father and wife know I have an interest and believe.

Me speaking to my best friend about what I thought at the time could MAYBE be a BF was the straw that broke the camel's back for us.

I could have been a better friend, but that one hurt. Hope you're doing well, Mark.

What happened with your friend?

My son-in-law has been hunting the forest of southern Oregon since he was old enough to carry a rifle. He has never seen a bigfoot, and he believes he has seen all the animals that exist. He said he has seen over 500 bears. It's time for him to see bigfoot. He is at risk while hunting because a close up bigfoot encounter has cause some hunters PTSD. 

Some hunters may shoot one not knowing the consequences. Bigfoots usually are out in groups and shooting one will probably bring the others in for a revenge kill. An Oregon BFRO report describes a guide who is mauled and killed by bigfoot after he shot one. To be safe in the woods, we need to know what's out there and how it acts. Any ideas on how to get hard core hunters to know bigfoots are out there? If you can find the BFRO report post it. What can you say to people like my son-in-law? 

• Downvote 1

Pretty much anyone who spends any time around me knows about my interest in the subject.  I am sure that some of them think that it is ridiculous, but I think that some of the crap that they are interested in is laughable myself.  Don't get me started on golf or fantasy football leagues.  

The point is, most of the people who think that interest in this field is ridiculous know nothing more about it than the 'fact' that it is fake.  They don't really know anything about it...much like I have little to no knowledge about golf or fantasy football.  I think that those things are silly but it doesn't occupy up enough of my thoughts to really spend much time debating people about it.  

Those of you who are having trouble with family and friends over this subject...can I ask if you have allowed your interest in it to take over your entire life?  Maybe it is a problem because that is all that you talk about.  I ask because I have been guilty of that in the past myself.  :lol:

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, georgerm said:

What can you say to people like my son-in-law? 

Possibly nothing.    You have to remember that he is an adult.   You cannot force him to believe no matter how much you might wish to.    What he believes is his responsibility, not yours.   Offer the information, but acceptance is up to him.    So is rejection.   Even if there is a fatal consequence.    Sometimes you have to do the best you can, then let go.    Consider the possibility that you have as big a problem via wanting to force belief on him as he does rejecting belief.    The only person in this life you have control of is yourself.    So do what you can for him, but then focus on you, focus on accepting his adult choice as his right regardless of how wrong you think that choice is.    ... sorry I don't have anything better for you, but I think that is the best there is.

MIB

• Upvote 1

Well put MIB. I have reached that point, and my desire to bring others into the world of bigfoot has dropped off. I no longer talk with my son-in-law about it, and you are so right. thanks for your take.........

What I've been doing is asking local loggers, hunters, and general outdoor people if they have seen bigfoot in a passive way and even act as if it's a joke. This happens maybe once a month since I don't socialize with these people much. Last week, a road builder friend and I were talking, and I popped the question mildly on him. darn ....................... no bigfoot sighting so I dropped the conversation. His brother is his boss, and they build roads in the most remote parts of southern Oregon. Last year his brother told me he found foot prints. So far in our area about 5 people have told me of their bigfoot experiences. One fellow from far behind watched a bigfoot sitting on a log looking for deer. 

My wife and I are going for a ride today up a squachy river canyon today! I haven't been getting out much since being operated on for prostate cancer is causing me fatigue. 

Do you ask people if they have seen bigfoot?

What can you say if they mock you for believing in bigfoot?

You can read my sighting report in the BFRO report section under Jackson County, Oregon.

Anyone else have this mocking problem with family or friends?

Edited by georgerm
add more

All of my extended family know of my sighting 40+ years ago, and not 1 has ever given me any flack over it. Just 1 long time friend has outright rejected the idea, and we still hunt together, and talk about everything else but that.

Georgerm, I too am a prostate cancer survivor, with radiation treatment 8 years ago, and removal, along with the bladder, 2 years ago. Recovery can be a tough road, but with a positive attitude, you'll get through it and get back to a relatively normal life sooner than you think.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, georgerm said:

Well put MIB. I have reached that point, and my desire to bring others into the world of bigfoot has dropped off. I no longer talk with my son-in-law about it, and you are so right. thanks for your take.........

What I've been doing is asking local loggers, hunters, and general outdoor people if they have seen bigfoot in a passive way and even act as if it's a joke. This happens maybe once a month since I don't socialize with these people much. Last week, a road builder friend and I were talking, and I popped the question mildly on him. darn ....................... no bigfoot sighting so I dropped the conversation. His brother is his boss, and they build roads in the most remote parts of southern Oregon. Last year his brother told me he found foot prints. So far in our area about 5 people have told me of their bigfoot experiences. One fellow from far behind watched a bigfoot sitting on a log looking for deer. 

My wife and I are going for a ride today up a squachy river canyon today! I haven't been getting out much since being operated on for prostate cancer is causing me fatigue. 

You can read my sighting report in the BFRO report section under Jackson County, Oregon.

I ask people if they have any experience with Bigfoot or other strange phenomena... however, I don't just dive into the question if I can help it.  A little small talk about inconsequential daily stuff to begin and then I will usually kind of mention what I am out doing in the area.  Depending on the response that I get will determine if I try to continue the conversation and ask if they have any experience.

I have to say though, georgerm...it sounds like this bothers you a bit.  If you bring this subject up to people who are non-believers...you are going to catch some flak for it eventually.  That goes hand in hand with investigating something that most people think is a myth.  I am sure that everyone in this field has dealt with it before.  You either need to learn to shrug it off...or just not engage people in conversation about this particular topic until you get a good read on them. 

On 12/14/2019 at 8:46 AM, wiiawiwb said:

I've always said I want things to stay exactly as they are. I do NOT want a formal recognition of sasquatch.  It will spell doom for them.  Humans can't protect elephants, rhinoceros, male lions,  bengal tigers, silverbacks, and more. The list goes on and on. I hope the body never arrives for science to finally recognize. 

All of those species would be gone if it wasn’t for global recognition and funds organized arms patrols to protect them.

https://qz.com/india/908867/kazirangas-ruthless-rangers-have-reduced-rhino-poaching-by-simply-gunning-down-poachers-at-sight/

On 1/2/2020 at 3:52 AM, Arvedis said:

Sounds like a lot of energy to prove your point.  It's all about the audience. A general audience is ready to pounce on anything out of their comfort zone. Most bigfooters struggle with sharing their experiences and opinions outside the BF community.  My take is if the setting is business then keep it about business. If its people familiar with the subject, family, friends, social media, all varies and there is need to show judgment in what you say no matter how comfortable the situation.  Otherwise, you get the tables turned and there are repercussions. I'm not speaking from personal experience because I know my audience.

Again, audience. Not everyone is living in that world or cares to hear the details.

I agree and never mix business with pleasure. None of my clients know I have an interest in sasquatch. Only my family and friends do.

4 minutes ago, norseman said:

All of those species would be gone if it wasn’t for global recognition and funds organized arms patrols to protect them.

https://qz.com/india/908867/kazirangas-ruthless-rangers-have-reduced-rhino-poaching-by-simply-gunning-down-poachers-at-sight/

You're making my point.  Many of those species must be protected with armed guards.  Right now, sasquatches are free to roam around and live their lives on their terms. The animals listed above live their lives on our terms.

19 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

You're making my point.  Many of those species must be protected with armed guards.  Right now, sasquatches are free to roam around and live their lives on their terms. The animals listed above live their lives on our terms.

Quite the opposite. 

Grand Coulee dam took the salmon on the upper Columbia River. Extinct. Logging. Construction. Roads. Mining. Imagine the forests before Seattle, Portland and the I-5 corridor. 

Bigfoot if it still exists lives in a ever changing world shaped by humans with no regard for its well being. Because it’s a myth. That’s not living on your own terms.

The animals being protected right now have humans in their corner who do care about their well being.

1 hour ago, georgerm said:

Generally not specifically.   Rather, when someone asks what I did last weekend or the like, I tell them I spent a chunk of time in the woods trying to locate the source of some very unusual tracks I found or trying to identify what made some calls I heard and recorded.   The implication is that I have physical evidence that I'm trying to account for in a way I'm comfortable rather than trying to pretend it away.   It opens the door for them to share experience or ask questions.

I invite them to listen to my audio and identify the source.   I show them the track casts and invite them to explain those.    If they have the background in science, I lay out the evidence, consistency, time-line of reports, etc, and ask them how likely it is that a hoax on that scale could go on for over 400 years, across cultures, without the hoaxers being found out.    It's Occam's Razor.

Not anymore.   :)    First thing is to get over being ashamed, over being defensive.    Go on offense.   If someone wants to mock you, confront them with the evidence and challenge them to account for it in a serious way.  That doesn't mean being rude, it just means not putting up with any crap, and it starts with being prepared to turn the tables.

MIB

50 minutes ago, norseman said:

Quite the opposite. 

Grand Coulee dam took the salmon on the upper Columbia River. Extinct. Logging. Construction. Roads. Mining. Imagine the forests before Seattle, Portland and the I-5 corridor. 

Bigfoot if it still exists lives in a ever changing world shaped by humans with no regard for its well being. Because it’s a myth. That’s not living on your own terms.

The animals being protected right now have humans in their corner who do care about their well being.

I would submit that sasquatches don't need anyone in their corner. They seem to be doing just fine based on the number of reports that keep coming from all over the country. I'd rather decide myself where I go than have an armed guard following my every move and a tracking collar permanently affixed to my neck.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

I would submit that sasquatches don't need anyone in their corner. They seem to be doing just fine based on the number of reports that keep coming from all over the country. I'd rather decide myself where I go than have an armed guard following my every move and a tracking collar permanently affixed to my neck.

Even if that meant the extinction of your species?

They seem to be doing ok? How are salmon, woodland caribou, lynx and wolverine doing? Are they ok too? How is it that Bigfoot is apart of the ecosystem and yet somehow detached from it in your mind?

Ultimately this is all conjecture. Real data comes with species recognition and study.

Your simply willing to roll the dice based on “faith”.

I have no such faith. The data shows that species are better off discovered and helped. Than to be ignored and paved over. And even then it’s a precarious path.

In the case of the woodland caribou? The reintroduction of another endangered species the Wolf was their undoing in the lower 48.

Grizzlies are making a comeback too. Will this be beneficial in a world of dwindling resources?

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

.......Those of you who are having trouble with family and friends over this subject...can I ask if you have allowed your interest in it to take over your entire life?  Maybe it is a problem because that is all that you talk about.  I ask because I have been guilty of that in the past myself.  :lol:

Sasquatchery includes (is consumed by?) the incredible aspect of homo sapien psychology regarding the subject. I often find that psychology more fascinating than the creatures themselves.

At this point in my life I appear to be facing a final crisis of communication. It is coming to a head because of the inability of my wife and I to communicate......at all. In short, some time ago, I simply gave up trying. That also came in stages. First I gave up trying to read her mind, then gave up trying to express mine. The primary reason for this was my failure to accurately read her mind (imagine that!), and the fact that she both couldn't (or wouldn't) comprehend the most basic and carefully crafted language I used to communicate to her, or got angry or distressed with me about what I said. Over time, I shut down. Now in crisis mode, and forced to try again, I have to point out that it isn't just her and me, or me and the world. This entire planet appears to be unable or unwilling to effectively communicate to each other. This crisis clearly includes every homo sapien on Earth. The only commonality there seems to be is disagreement. And now, at least for me, it appears that I cannot even remain silent in peace. For every human in existence, and for every possible subject, and regardless of how obvious the problem with it is, every utterance or even perceived or projected thought about it is the source of disagreement, which then becomes the actual problem.

Hell, people even wander the streets aimlessly torn within themselves over inner disagreements regarding reality. They don't even need others to disagree about it with them. They have found a way to disagree with themselves about the most basic and critical subjects, and are consumed by that inner turmoil to the point of even failing to satisfy the most basic physical needs identified by Maslow. And, of course, they blame everybody else for their turmoil, and everybody else disagrees about what to do about it, or that the crisis even exists, even though it is there before our very eyes.

In such a social environment, I find sasquatchery to be moot. Really, why even broach the subject when we cannot agree that we ought to fix the potholes in the road before changing the signs regulating who can enter which lavatory, especially when the guardians of biology are at each other's throats over the evidence of both sasquatchery and human gender and will fight like the banshees from Hell at any suggestion to spend any of "their" money to put either question to rest.

In short, this entire subject is no more than entertainment for me anymore especially when sasquatchery characters appeared relatively recently saying that they leave cigarettes and Bic lighters on tree stumps for their private sasquatches to smoke at their nightly leisure, or that sasquatches from Planet X come and go through space/time portals that are apparently everywhere.........and nowhere.

• Like 2

We can't even decide among the bigfoot world what they are . Sometimes i think we are our own worse enemy so talking about it to people who don't believe is pointless.  All you have to do is Google it and we have sites saying they are aliens because they always appear when strange lights or orbs are seen. Then you have the NA who many claim they are spirits.  Then you have the crowd who Vulcan mind wells with them.      Then we have the portal groups. Did I miss anything.  And these are all believers so any casual observer I can understand why they might think we are nuts if you mention it

• Upvote 1