Staying Silent Or Not?

Tylo

Do you feel you should remain silent while searching for Sasquatch or not?  I actually do think Sasquatch probably have superior hearing and I would think they are extremely familiar with their territory.  If they are interested in humans (at least at that moment) why try to conceal noise? I would think it would draw them to you if they are feeling curious.  You can laugh, but whenever I go outside I always say, "Hello, everybody!"  It's true that I talk to my squadron of birds and the usual furry and scaled wildlife.  But after looking into the Sasquatch world, I actually say it whenever I go into any wooded area.  I probably also hum to myself and I talk ("What are you?" when trying to identify a plant or bird, etc.)  I do give heads up to the usual wildlife, they can scram or stay and watch me. 

I've watched many of videos where people remain silent, I realize if you are trying to capture sounds that it would be necessary.  But why not speak out to anyone who might be listening? 

1 hour ago, Tylo said:

Do you feel you should remain silent while searching for Sasquatch or not?

It depends on what you are trying to do.   If you are trying to sneak up on a stupid monkey, "be vewwwwy quiet."  (Best Elmer Fudd imitation, of course.)   If you are trying to pique the curiosity of an intelligent ape or alt.human, then you need to let them know you are around to look at and a bit of noise is a good way to attract their attention.

Personally, I don't bother trying to sneak around them.   Who am I kidding, they know I'm there, so all I do by sneaking is behave in a worrisome way.   I don't yell, holler, etc, but I do talk to the people I'm with.  We tell jokes, play catch, .. interact peacefully.  Generally it is family or friends, so ACT like it is a family or friends outing, not like you're doing paramilitary sneaky ops.  

MIB

• Upvote 1

To catch one unawares, you need cover sounds IMHO .. running water, storm, something.   And you need to not sound human.   I think both of those factored in for Roger and Bob on Oct 20, 1967.   The running water of Bluff Creek and riding horseback instead of walking.

MIB

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MIB said:

To catch one unawares, you need cover sounds IMHO .. running water, storm, something.   And you need to not sound human.   I think both of those factored in for Roger and Bob on Oct 20, 1967.   The running water of Bluff Creek and riding horseback instead of walking.

MIB

Or to catch one bedded down during the daylight hours. In groups I'm sure they have a sentry but ones that are alone must bed down during the day also,

Ever have a bedded deer pop up and scare you 15 feet in front of you?

Now imagine a 8 foot tall 600 pound Sasquatch  doing that. I think we would all be changing our pants after that.  :D

It depends,  is correct. Are we trying to allow it to come to us or try to see or catch one coming through?  If the latter, I'd be in camo (or a ghillie suit), sit silently, and not move. If it's coming through area, and I do what I'm supposed to do, I highly doubt it would ever know I'm there until I move or make a noise.

Maybe all of their senses are all highly developed...they can hear a leaf fall, smell a human a mile away, and see better than an eagle... but I doubt it.

• Upvote 1

A curious creature will investigate something unusual in their territory. Watch your domestic pets. Dogs perk up, cats are drawn to scratching noises, deer in rut answer to antler rattling. A twig snap close to camp one night a few years ago had my dog up and barking at the edge of the woods (long tether) and me following with a flashlight. Nothing there but the investigative reaction was interesting. Even my spouse was next to me with her own flashlight. Why do people call blast? Wood knock? To get a BF's attention of course.

So curiosity over something not normally in the area could be irresistible. A harmonica, a recorder, and other small noise makers do not occur in the wild. Children playing in a back yard, operating machinery, and other activities normal to us have been attributed to result in a Sasquatch encounter. I think generally normal activities and noises around camp might even be so well know a Sasquatch might not get drawn in. A younger one though, followed by an adult, might be a stronger possibility sine juveniles may not be familiar with such things and want to go check things out. Is a 3 or 4 footer any less of an encounter? And 8 footer is what most folks think of but a small ones would be just as amazing. Maybe even more dangerous as a protective parent could take what one does or how one reacts as being threatening. As with all things- Be Safe.     

The only time that we try to be quiet is when we are actively trying to hear something.  We operate under the assumption that these things know that we are there the moment that we enter their areas.  

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

We operate under the assumption that these things know that we are there the moment that we enter their areas.

Lots of other animals and birds know it too. Deer can hear the nearly silent squeak of an arrow drawn across it's rest. It takes an incredible amount of focus and work to not be detected. Let's face it Humans are detected. Like the report by the hog hunter in Texas in his blind. He had been there for hours. A Sasquatch snuck in from tree to tree and grabbed a hog from a clearing. On its way out with the hog under its arm it turned and growled at the hunter in the stand. And that's someone probably in camo, up in a tree stand, being as silent, odorless, and as hidden as they can be. 

Plenty of campers report things walking around camp. I would assume that if the walkers are Sasquatches then they are more than likely not hunting. Notice, I said ASSUME :O  because they are still wild creatures. Big, fast, and strong wild creatures. So even curiosity over campers could be a misjudgment. And although not much has been noted with a camp attacks one shouldn't be complacent and say, "Oh look at the pretty Bigfoot".

When you enter a BF zone, and walk quietly into the wind with forest colors on, then chances of seeing a BF would be better in my opinion. However if several BFs are spread out with some down wind then things change. The down wind BFs will probably tree knock, whistle, or make bird calls to inform the others of your presence. This can be called group coordination and is one way BFs remain hidden and are hard to find.   

Edited by georgerm
add more
  • Downvote 1

You aren't going to sneak up on anything out there. If you pay attention you'll notice the songbirds give you away, they signal to others you're coming, then the squirrels and like chime in, anything within a quarter mile knows you're there pretty quick and thats just the "dumb animals", that said....

Vocals and woodknocks in my opinion work against you, when they do it, they are doing it back and forth with each other to alert others YOU are there and similar, so staying quiet just makes more sense. Besides, I have never had any problem hearing a typical conversing set of hikers way off so with "them" attuned to their surroundings as they are going to hear you to, but the whole kocking/calling/whooping thing is just stupid.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, vinchyfoot said:

but the whole kocking/calling/whooping thing is just stupid

It is at the very least something that stresses other animals unnecessarily. At worst it has created another level of potential hoaxing. That creature leaves pieces of itself all over its habitat. Collect those pieces. It's the closest thing one has in working toward the kind of proof science will look at and accept. The language of science today lies in getting the most bang for the buck, to make funding stretch as far as it can. When I start my thread, "Solve For Bigfoot" I will begin it with an email I sent off to Dr. Jeffrey Meldrum today. I have my issues with him as most here know, so am not at all depending on him for discovery. But there are other things he can do if he he's at all serious about this subject. And I expect that he is, but it's also time for him to not wait until someone calls him in on something before doing anything.

Edited by hiflier

1 hour ago, vinchyfoot said:

You aren't going to sneak up on anything out there. If you pay attention you'll notice the songbirds give you away, they signal to others you're coming, then the squirrels and like chime in, anything within a quarter mile knows you're there pretty quick and thats just the "dumb animals", that said....

This is not correct.    You must not be a hunter, or if you are, not a very good one.   I frequently move through the woods with critters entirely oblivious to my presence.   You don't do that by stumbling along at a regular walking speed, you learn to move at the pace of the woods, be one with it, in it, not an intruder passing through it.    My best example of this was at the end of high school when I took one term off to hunt.    I suspected the presence of a buck on a particular ridge so I put a sneak on it.   I came up behind that deer without it detecting me.    It was oblivious right up to the instant I poked it in the ribs with my rifle barrel, then it jumped straight up and tried to flee in 3 directions at the same time.   If I can, others can, and it's a pretty good bet sasquatch can.   At the same time, it's an equally good bet since I can do it to others, it can be done to me, and probably to sasquatch, with enough patience and opportunities.     But you can't do it as a bumbling idiot in the woods, you have to become part of it, not an invader through it.

MIB

• Downvote 1

I'm under no illusions that I'll be sneaking in on anything that makes the wilds its home so i go about my typically solo "business" as usual. Talking to myself sometimes for the "benefit" of eavesdroppers. Another tool i use frequently to broadcast my presence is a pipe with at least a 50/50 blend of some aromatic tobacco. Don't necessarily like smoking the fragrant stuff, usually vanilla/nutty, but methinks it may have some appeal wafting through the woods. Also identifiable as a specific anomaly---oh THAT guy again...

• Upvote 1

As long as you can cover your scent it's always.  Always movement that gives you away. I've had animals look straight at me and watch me for up to 2 or 3 minutes and then continue what they were doing with out being alarmed.