Is this a practical sidearm in case of an up close Bigfoot encounter?

langfordbc

That's a gorgeous piece! Not original, but beautiful!

I'm thinking about getting another M1 Garand and customizing it into a bear repellant rifle. Shuff's Parkerizing specializes in building the Mini-G and he likes converting them to 35 Whelen. I'm thinking about a 20" barrel in either 30-06 or 35 Whelen..........

8 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

@PNWexplorer Are those the original grips?

No, those were carved by hand by my grandfather while sitting in the tank.  They were carved out of the windscreen of a downed German plane.  They're referred to as "Sweetheart grips" and were common in WWII since usually a photo of the soldier's sweetheart was placed behind the clear grips.  My grandfather used an American flag on one side, and a picture of his cattle dog and favorite hunting place on the other...

5cOCGSIARhSOYBAM8ZBunA.jpg

• Upvote 2

Cold chills, PNW.

Dad was a combat veteran, B-17 waist-gunner, but didn't bring back anything cool. I've an uncle, also B-17 waist-gunner, that brought back his 1911A1.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

Carried by my grandfather in WWII as a tank crewman and the inspiration for the Brad Pitt sidearm in the movie "Fury"...

WZ03I5kWSJaf1XUmW3gTkA.jpeg

Absolutely super cool!

5 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Cold chills, PNW.

Dad was a combat veteran, B-17 waist-gunner, but didn't bring back anything cool. I've an uncle, also B-17 waist-gunner, that brought back his 1911A1.

Dad was a Navy seaman and served in the Okinawa campaign onboard and on the ground from Hawaii through the end of the war. He came home with a Japanese 7.7 Arisaka Type 99 rifle, with intact Imperial chrysanthemum markings. We still have the authorization document to go with the rifle, and photographs of him, my brother, and I shooting it out in the desert in the early 1970's.

15 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

No, those were carved by hand by my grandfather while sitting in the tank.  They were carved out of the windscreen of a downed German plane.  They're referred to as "Sweetheart grips" and were common in WWII since usually a photo of the soldier's sweetheart was placed behind the clear grips.  My grandfather used an American flag on one side, and a picture of his cattle dog and favorite hunting place on the other...

That is quite a treasure! I hadn't heard that about the "sweetheart grips" neat idea. 

I remember when "Fury" came out that a lot of people were talking about the sweetheart grips on War Daddy's pistol.  

@PNWexplorer that's a beautiful piece.  

• Like 1

BFF Patron
15 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

Here's my Grandpa in Italy, but he's wearing his 1911.  He preferred it to the revolver.

u8dqN_EvTgKfffUUo0HdQQ.jpg

Your Grandpa must have served under General Patton in the Italian campaign.        He ever say anything about that?

7 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Your Grandpa must have served under General Patton in the Italian campaign.        He ever say anything about that?

Grandpa never talked to me about the war.  Talked to my dad very little about it.  But, he took hundreds of photos while over there as a member of the 752nd.  I have downloaded the photos and some were taken during live combat, but most before and after the overthrow of Mussolini.  Some of his photos were quite good at capturing the horribleness of war.

7VCkFOdUSVqHlHda7j2O9Q.jpg

• Upvote 2

After your grandfather fought to take Italy, and make it a reasonably safe place for the Allies, my own father was stationed at Foggia, Italy. The US based the 15th Air Force there, to bolster and supplement the 8th Air Force, which had already been flying from bases in England.

Unlike in England, the bomber guys were encouraged not to fraternize with the Italian civilians. Lord knows, those poor souls had been thru hell, life under Mussolini, then basically occupation by the Nazis. Dad's friends had one guy that spoke Italian, and bartered with the natives for fresh eggs. Other than combat, I think Dad's most hated experience was the powdered eggs. Heh!

Like your grandfather, and the entire generation of WWII vets, Dad didn't speak of his experiences for years, until his three sons were grown, and continued to ask about it. I think it was a catharsis when he finally started relaying some of his experiences. He witnessed Forts next to his own shot down in flames by the flak anti-aircraft fire.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Unlike in England, the bomber guys were encouraged not to fraternize with the Italian civilians. Lord knows, those poor souls had been thru hell, life under Mussolini, then basically occupation by the Nazis. Dad's friends had one guy that spoke Italian, and bartered with the natives for fresh eggs. Other than combat, I think Dad's most hated experience was the powdered eggs. Heh!

Based on some of the photos, the Army guys interacted with civilians quite a bit, including having a dance...

UkBCzRUjQaix8i-5qB_EAQ (1).jpg

npKEuAKaR8yJhuE6-bL8Bw.jpg

wrEkh09KROaNSF8LOp8vrw.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Understand the circumstances. The US army comes through, and suddenly things are far safer for Italian civilians. Months pass, and an enormous air base is installed. The Air Corps guys are warned the civilians are off limits.

Your photos are awesome, but a little perspective is in order.

11 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

.......Like your grandfather, and the entire generation of WWII vets, Dad didn't speak of his experiences for years, until his three sons were grown, and continued to ask about it. I think it was a catharsis when he finally started relaying some of his experiences. He witnessed Forts next to his own shot down in flames by the flak anti-aircraft fire.

As you remember (we are of similar age), when we we kids there were LOTS of WWII tv shows and movies. I asked Dad about his experiences extensively. He spoke freely of everything, including the hardships, but kept back most of the horror. He had recurring nightmares, and those came out when I was young. 

Sometime between 2006 and 2009 I took a solo ice fishing trip by snowmobile to Crosswinds Lake, some 22 miles from the highway. My plan was to stay 5 days. Almost immediately after setting up camp, I felt a flu coming on. I spent the entire 5 days in my cot in the tent, sick as a dog. Before the trip, my brother had sent me the book, "With the Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge. I had brought it with me, and read it while sick in my tent. It delivered the true horror of Okinawa to me with all its mind numbing details. 

BFF Patron

One of my uncles was a Marine that landed on Iwojima.     He refused to mention anything about it.     The US casualty rate was very high.      70,000 Marines landed and 25, 861 died.     In retrospect the Japanese could have been cut off from their supplies and simply starved to death.    It took the US military a long time to discard traditions and tactics that went back to the Civil war.  There are better ways than facing off and grinding it out.