The "How To Hunt" Channel and Sasquatch Commentary

WSA

42 minutes ago, Airdale said:

Interesting BFRO report in light of your post above MIB........

Interesting report. 

Never run. Never, never, never. It is the universal signal of a prey animal, and you will not outrun it. 

3 hours ago, Huntster said:

Interesting report. 

Never run. Never, never, never. It is the universal signal of a prey animal, and you will not outrun it. 

If you have ever chased a Black Bear down a logging road you will understand this.  Don't let some wildlife C.O. tell you otherwise, Large animals can move.

I am not going to Carry a side arm. For one I live North of the border and it is a little complicated. But I also believe if you Carry you need to commit to proper and safe practice. I have a lot of friends who hunt, some I trust. But in a panic situation, I would just end up shooting myself in the foot.

1 hour ago, Rlee said:

If you have ever chased a Black Bear down a logging road you will understand this.  Don't let some wildlife C.O. tell you otherwise, Large animals can move.

I am not going to Carry a side arm. For one I live North of the border and it is a little complicated. But I also believe if you Carry you need to commit to proper and safe practice. I have a lot of friends who hunt, some I trust. But in a panic situation, I would just end up shooting myself in the foot.

Practice, practice, practice.

You can pack a lever gun or shot gun up there. It’s a damn cheap insurance policy versus being eaten feet first.

8 hours ago, Rlee said:

........I have a lot of friends who hunt, some I trust. But in a panic situation, I would just end up shooting myself in the foot.

I've already been shot in the head in a hunting accident. One of my greatest fear in a bear mauling incident is having a hunting buddy try to shoot a bear off of me. Imagine the additional insult of a gunshot wound to a good bear mauling?

Norse is right; practice is not only a basic requirement for all gun owners, but it's fun. Yeah, it costs money and time, and can be a chore like physically working out, but it's just as important. 

Sorry about the Mommy-style government oversight. Canada is one of the most beautiful places on Earth, and the citizens are also wonderful people, but I'll pass on being ruled over like that.

It's been said before, but a firearm is like a fire extinguisher.  You may never need it, but if and when you do you REALLY need it.  

Even if you subscribe to the idea that Sasquatch is friendly or harmless...your fellow man is capable of shocking acts of unprovoked evil.  Most of the people who are out in the woods are just enjoying nature, but there's always a chance that you could come across someone who is out in the woods for a more sinister purpose.

Like Hunster and Norseman said, don't look at practicing with a firearm as a chore...but rather as an enjoyable and exciting past time.

ETA.

If size, weight, or appearance are what is holding you back from carrying a firearm in the woods, I believe that the Mossberg Shockwave is currently legal in Canada.  Might be worth looking into.

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

It's been said before, but a firearm is like a fire extinguisher.  You may never need it, but if and when you do you REALLY need it.  

Even if you subscribe to the idea that Sasquatch is friendly or harmless...your fellow man is capable of shocking acts of unprovoked evil.  Most of the people who are out in the woods are just enjoying nature, but there's always a chance that you could come across someone who is out in the woods for a more sinister purpose.

Like Hunster and Norseman said, don't look at practicing with a firearm as a chore...but rather as an enjoyable and exciting past time.

ETA.

If size, weight, or appearance are what is holding you back from carrying a firearm in the woods, I believe that the Mossberg Shockwave is currently legal in Canada.  Might be worth looking into.

I picked up a Remington Marine Magnum shotgun. Took it with me when I went to Port Chatham last time. Loved it. short, compact and resistant to the harsh Alaskan environment (mostly). It's very similar to the Shockwave.

Back on topic....I hate to by cynical but it's impossible anymore. I'm guessing his goal or big reveal or whatever it is he's working toward is going to cost around $5.99 a month.

16 minutes ago, BeansBaxter78 said:

I picked up a Remington Marine Magnum shotgun. Took it with me when I went to Port Chatham last time. Loved it. short, compact and resistant to the harsh Alaskan environment (mostly). It's very similar to the Shockwave.

Back on topic....I hate to by cynical but it's impossible anymore. I'm guessing his goal or big reveal or whatever it is he's working toward is going to cost around $5.99 a month.

I have looked at those Remingtons.  Palmetto State Armory has put them on sale in the past.  U want a Shockwave, but if the price gets right I will grab a Remington.  

It's a slippery slope with charging people.  I can see wanting to take advantage of any available resources in order to be able to finance research.  This can be an expensive pursuit...  it is a balancing act between trying not to go broke doing this stuff and not becoming a snake oil salesman.

I have been pretty vocally critical of the BFRO and their prices on outings, but at the end of the day the people involved are adults and can spend their money as they see fit.  However, I honestly don't see anything wrong with Patreon and things like that...if I enjoy the content then I have no issue with contributing towards the continuation of that content.. whether it is a podcast or YouTube channel.  

That being said, he has kind of painted himself into a corner with his attacks in other figures and their monetization of the field.  Pretty much any solicitation of money is going to run counter to his stated views on other people in the field.

Again, I enjoy watching his videos and am interested in seeing where he goes...but, there are a lot of ways that this could end up being a bit of a mess.

1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Again, I enjoy watching his videos and am interested in seeing where he goes...but, there are a lot of ways that this could end up being a bit of a mess.

I'm pretty much in agreement.     I do not think he is out for money.   He's said many times (paraphrasing) that he wants bigfoot acknowledged so people traumatized by their experiences and by others responses to their experience are validated and can get the help they need.  I'll take him at face value 'til he shows otherwise.

My guess is he has the delusional belief that if he can get enough "groundswell" behind him, he can force the US or Canadian government to acknowledge bigfoot.    (A bit like hiflier has tried to do here but on a grander scale.)   I think he's kidding himself.  I think one of these days his big event is going to be ... crickets.    Maybe I'll be wrong.  Time will tell.

MIB

• Upvote 1

Wait 

what did I miss ? who's charging $5.99 

19 hours ago, norseman said:

Practice, practice, practice.

You can pack a lever gun or shot gun up there. It’s a damn cheap insurance policy versus being eaten feet first.

Yup

shotgun would be my choice in the bush if I'm only carrying for self defense against 4 or two legged threats 

10 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

ETA.

It has it's cool factor for sure but it's nice to have a stock , just my opinion when it comes to shotguns .

That doesn't mean I won't own one soon :D but agree it's easy to pack if that is one of his  considerations 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 7.62 said:

It has it's cool factor for sure but it's nice to have a stock , just my opinion when it comes to shotguns .

That doesn't mean I won't own one soon :D but agree it's easy to pack if that is one of his  considerations 

Yeah, I agree.

Just figured that maybe a smaller shotgun option might appeal to him since he can't carry a handgun

3 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Yeah, I agree.

Just figured that maybe a smaller shotgun option might appeal to him since he can't carry a handgun

What did I miss on the how to hunt channel charging $5.99 ?

I just watched his latest video and didn't see him mention it

I'm lost

Edited by 7.62

On 2/14/2020 at 8:51 PM, Lam90 said:

This was in today’s video. It’s probably photoshopped (very well done I think), but I find it extremely creepy. 

It's clearly Gollum from "The Lord of the Rings"!

Also, my opinion, but if there's been more sasquatch talk lately with several shows and whatnot, the best way to continue to discredit the whole idea is to focus in on the woo factor. Most folks laugh at the oddities. I suppose that's a bit of conspiracy theory, but so be it. If you follow the money, the money doesn't benefit from acknowledgement of the species. 

Edited by Madison5716
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 7.62 said:

What did I miss on the how to hunt channel charging $5.99 ?

I just watched his latest video and didn't see him mention it

I'm lost

He's not.

Beansbaxter said this a few posts ago..."Back on topic....I hate to by cynical but it's impossible anymore. I'm guessing his goal or big reveal or whatever it is he's working toward is going to cost around $5.99 a month."

Beans is guessing that the Steve's big reveal is going to be a monthly fee podcast or something.  Nothing definitive yet, just going by what the other folks who get name recognition in the field do.

I am still of the opinion that Steve, Paulides, Carpenter, et al are going to try to develop a higher profile nationwide research group like the BFRO, but based around the Ketchum study and Paulides/Carpenter's views on Bigfoot.  

Paulides gets a lot of attention...and Steve is blowing up on YouTube right now.  

• Upvote 1