Madison5716

Barefoot Prints & Tracklines

hiflier
BFF Donor

Perfect, Northwind. Thank you. Is it time to find a vertebrate zoologist, grab them by the ear and drag them out there with an e-DNA kit or two? My own thinking is to maybe start thinking along those lines?

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

NorthWind
BFF Donor

I may be able to contact someone I know who is in in regular contact with Cindy Dosen. She just does hair samples though, (I think). Outside of that, I don't know. Cliff Barackman is pretty much the only other contact I have. I certainly don't know (nor can I afford) anyone with eDNA equipment. 

hiflier
BFF Donor

See my PM

Madison5716
BFF Donor
17 hours ago, hiflier said:

And now for some speculation by you folks: Why do you think so many prints?

I think the littles like to play in the mud, in the dark of night. 

Young ones of every species play in their own way. Also, a mud flat play area also involves risk - and littles take more risks than seasoned, wiser adults.

It must be beautiful out there on a crisp winter night, under the stars. I hope we get to do a night time investigation soon. Maybe after the holidays.

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 1

NorthWind
BFF Donor

OK, here is the footage that I shot of that same day.

https://youtu.be/VoYANnRnunY

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Tylo

Absolutely wonderful photos!  I admire your efforts!  I live in an area with hard clay, rocks, a little topsoil, it would be fascinating to see all kinds of prints in sand and open areas.  Rocks, debris and overall hardness of the ground makes it difficult to find animal prints here.  I do get a laugh whenever I find prints in my newly tilled garden.  Tiny hands and hooves usually show up quickly. 

• Upvote 1

Crtclthnkr

Here in NC, our reservoirs recede and refill frequently. Depending on current, etc, some areas will have debris, others will not. Many people, myself included, take off shoes to walk in it--in part, because the soils usually still have a high moisture content.  Because of that moisture content, and depending on soil types, definition of tracks/footprints can be lost. These look like ordinary footprints to me.. and your measurements (thanks!) Seem to confirm. But if you dont want to believe me, contact soils scientists, sediment experts, limnoligists for further information. 

Crtclthnkr

The University of Wyoming reports that there are approximately 2,000 steps in one mile, so the average step length is 2.6 feet or about 31 inches. For shorter people, the "average" could be considerably less —as low as 18 inches for someone who is 5 feet, 2 inches tall.

<I am under 5ft tall, consistently walk 1 mile in 2050 steps>

This means that for the average person, the approximate distance from the initial point of contact of your left heel and the initial point of contact of your right heel is just over 30 inches. The average stride length, or two steps, is just over 60 inches, or a little more than five feet.

gigantor
BFF Donor
4 hours ago, Crtclthnkr said:

Here in NC, our reservoirs recede and refill frequently. Depending on current, etc, some areas will have debris, others will not. Many people, myself included, take off shoes to walk in it-

The difference is that the prints presented here are not in warm NC, but in chili Oregon.

4 hours ago, Crtclthnkr said:

I am under 5ft tall

How old are you?

• Haha 1

hiflier
BFF Donor

More importantly, why would you risk a fishhook along the banks of a receded water level?

MIB
BFF Donor
8 hours ago, Crtclthnkr said:

The University of Wyoming reports that there are approximately 2,000 steps in one mile, so the average step length is 2.6 feet or about 31 inches. For shorter people, the "average" could be considerably less —as low as 18 inches for someone who is 5 feet, 2 inches tall.

<I am under 5ft tall, consistently walk 1 mile in 2050 steps>

This means that for the average person, the approximate distance from the initial point of contact of your left heel and the initial point of contact of your right heel is just over 30 inches. The average stride length, or two steps, is just over 60 inches, or a little more than five feet.

Depends on the activity you're engaged in.    Even if I'm trying to cover ground, my step length varies with surface .. asphalt vs gravel vs groomed trail vs cross country through the woods over logs and stuff.   That step length is considerably longer than my step length when I'm hunting.    And each of those varies depending on how much load I'm carrying and sometimes with temperature because it changes which clothes I'm wearing, how stiff they are, etc.   To further complicate things, it takes me nearly 2 miles to warm up, loosen up, and truly comfortably "step out" if I'm trying to make distance so my step length at the parking lot might be 3-4 inches less than what it will be later when I'm warmed up.    No one single number is going to be right even for one person.   We can, however, look at lines of tracks that extend over a mile and have a step length over 40 inches, sometimes over 50 inches, without the characteristics of running tracks, and know we're seeing something unusual, something beyond the ability of any known athlete to reproduce.

MIB

Madison5716
BFF Donor

January 25, 2020. At the Charmed Lake,  we found more prints. Same 11, 8 and 6 inchers, less than a week old, probably only a few days old. 

Screenshot_20200125-232828_Video Player.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 1

Madison5716
BFF Donor

Date & Time - Saturday, February 22, 2020 from 11:30 - 2:00pm

Weather - Around 40° F, depending on cover 

Location  - The Charmed Lake,  Oregon Cascades 

What Happened- NorthWind and I went to the lake. We found both booted prints, barefoot prints and indeterminate prints along a mile of lakeshore. My video is terrible and basically unwatchable, but we found the same prints for the fifth time PLUS what seems to be a bigger 13-14" print. There was just one beautiful print, and more of the same general size that weren't as clean. It was in duff type soil, but the ties were clearly visible. It was cool!

Obviously, we've hit pay dirt. Our next step is to try for a thermal at night, before spring comes and they hightail it for the higher elevations. 

Screenshot_20200223-093153_Video_Player.jpg

20200222_122309.jpg

After poking around at the Reservoir for a while, we explored a "bigfoot highway", a powerline with a parallel rosd. Nothing jumped out at us as interesting.  Then, we headed out further, to where NorthWind has had some success last year before we met. We drove up the mountains into the snow, and walked around but just got cold, so we left.

A nice day!

20200222_152952.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 2

gigantor
BFF Donor
13 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Obviously, we've hit pay dirt. Our next step is to try for a thermal at night

That would be awesome!

BlackRockBigfoot
BFF Donor

@Madison5716