The Yowie and the Australian Wildfires

NatFoot

I was just trading a PM with someone and the Yowie popped into my head.

With the wildfires in Australia being so bad, you'd think this would be a good time to find a body, or at least have witnesses who have seen them fleeing areas.

Just a thought.

SSR Team

The fires are monstrous, over 12m acres as it stands and they're at the start of their summer.

Koala's will be going extinct as i'd guess would a fair few animal species that would be localized to where they are.

The fires are very sad.

Or, if they are as smart as we assume, do some migrate and beat feet out of a fire zone into someone else's territory? Could there be an incresse in activity due to interlopers? Huh. 

Maybe hang out on some yowie researcher sites and suggest such a strategy to folks who had/have active areas?

My thoughts and prayers with the people affected by this sad tragedy. 

Yowies are quite safe. Earth quakes don't affect Yeti. Sasquatches are immune to quakes and fires. 

Just don't look for info from ABC NEWS, their map of Australia superimposed over North America has 1/3 of the country in flames.

safe_image.jpg.25d4d38336da1472f7aa7bbe83733af0.jpg

Here is an accurately scaled comparison:

ENpPrzPU4AErQ3d.thumb.png.ec65ca53e37c9f9a76348659c2a511ab.png

Heard on the local radio news this morning that several teams from Montana are on the way or already there. Also, Australian amphibious forces are rescuing fire victims: https://news.usni.org/2020/01/06/amphibs-called-to-evacuate-australian-fire-victims?utm_source=USNI+News&utm_campaign=e5db60526b-USNI_NEWS_DAILY&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0dd4a1450b-e5db60526b-230425349&mc_cid=e5db60526b&mc_eid=de4b8212ad

Admin

That is odd, considering that a good portion of the interior is nothing but desert.

Extremely painful to watch the destruction.  Desperately hoping they will receive enough assistance from the rest of the planet to begin repairing the damage.  The satellite photos are shocking.

I had also thought about the Yowies, unfortunately not enough is known about them to even begin to guess how they are surviving the fires.

Terrible event, my heart goes out to all the people and animals being displaced.   Many prayers and thoughts to the firefighters putting their lives on the line, many of them are volunteers.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry for posting the Daily Mail but the original source is paywalled:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8006603/Dean-Harrison-Australian-Yowie-Research-said-yowies-escaped-Queensland-bushfires.html?

Australia's yowie population has taken a hit following the devastating bushfire season, according to a supposed expert.

Dean Harrison from Australian Yowie Research has been studying the mythical creatures for 20 years and claims to have had many encounters with the hairy beasts on Queensland's Gold Coast.

He said there had been a 'change in behaviour as' bushfires forced yowies further inland.

Mr Harrison claims there are usually 10 sightings of yowies each week on the Gold Coast, but now there are none.

'Generally, it does fluctuate. We can have dry spells but that whole area has dropped to basically nothing. It has all gone much quieter than normal,' he told The Courier-Mail

He said it's the same for areas in New South Wales but the hairy beast is still being spotted in the Sunshine Coast.  

'We are mainly getting reports from other areas, it is hard to say why but I expect yowies have moved out of their comfort zone, out of their natural area and are therefore keeping their heads down more.'

Despite the ongoing dangers of the fires, Mr Harrison doesn't believe any yowie was injured because of their strong sense of smell and speed of 70km/h.  

'Yowies can traverse the most extreme terrain and can grapple straight up sheer rockfaces.' 

Dead yowie bodies have not yet been spotted because 'they will take care of their dead', Mr Harrison explained.