Why can't we find and study Bigfoot?

georgerm

This question is very simple, but there are many answers that begin to create a complicated picture. There are many researchers looking for Sasquatch, and the use of technology is becoming more complex yet the results are still poor. The quality of researchers is improving with some having advanced degrees in primatology. The question is simple, “Why have we not been able to find Bigfoot, film, and study this creature in its natural habitat?” Are bigfoots too rare?  Do bigfoots have super keen senses and brain power? Do they hide in steep mountain hide outs? Do they detest humans which motivates them to hide better? Are they dying out? Are they migrating north to Canada?  

• Downvote 1

I don't think that we will be able to answer that question until we have actually 'discovered' them.  Then, with the benefit of hindsight, we will be able to see what factors contributed to their elusiveness.  

I think that if we really knew why they were so hard to find, then we could adjust our efforts to overcome those obstacles.  

We won't know until we KNOW.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, georgerm said:

.........Are bigfoots too rare?  Do bigfoots have super keen senses and brain power? Do they hide in steep mountain hide outs? Do they detest humans which motivates them to hide better? Are they dying out? Are they migrating north to Canada?  

I believe you have mostly answered your question. I think all of the above are true, and perhaps more...........

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Huntster said:

I believe you have mostly answered your question. I think all of the above are true, and perhaps more...........

Hunster you have loads of experience and one reason probably stands out. Pick the strongest answer and explain why and what reasons may back up your answer. Expound on the weakest reason and try to tie in facts that researchers have found. 

54 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I don't think that we will be able to answer that question until we have actually 'discovered' them.  Then, with the benefit of hindsight, we will be able to see what factors contributed to their elusiveness.  

I think that if we really knew why they were so hard to find, then we could adjust our efforts to overcome those obstacles.  

We won't know until we KNOW.

One reason may pop out at you and speculation can be interesting. Scientist propose theories and then see if facts we know fit. Facts like bigfoots are known to be nocturnal and they  use whistles, bird calls, whoops, and calls to communicate. They have been known to roam the woods in groups. Speculate and try to use some basis for an answer. Have fun ....... 

31 minutes ago, georgerm said:

Hunster you have loads of experience and one reason probably stands out. Pick the strongest answer and explain why and what reasons may back up your answer. Expound on the weakest reason and try to tie in facts that researchers have found.........

I really don't think a single answer or factor is the magic answer, but I will rank them and comment on each:

Are bigfoots too rare? 

I am very confident that these creatures are very rare. I really don't think there are many more than 5000 continent wide. Considering their huge range, which also holds approximately 1 million black bears, this makes for extremely low density. This is probably the primary reason why they are hard to catch.

Are they dying out?

I suspect they are, very slowly. I suspect their density was higher 1000 years ago, but we may never know that for sure.

Are they migrating north to Canada?  

I believe they are becoming less dense in the American Lower 48 just like most larger mammals. As the human population increases, other large mammals are under increasing pressure. Canada, especially 150 miles and more north of the US border, holds many fewer humans and is a safer environment for larger mammals.

Do bigfoots have super keen senses and brain power?

When American immigrants met native Americans on the push west, they believed Indians had almost super keen senses in the wilds. Compared to city folk, they did. In a similar sense, modern man does not have the same senses that a prehistoric hominid would have in the wild. I believe in the case of sasquatches versus Homo sapiens, this is the case.

Do they hide in steep mountain hide outs?

This factor is closely related to their intellect and ability to survive in the wilderness. Yes, they probably inhabit the most wild areas that have no Homo sapiens there. There are probably more than one reason for this too. There are likely to be more resources for them to eat, and fewer humans to hide from.

Do they detest humans which motivates them to hide better?

I don't think it's as much hatred as it is fear and wisdom. All animals hide from us, Because we behave like super predators. However, park animals who do not see our predatory behavior, so they behave as if we are tourists, which we are.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I think that if we really knew why they were so hard to find, then we could adjust our efforts to overcome those obstacles

We can adjust our efforts easily. Rare? Hard to find? We have ways around that now, today, and so our main move should be toward those ways. Keeping doing things the way we've always done hasn't worked. We need to embrace a new methodology. Doing so may be the only way to counter a species that seems to be getting more rare and elusive as time goes by. If more time goes by before we act then a trend of less and less trace evidence may result in eventually having NO trace evidence left to be found. Pretty sad to think that Sasquatch would end up only existing on the internet. That shouldn't be our, or its, legacy.

Edited by hiflier

BFF Patron

I flew with a guy who was a marine special forces operator in Vietnam.     If what he did was known,  and he was fairly open with me because of my service record,    he would be considered in today's world, a war criminal.    They operated by slipping undetected into remote villages, in Vietcong territory, find the sympathetic to the North village leaders and assassinating them so there was no doubt it was done by US forces,   then slipping away without detection.     The objective being making being friendly with the North Vietnamese, dangerous to your health.   They might spend days on an operation and were very careful to not mistakenly take out the wrong person or be detected.      If someone with those skills were thrown against the bigfoot question,  we just might succeed in establishing contact, observation,  and collecting one for science.    I suspect that the government has already used people with those skills for that purpose.       While we weekend bigfoot research warriors, may think we are adequate for the task,   most of us are not trained, equipped, and well practiced in the necessary skills to establish and maintain contact with a tribe of bigfoot that does not want to be found.     Some who have in the military would be my best choice for similar operations regarding bigfoot.   

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

Some who have in the military would be my best choice for similar operations regarding bigfoot.

I think it comes down to what we truly think would be necessary to have a scientifically verified end result showing Bigfoot exists. So far we have done everything we think is necessary, but nothing has panned out. Time to move on? Or do we keep doing the same thing every chance we get? Knowing that our past efforts, which were sometimes promising early on, have yielded little if anything for the time and money spent over years or, in some cases, decades? Great to be out there. And though I can't deny the pleasure I get from it, I realize I need to modernize and use the best resources available if I want Sasquatch existence to become a publicly known fact.                                                                                                                     

4 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

This is the answer I would give.  You beat me to it.    Kudos!!!

I truly don't know why we can't find them.   If I did, I'd find a way to overcome that.   I think we have to be open to all possibilities, to studying whatever factors seem to come to the table with as much science as we can muster, but not discard any answer just because we can't find a way to apply science to it.

MIB

Edited by MIB
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

But isn't it those "factors contributed to their elusiveness" that are keeping us from discovering them in the first place? So which do we do first? discover them? Or discover the facts of their elusiveness so that we CAN discover them :)

*Hint*: there are no elusive maneuvers that will hide them from e-DNA.

Edited by hiflier

georgerm,

I believe the answer to your question is a lack of patience on the part of those involved in the hunt. Think of Goodall and Fossey. Some of the reported habituators have spent  years in building relationships. Most people use the "Finding Bigfoot" approach, when in their environment they are smarter than we are.

Just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, indiefoot said:

georgerm,

I believe the answer to your question is a lack of patience on the part of those involved in the hunt.

I agree in part. But I also think the situation here is way different in many respects. There are a LOT of researchers out there. Some with guns to shoot the creature on sight. We have had road crossings for decades, camp visitations, footprints galore,  home property intrusions, reported vehicle chases, and not one photo as clear and crisp, including videos (except for one- 52 years ago), that are anywhere near the caliber we get of Gorillas or Chimpanzees. Which, by the way, also live in the world's zoos. IOW, there's no need to be patient.  

Edited by hiflier

NA will tell you why but it's woo . I  communicate with some who grew up on a reservation and he says they are not flesh and blood all the time.

He is wrong and the ones who say they are just animals right? So far the ones saying just animals aren't batting 1000 

I don't discount anything when searching now , not a thing 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 7.62 said:

NA will tell you why but it's woo . I  communicate with some who grew up on a reservation and he says they are not flesh and blood all the time.

He is wrong and the ones who say they are just animals right? So far the ones saying just animals aren't batting 1000 

I don't discount anything when searching now , not a thing 

Same here.  

I don't know what is going on with this.  No one does.

• Upvote 2

Who exactly is going out there and spending time trying to friend them like Jane Goodall ? I haven't heard of anyone. People are afraid to get close to them. It's not so simple. It's terrifying. When you see how fast they move and the fact that your not leaving unless they let you leave. So unless someone has the courage and no fear of dying I don't see them being discovered for science. Except one being shot. There are not ton's of people out there trying to prove they are real. Most people still don't believe and don't go out into the woods. I also don't believe in the woo part. NA also believe all animals are spiritual and have powers. 

• Upvote 2