Marlin M lok

norseman

I like how lever action rifles are getting some modern updates. 

There is something to be said for the beauty of blues steel and wood firearms, but if you are using it in the field it is nice to be able to use accessories, especially a mounted light.

45-70 is on my shopping list for 2020.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Keep us in the loop.   I'd be interested to see what you come up with.    I've owned a number of Marlin .45-70s including 2 cowboy rifles, a guide gun, and one of the big loop rifles.    I wish they'd offer a big loop with a 22 inch barrel and full length magazine.   ( Stainless, of course.  :) )   One thing I will say, all 4 of those delivered sub MOA accuracy with the right ammo .. usually handloads but also with the 405 grain Remington factory load .. and a good (Wild West Lever Guns) trigger.    (Scoped, of course.  MOA with iron sights is a real challenge.)

I have been tempted to try yet again but as I get older the recoil loses appeal.    I wish there were a 336-length cartridge around .40 caliber.   The .38-55 comes up a little short on elk IMHO and the .45-70 clubs the ever loving snot out of me when I start adding velocity to flatten the trajectory.    The .405 Winchester is good, maybe a little too good, and it obviously doesn't fit through the 336/1895 series.

On 1/2/2020 at 1:21 PM, MIB said:

Keep us in the loop.   I'd be interested to see what you come up with.    I've owned a number of Marlin .45-70s including 2 cowboy rifles, a guide gun, and one of the big loop rifles.    I wish they'd offer a big loop with a 22 inch barrel and full length magazine.   ( Stainless, of course.  :) )   One thing I will say, all 4 of those delivered sub MOA accuracy with the right ammo .. usually handloads but also with the 405 grain Remington factory load .. and a good (Wild West Lever Guns) trigger.    (Scoped, of course.  MOA with iron sights is a real challenge.)

I have been tempted to try yet again but as I get older the recoil loses appeal.    I wish there were a 336-length cartridge around .40 caliber.   The .38-55 comes up a little short on elk IMHO and the .45-70 clubs the ever loving snot out of me when I start adding velocity to flatten the trajectory.    The .405 Winchester is good, maybe a little too good, and it obviously doesn't fit through the 336/1895 series.

MIB, have you tried the 444 Marlin? Similar ballistics to the .405 Win. Flatter trajectory than the 45-70. The 444P is a nice rifle. 

I haven't worked with the .444.   The bulk of the bullets are meant for .44 magnum revolver speed.   They over-expand and under-penetrate .. if they hold together at all .. at .444 velocity.    There is a pretty limited number of .444-appropriate bullets.   That is one thing.   The other is they are only available in a very limited number of configurations, none that quite float my boat.  It is something I watch from the sidelines but can't really invest in.   I would do .45-70 again before I'd do .444 because of component selection limitations.

2 minutes ago, MIB said:

I haven't worked with the .444.   The bulk of the bullets are meant for .44 magnum revolver speed.   They over-expand and under-penetrate .. if they hold together at all .. at .444 velocity.    There is a pretty limited number of .444-appropriate bullets.   That is one thing.   The other is they are only available in a very limited number of configurations, none that quite float my boat.  It is something I watch from the sidelines but can't really invest in.   I would do .45-70 again before I'd do .444 because of component selection limitations.

Well, yep. that's why I sold mine and went with the 45-70. I don't reload as of yet and the 444 Buffalo Bore is spendy! I assume they use a better cast bullet than what you are referring to. I've read that earlier offerings in 444 were using 44 mag bullets and they didn't hold up...

One of the challenges with .444 is Marlin uses a 1-38" twist so you can't use a real heavy bullet.  

One more option is the .405 Winchester.  Looks like Winchester is offering the M95 at least on a limited basis.   Hornady offers brass now and then, plus 2 versions of their 300 grain bullet.  

I wasn't familiar with the M95, went looking and found a nicely engraved one for $275,000. but the new in box are reasonably priced. Looks as if Mr Browning did a nice job.

Let us know if you succumb.

2 hours ago, MIB said:

One of the challenges with .444 is Marlin uses a 1-38" twist so you can't use a real heavy bullet.  

One more option is the .405 Winchester.  Looks like Winchester is offering the M95 at least on a limited basis.   Hornady offers brass now and then, plus 2 versions of their 300 grain bullet.  

The latest "Shooting Times" has an article on the latest iterations of the .444 from Marlin. I don't have it in front of me, but one of the high points is a change to a faster spin to stabilize longer/heavier bullets, 1 in 20 I believe. They've also switched from their "Micro-Groove" rifling to button rifling and there are several new component and cartridge choices available that offer greatly improved performance. Arthritis keeps heavy recoil cartridges like that way outside my comfort zone and I don't recall specifics on load data, but they tested one of the new Marlin offerings, pictured below, with at least a dozen load combos and most if not all were under 1.5 MOA with several very close to 1 MOA. I've got to go out to Fort Harrison for our annual shooting club meeting tomorrow morning and need to stop at the museum; if someone hasn't taken the magazine home I'll try to remember to grab it for more details.

CurrentIssueShootingTimesFeature1_1440x820_March2020.thumb.jpg.b4ce2e5a6deb7a8dba27b94e2fb81e40.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 12:45 PM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I like how lever action rifles are getting some modern updates. 

There is something to be said for the beauty of blues steel and wood firearms, but if you are using it in the field it is nice to be able to use accessories, especially a mounted light.

You've probably seen that you can do both eh?

No light attached but the mount is on:

49374260533_b481475e4a_h.jpgR0019461 by LIght Pirate, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

You've probably seen that you can do both eh?

No light attached but the mount is on:

49374260533_b481475e4a_h.jpgR0019461 by LIght Pirate, on Flickr

Does the ported barrel help on the recoil?

I have  a Marlin .450 guide gun and still haven't gotten around to firing it.

18 hours ago, 7.62 said:

Does the ported barrel help on the recoil?

I have  a Marlin .450 guide gun and still haven't gotten around to firing it.

IDK, haven't fired one without them. It's not bad though, the day after shooting a box or 2, i can just tell i did so.

6 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

IDK, haven't fired one without them. It's not bad though, the day after shooting a box or 2, i can just tell i did so.

Thanks for the info 

I'm going to use mine for still hunting 

Probably going to install a 1-4 scope on it.