Bigfooter of the Year - Bigfoot Times

Daniel Perez

What did she do to win the honor?  I don't know Bea personally but just a quick scan of her activities indicates nothing special in particular. If you wanted a female to win, that's fine but there are plenty of female bigfooters who spend time in the field and do interesting stuff. I'm all for women's rights and empowerment but maybe you could have chosen a better candidate. 

Also, I see Steven Streufert and MK Davis have won it previously :wacko:

Edited by Arvedis

Kathy Strain immediately comes to mind and over the years she has made an invaluable contribution the the bigfooting world. In my opinion, she deserves to be on that list.

Edited by wiiawiwb

I'll correct myself.  Turns out Bea Mills has done a lot in Bigfootery, both in the field and conference organization. Hocking Hills and probably other conferences as well.

Edited by Arvedis
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Arvedis said:

I'll correct myself.  Turns out Bea Mills has done a lot in Bigfootery, both in the field and conference organization. Hocking Hills and probably other conferences as well.

Would love to upvote you for being man (or woman) enough to publicly correct yourself.

Unfortunately, I'm out for today.

12 hours ago, Arvedis said:

Field Work is fine, but Conferences are basically like Conventions, and it seems like every new Research group appearing on scene hosts one. It's an exercise in Popularity and Socializing, not Research.

• Upvote 2

What is never discussed WRT to conferences are the vendors' fees. Some are $100 per booth for three days. Some are $100 per booth per day. I have seen vendor space sold out. so on the high side. let's say there will be 120 vendors (because I have seen where there was that many) for a three-day conference at $100 per day: That's $300 per vendor booth for the weekend X 120 vendors = $36,000. On the low side of $100 for the whole conference weekend, for say, 100 vendors = $10,000. Then there are conference ticket sales from attendees on top of that. So let's say, 400 attendees at $30 per day for three days = another $36,000. Without meals, or special events.

Sure the speakers and workshop instructors get paid and there are other overhead expenses like advertising etc. but all in all? I think conference promoters do make some money when all is said and done. Airfare and hotel? Who knows.

Here's an example: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2020-psychic-sasquatch-retreat-tickets-87926529617?aff=erelexpmlt

And make no mistake, the psychic Sasquatch is BIG these days.

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, vinchyfoot said:

Field Work is fine, but Conferences are basically like Conventions, and it seems like every new Research group appearing on scene hosts one. It's an exercise in Popularity and Socializing, not Research.

Self aggrandizement abounds in this field.  Go to any of the festivals or conferences related to this subject that have popped up in recent years. 

It's a lot of lonely people who have found a place to belong.  They gather to name-drop and to hint at forbidden knowledge that they are unable to share.

They really strive for exclusivity, but outsiders can someday get access....for a price.  

Eh.  They are all adults and can spend their time and money as they wish.  Good for them for finding others to share their passion.  I have just always found it a bit cringey that a whole area of interest that by definition is populated by those who are looked at as outsiders by normal society should themselves strive so hard for exclusive cliques.  I guess that is just human nature.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, hiflier said:

What is never discussed WRT to conferences are the vendors' fees. Some are $100 per booth for three days. Some are $100 per booth per day. I have seen vendor space sold out. so on the high side. let's say there will be 120 vendors (because I have seen where there was that many) for a three-day conference at $100 per day: That's $300 per vendor booth for the weekend X 120 vendors = $36,000. On the low side of $100 for the whole conference weekend, for say, 100 vendors = $10,000. Then there are conference ticket sales from attendees on top of that. So let's say, 400 attendees at $30 per day for three days = another $36,000. Without meals, or special events.

Sure the speakers and workshop instructors get paid and there are other overhead expenses like advertising etc. but all in all? I think conference promoters do make some money when all is said and done. Airfare and hotel? Who knows.

Here's an example: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2020-psychic-sasquatch-retreat-tickets-87926529617?aff=erelexpmlt

And make no mistake, the psychic Sasquatch is BIG these days.

So apparently is "Business"

4 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Self aggrandizement abounds in this field.  Go to any of the festivals or conferences related to this subject that have popped up in recent years. 

It's a lot of lonely people who have found a place to belong.  They gather to name-drop and to hint at forbidden knowledge that they are unable to share.

They really strive for exclusivity, but outsiders can someday get access....for a price.  

Eh.  They are all adults and can spend their time and money as they wish.  Good for them for finding others to share their passion.  I have just always found it a bit cringey that a whole area of interest that by definition is populated by those who are looked at as outsiders by normal society should themselves strive so hard for exclusive cliques.  I guess that is just human nature.

Sounds like Beachfoot, which is an invite only conference/retreat.

16 minutes ago, Arvedis said:

Sounds like Beachfoot, which is an invite only conference/retreat.

The pix I've seen are at the organizers' home.   Do you let just anyone wander into your home or do you limit it to people you choose to invite?    If you do limit it, why are you criticizing them for doing what you do?

MIB

1 hour ago, MIB said:

The pix I've seen are at the organizers' home.   Do you let just anyone wander into your home or do you limit it to people you choose to invite?    If you do limit it, why are you criticizing them for doing what you do?

MIB

It's at a public space, like a campground in Oregon.  I doubt they can keep anyone out, nor is that their vigilant intention.  They just want to keep it to researchers.

Edited by Arvedis

8 minutes ago, Arvedis said:

It's at a public space, like a campground in Oregon.  I doubt they can keep anyone out, nor is that their vigilant intention.  They just want to keep it to researchers.

I know some people camp at a public campground but I'm not sure that all of the activities are there.   Like I said, some of the pictures are from their home.    ... and I can see wanting to keep it to researchers.   That's what I would do.    If you decide to put on an event, feel free to do it your way.   Obviously they feel free to do it theirs.

MIB

26 minutes ago, MIB said:

I know some people camp at a public campground but I'm not sure that all of the activities are there.   Like I said, some of the pictures are from their home.    ... and I can see wanting to keep it to researchers.   That's what I would do.    If you decide to put on an event, feel free to do it your way.   Obviously they feel free to do it theirs.

MIB

:offtopic:  The subtopic branched into exclusivity, not criticisms of anyone or my personal ambitions in the BF community.  Beachfoot looks like a good time and I have no problem getting an invite  (though I have never gone, I want to). 

Most BF events are open to everyone because of the expenses involved. The idea of Beachfoot is a social gathering of invited researchers to exchange ideas. I think it does that pretty well. BUT, it is still an us or them mentality since you have to be invited to get wind of it.