In Search of the Port Chatham Hairy Man

I watched this free on Amazon prime last night. It was really bad and I really couldn't follow the purpose  why they spent the money going out there.

I don't recommend watching it unless you have nothing else to do . It seems a cool area to explore but the expedition was poorly planned .

Thanks for the assessment.  I've gone back and forth about spending the money because the back story on the location is interesting, but I've heard the movie wasn't good.  Your description helped me make up my mind.

One of the guys from the documentary was on the BFF at one point, iirc.

That being said, what an absolute waste of time, money, and resources.  You take a boat to Port Chatham.  You take 2 millennials straight off the street who have zero interest in Bigfoot and who have zero skills that would be useful in the field.  You basically walk around during the daytime smoking cigarettes and hightail it back to the boat at night.  Put out a few trail camera, forget to turn one of those on, and pretty much call it a day.

Why on Earth did they not spend the night on shore???

2 hours ago, hiflier said:

:startle: That's why.

I think the kids were a little freaked out on the prospect ,

Maybe that was suppose to be the original plan and it changed?

The big  heavy set guy I think would have been all for it but the kids seemed like they had really no interest during the whole video . They looked like they wanted to be somewhere else .

Edited by 7.62

3 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

.......Why on Earth did they not spend the night on shore???

Well. from my perspective, because that boat looked way more comfortable, and no bears are going to swim out and board it. Plus it has nice, hot showers!

Another reason might be that since it's native land, and an anchored boat is perfectly legal, they decided to avoid potential trouble. They might not have even had a permit to walk around there, but I hope they did. It might have been a stipulation of the permit.

14 hours ago, Huntster said:

Well. from my perspective, because that boat looked way more comfortable, and no bears are going to swim out and board it. Plus it has nice, hot showers!

Another reason might be that since it's native land, and an anchored boat is perfectly legal, they decided to avoid potential trouble. They might not have even had a permit to walk around there, but I hope they did. It might have been a stipulation of the permit

That's your A.O., so you would know better than me, but....would a permit really be a big enough concern for them to not be willing to do night research?  Didn't look like many rangers out and about ticketing.  

I mean, they made such a big deal about being the only research team to ever enter that area.  It seems like they would have tried to cram every second of field research possible into that trip... including a night investigation..  Maybe it was just poor editing, but it seems like that was definitely not the case.  

Lol.....no "rangers", but there could be some hostile Indians. 

Were it me, I'd get a permit from the Port Graham village for a 3 or 4 day hike from Port Chatham to Rocky Bay. You wouldn't need to mouth the word "sasquatch"......unless you were planning a YouTube presentation, which I would definitely not be doing.

Or, more likely, I'd do it like the folks in the video did: anchor in the gay and poke around the place for a few days. 

Or both, in two different trips.

But, really, the last report I've heard of the place was in the mid-70's, some 55 years ago. 

But @ 50-75 miles by crew flight to the east, in Kenai Fiords National Park, Les Stroud had his experience not too many years ago. That area is truly remote. You won't see people in there. But you'll still need a permit.......this one from the "rangers". Stroud filmed a Survivorman episode in there without the permit, and the National Park Service rousted him up later and fined him several thousand dollars.......despite never having done so th o Timothy Treadwell, who they knew was in Katmai National Park screwing with the bears annually for 13 years.

Go figure.........or just shoot yourself a sasquatch and trust your local ranger....

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Lol.....no "rangers", but there could be some hostile Indians. 

Were it me, I'd get a permit from the Port Graham village for a 3 or 4 day hike from Port Chatham to Rocky Bay. You wouldn't need to mouth the word "sasquatch"......unless you were planning a YouTube presentation, which I would definitely not be doing.

Or, more likely, I'd do it like the folks in the video did: anchor in the gay and poke around the place for a few days. 

Or both, in two different trips.

But, really, the last report I've heard of the place was in the mid-70's, some 55 years ago. 

But @ 50-75 miles by crew flight to the east, in Kenai Fiords National Park, Les Stroud had his experience not too many years ago. That area is truly remote. You won't see people in there. But you'll still need a permit.......this one from the "rangers". Stroud filmed a Survivorman episode in there without the permit, and the National Park Service rousted him up later and fined him several thousand dollars.......despite never having done so th o Timothy Treadwell, who they knew was in Katmai National Park screwing with the bears annually for 13 years.

Go figure.........or just shoot yourself a sasquatch and trust your local ranger....

Thanks for the info. Nothing beats first hand knowledge.

Just now, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Thanks for the info. Nothing beats first hand knowledge.

Oh, that's not really first hand. I've fished outside Port Chatham once, but never been in the bay. I have, however, been harassed by natives elsewhere.

BTW, the waters of Cook Inlet south of Point Pogibshi can truly be frightening. That big boat was a good choice. When the tide is running in and out of the inlet there, one can see some extremely nasty seas. We did there, returning to Kachemak Bay in 25' confused seas. It was ugly. And I was quite concerned.........

Just now, Huntster said:

Oh, that's not really first hand. I've fished outside Port Chatham once, but never been in the bay. I have, however, been harassed by natives elsewhere.

BTW, the waters of Cook Inlet south of Point Pogibshi can truly be frightening. That big boat was a good choice. When the tide is running in and out of the inlet there, one can see some extremely nasty seas. We did there, returning to Kachemak Bay in 25' confused seas. It was ugly. And I was quite concerned.........

You weren't tempted to head to shore at Chatham and take a look around?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2020 at 8:17 PM, 7.62 said:

I think the kids were a little freaked out on the prospect ,

Maybe that was suppose to be the original plan and it changed?

The big  heavy set guy I think would have been all for it but the kids seemed like they had really no interest during the whole video . They looked like they wanted to be somewhere else .

I was all for it...and it may hopefully, happen in the future. We did have permission to be there, and have permission to go back. We went back last year and filmed something for the upcoming show Alaska Triangle. I understand it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but where else can you get the footage of that area like we got? In my opinion, it's worth the cost of a viewing just for the scenery alone.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BeansBaxter78 said:

I was all for it...and it may hopefully, happen in the future. We did have permission to be there, and have permission to go back. We went back last year and filmed something for the upcoming show Alaska Triangle. I understand it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but where else can you get the footage of that area like we got? In my opinion, it's worth the cost of a viewing just for the scenery alone.

If I remember correctly, you were the guy in charge of security... right?  

You came across as competent and took the subject matter seriously.  Nothing worse than a Monday morning quarterback, so I will say that I am glad that someone had the opportunity to go up there.

How long were you all on the ground in Port Chatham?