Barefoot Prints & Tracklines

Madison5716

On 2/23/2020 at 9:40 AM, Madison5716 said:

.......Obviously, we've hit pay dirt.........

Yes, it appears that you have. Congratulations, and good work! It is essentially a Bluff Creek habitat prior to October of 1967. You have a family there, including a very young individual(s). 

I hope you keep that lake monitored. As you anticipate, it will be interesting to see when footprint activity ends for the season. 

May I make a suggestion? Contact the Oregon Fish & Wildlife Area Biologist for that specific location and asks about seasonal deer movements. I bet he/she would  inadvertently tell you where your sasquatch family will be relocating for the summer.........

I may do that, thanks. And I'm thinking we may already have a clue. Stay tuned! I hate summer weather, but the squatching may prove very interesting. 

Just a pretty river picture. 

20200222_123409.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 11 months later...

March 6, 2021

We will be exploring this trackline and the area around it soon! They were around 48 inches heel to heel.

The tracks are on the left and human bootprints on the right.

20210306_191024.jpg

• Upvote 3

Patty had a 41" stride if memory serves me.  Your 48" stride length is 17% longer.  A male? 

As Hiflier mentioned, I'd scoop up some of the snow in those prints and keep it for a little while.  It would be interesting to see what secrets it might yield through e-DNA. 

• Upvote 1

I would be more than happy to detail that process and answer any questions in my "Sasquatch e-DNA Project" thread :)

8 hours ago, hiflier said:

I would be more than happy to detail that process and answer any questions in my "Sasquatch e-DNA Project" thread :)

If it's simple, sure. I hope to get up there this coming weekend, but I am not sure. I may be moving. My life is in turmoil right now, but I'll make it through. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I think. :)

The hard part (it's not that hard) would be to contact someone at Oregon State University either in microbiology https://microbiology.oregonstate.edu/  or zoology   https://oregonstate.edu/academic-programs/zoology and ask if they would be open to running any samples through metabarcoding. The cost could be only tens of dollars, not hundreds like with a private lab, as they may be open to running your samples along with others.

At some point soon (later tonight or tomorrow) I will post specific details regarding how to collect and store of samples in that thread I mentioned.

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Wow, what a great find. That is a very large print and to see toes that visible is amazing. Did you cast it, by chance? Did you notice any other qualities of the print...midtarsal break, heel impression, etc?

I hope the two of you are back in that area soon for an overnight.

The moss that it was in was really dry and fragile, and underneath the moss was loose powdery dirt, and stone under that. I doubt that casting would have been very effective. Additionally, it was on a slight angle. Not much in midtarsal break or heel was visible. In fact, the pictures came out better than I thought they would.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hiflier said:

Any follow up plan?

You know, it's a mind boggler that we measured this, took a couple of photos, and then just left! Why did that happen? I don't know. I mean, that's why we were there for gosh sakes! Could we have gotten "zapped", I wonder?

Anyway, yes. We went out there after work last night and used some hair spray to stabilize the substrate and we cast it. 

I have to go to work, but will clean it up later. 

20210712_190731.jpg

20210712_202119.jpg

• Upvote 2