Is this a practical sidearm in case of an up close Bigfoot encounter?

langfordbc

I've never been a gun guy so my experience is limited..I never owned a firearm till I was about 41..As far as a pistol.. I started out carrying a Sig Sauer P210 9mm, I've never liked a large caliber pistol. I have a .357 but I feel like the joker pulling his revolver out in the first Batman movie, when I carry it.

When I captured proof of my trespassers on my property, I new I needed something other than the 9mm..wanting to stick with a small compact, carry anywhere pistol, I went with the Kimber Crimson .45 Ultra CDP II

Still not powerful enough but at least I'll die shooting a comfortable easy to handle gun.

IMG_20200310_171602617.jpg

Edited by Imdyinbitch
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well, finally had the 500 out to the range today. I've been a few times since picking it up but with the weather being fairly cold on the days I went, I didn't really want to shoot handgun.

Anyways, after some admitted nervousness on what to expect, I found it to be much tamer than I thought it would be. I put a box (20) each of 325 and 500 grain through it and well, I love it. What a blast it is to shoot. The 500 grain rounds (obviously) offer noticeably more recoil, but the 325 were, dare I say, quite comfortable to shoot. I'm sure in shorter barrel configurations, it would be a different story. I don't own any other magnums and it's been a long time since I shot a .44 so I can't really offer a comparison.

She's a keeper. Time to order up some dies and get some load data as it's $3-5 CDN a round for factory. 

IMG_2074.jpg

• Upvote 1

Nice looking revolver. Congratulations! You'll want to reload for various reasons. One is the cost. The other is you can customize the powder and load to your exact desires.  Prepare some light loads for the range so you can practice with a number of rounds. Then, gradually increase the load and have fun throughout the entire process. 

I have a Ruger Toklat 454 Casull with a 5" barrel and reload 45 Colt rounds which are a pleasure to shoot. Factory or reloaded 454 Casull rounds aren't a lot of fun. They pushes very hard. Here is a video of Hickok45 with the Toklat.

7 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

Nice looking revolver. Congratulations! You'll want to reload for various reasons. One is the cost. The other is you can customize the powder and load to your exact desires.  Prepare some light loads for the range so you can practice with a number of rounds. Then, gradually increase the load and have fun throughout the entire process. 

I have a Ruger Toklat 454 Casull with a 5" barrel and reload 45 Colt rounds which are a pleasure to shoot. Factory or reloaded 454 Casull rounds aren't a lot of fun. They pushes very hard. Here is a video of Hickok45 with the Toklat.

Cool gun. I had an opportunity to buy a BNIB S&W 460 from the same guy I bought the 500 from for the same price (1/2 of new), but by the time I decided to offer to buy the 460, it was sold. I've never shot the 454 Casull, but if Hickok45 says he thinks it kicks more than S&W 500, I'm inclined to take his word for it.

I kinda didn't really see the need to own both 460 and 500 but lets be honest, "need" is a great reason to justify owning a gun, but a terrible reason to justify not owning another one, lol.

I've never owned a ported revolver but it should keep your muzzle under control. Let us know how it shoots and how your reloading comes along. Just have fun with it and know you're well protected!

• gigantor featured this topic

the 500 Magnum is  a great sidearm if you can handle the trigger in double action

ive never shot a 500 Magnum, but I have shot hot .454 Casull cartridges and they're difficult to handle using the trigger in double action

in the past 2 years ive switched to a Glock 20 10MM Auto

16 rounds of 10MM Auto will do more dmaage than  6 shots of any magnum.  JMO

ymmv

Edited by RedHawk454

13 hours ago, langfordbc said:

Well, finally had the 500 out to the range today. I've been a few times since picking it up but with the weather being fairly cold on the days I went, I didn't really want to shoot handgun.

Anyways, after some admitted nervousness on what to expect, I found it to be much tamer than I thought it would be. I put a box (20) each of 325 and 500 grain through it and well, I love it. What a blast it is to shoot. The 500 grain rounds (obviously) offer noticeably more recoil, but the 325 were, dare I say, quite comfortable to shoot. I'm sure in shorter barrel configurations, it would be a different story. I don't own any other magnums and it's been a long time since I shot a .44 so I can't really offer a comparison.

She's a keeper. Time to order up some dies and get some load data as it's $3-5 CDN a round for factory. 

IMG_2074.jpg

If you ever run out of bullets.... you can just bludgeon it to death!!!

2 hours ago, RedHawk454 said:

the 500 Magnum is  a great sidearm if you can handle the trigger in double action

ive never shot a 500 Magnum, but I have shot hot .454 Casull cartridges and they're difficult to handle using the trigger in double action

in the past 2 years ive switched to a Glock 20 10MM Auto

16 rounds of 10MM Auto will do more dmaage than  6 shots of any magnum.  JMO

ymmv

IF you can get the 16 shots off..... 

15 hours ago, langfordbc said:

IMG_2074.jpg

looks like the sheriff's gun from "Walking Dead" but I think clips are better, easier and faster to reload when Zombie Herds are approaching to feed on you or starving masses from the cities headed to your rural property because they know you were prepared for the food shortages!!

as far as a Bigfoot Attack, you'll probably end up a Cold Case Missing Person stored in a cobweb infested file cabinet until your case gets chosen for a sequel to the "Missing 411 the Hunted" dvd series if you're lucky! lol

1 hour ago, norseman said:

If you ever run out of bullets.... you can just bludgeon it to death!!!

IF you can get the 16 shots off..... 

the best place to carry a sidearm is on your strong side.  if you do get ambushed by one you should be able to at least get 1 shot off, and the noise should cause some sort of shock-and-awe on  the ApE

then unload the 15 rounds into its center mass

personally I like the 180 grain bullet going 1,250 FPS

which is 624 lbs of muzzle energy

which has more kinetic energy then run-of-the mill .357 magnum around (normal .357 is like 550 lbs of muzzle energy)

so with a Glock 20 you are more or less firing 15-16 rounds of .41 magnum

1 minute ago, RedHawk454 said:

the best place to carry a sidearm is on your strong side.  if you do get ambushed by one you should be able to at least get 1 shot off, and the noise should cause some sort of shock-and-awe on  the ApE

then unload the 15 rounds into its center mass

personally I like the 180 grain bullet going 1,250 FPS

which is 624 lbs of muzzle energy

which has more kinetic energy then run-of-the mill .357 magnum around (normal .357 is like 550 lbs of muzzle energy)

so with a Glock 20 you are more or less firing 15-16 rounds of .41 magnum

I would still be packing my 44 mag except for the lack of attachment points. So I converted my 1911 to 460 Rowland. And put a taclight- laser combo on it. I still prefer a wheel gun in dangerous situations. Just as I prefer a lever gun in rifles. It’s gonna go bang when needed most.

• Like 1

Just now, norseman said:

I would still be packing my 44 mag except for the lack of attachment points. So I converted my 1911 to 460 Rowland. And put a taclight- laser combo on it. I still prefer a wheel gun in dangerous situations. Just as I prefer a lever gun in rifles. It’s gonna go bang when needed most.

yeah, understand the revolver fascination

they look better than semi autos and you kindof feel like your still in the wild west when you carry them

Just now, RedHawk454 said:

yeah, understand the revolver fascination

they look better than semi autos and you kindof feel like your still in the wild west when you carry them

Well, my 1911 has stove piped on me. I’ve never had my revolver fail.....

Its more like old Betsy parked out in the barn fires every time when your new fandangled computer controlled pickup is making a clicking sound when you turn the key. 

For me it’s just practicality. But I do like the look of both revolvers and 1911’s.... striker fired plastic pistols? Not so much!

And the triggers feel like your trying to squish a rotten tomato with your finger! Blech!

10 minutes ago, norseman said:

Well, my 1911 has stove piped on me. I’ve never had my revolver fail.....

Its more like old Betsy parked out in the barn fires every time when your new fandangled computer controlled pickup is making a clicking sound when you turn the key. 

For me it’s just practicality. But I do like the look of both revolvers and 1911’s.... striker fired plastic pistols? Not so much!

i used to have (i'm still pissed at myself that I got rid of it and get angry just thinking about it) a Ruger Super RedHawk .454 Casull in the tumble gray.  It was made in 1997 so it was one of the first Model Year Super Redhawks.

But the cylinder would seize up when firing hot .454 loads (like around ~1,800+ lbs of muzzle energy)

other than that ive never had revolvers lock up

theyre legit for the most part

Edited by RedHawk454
1,800 of muzzle energy
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, RedHawk454 said:

But the cylinder would seize up when firing hot .454 loads (like around ~1,800+ lbs of muzzle energy)

I've never fired a handgun in a caliber more powerful than .44 Mag due to onset of rheumatoid arthritis at age 30, and only hand loaded .38/.357, but I'm curious as to what caused the cylinder lockup. One batch of my .357 loads were extremely hot (as in four grains of H110 beyond the max load listed in the Speer Manual) because I stupidly relied on my memory when I couldn't locate the manual after moving from an apartment to our first house. Even those loads didn't exhibit any signs of excessive pressure when fired in my Ruger Security-Six.

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic